Votes: 112 14.1%
  • Other

Votes: 42 5.3%

• Total voters
801 - 808 of 808 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Hyundai is Korean... Big difference. I am not a fan of Chinese junk. Taiwan makes good tools. Japan...quality. Hong Kong is great. Mainland China, not so much.

Who did the complaints regarding the sportwagens come from? I was hoping to get a manual TDI if I can't find the right 9-5 wagon.
I know Hyundai is Korean, I was using it as an example. I work with a ton of Chinese companies who sell to Japan, and HK and they are good products. There are different levels of quality when it comes to assembly lines. Most products labeled HK are Chinese made.

The sportwagens were not comfortable for us. We drove one for a week. I thought it would have handled better but it washed out in turns. The car also had no guts to speak of. All around the seats took some getting use to. Maybe I am spoiled but i could not see selling my wagon to pay for it.

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
If you don't like the power of the SportWagen then get the 1.8 motor, drop in an IS20 turbo from the GTI super cheap (they are collecting dust in garages all over the place, like mine is) and get a tune for it. Boom, near 300WHP and still get same mileage. Won't be lacking for power then.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
If you don't like the power of the SportWagen then get the 1.8 motor, drop in an IS20 turbo from the GTI super cheap (they are collecting dust in garages all over the place, like mine is) and get a tune for it. Boom, near 300WHP and still get same mileage. Won't be lacking for power then.
Agreed. Anything can be modded. I am talking about my impressions on a show room model car. One that I would not mod until the warranty was dead.

I was an avid VW/Audi guy up til the early 2000's. I got tired of reliability issues.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know Hyundai is Korean, I was using it as an example. I work with a ton of Chinese companies who sell to Japan, and HK and they are good products. There are different levels of quality when it comes to assembly lines. Most products labeled HK are Chinese made.

The sportwagens were not comfortable for us. We drove one for a week. I thought it would have handled better but it washed out in turns. The car also had no guts to speak of. All around the seats took some getting use to. Maybe I am spoiled but i could not see selling my wagon to pay for it.

The seats in the sportwagens are a killer for me (all manual adjustment? no way to move the seat bottom?). I have been spoiled with the 9-5 seats. The 9-5 seats are the most comfortable of any car except maybe the phaeton.

·
Super Moderator
18,995 Posts
Agreed. Anything can be modded. I am talking about my impressions on a show room model car. One that I would not mod until the warranty was dead.

I was an avid VW/Audi guy up til the early 2000's. I got tired of reliability issues.
3.5 years

0 dealer trips

things are much better at VAG than early 2000s

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
3.5 years

0 dealer trips

things are much better at VAG than early 2000s
You are probably right. But when you get burned for so many years by a certain brand it gets old. Subaru was the same way with the ****ty 2.5 motor blowing headgaskets all day long.

Oh and I worked for Audi/VW at the time also. They kept us very busy on repairs. :cheesy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wife and I are actually going through this now, her 9-3 was recently totaled. She either wants another 06+ manual 9-3 Aero convertible, or a BMW E64 650ci manual. The Saab is her perfect car, and there's been almost nothing else that I've shown her that makes her feel the same way.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Wife and I are actually going through this now, her 9-3 was recently totaled. She either wants another 06+ manual 9-3 Aero convertible, or a BMW E64 650ci manual. The Saab is her perfect car, and there's been almost nothing else that I've shown her that makes her feel the same way.
I know how you feel. I've started preparing for the future regarding replacement cars and MAN is it tough.
For me, the issue is I now have a fully loaded 2005 9-5 Aero, Nav, Vented seats etc etc etc. I can't find as complete a package for a reasonable cost. The closest I found was a 2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD, but no vented seats and it was $12,000.
I looked at Lexus but they just don't depreciate. Some with 300,000 to 400,000 kms + still going for anything between $6000 and $10,000.
The KIA Optima SX Turbo just doesn't drive the same and interior tactile feel of controls just seem cheap. Like, if I press too hard will the inner plunger of the button jam/break?
I also looked at the Hyundai Genesis 5.4 (the V8 one), but that's not the same driving experience either. Way more luxury though. This is a really difficult decision lol.

801 - 808 of 808 Posts