• Other

Votes: 42 5.3%

• Total voters
781 - 800 of 808 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Audi is part of VAG, same as VW.......

How does keeping prices high keep Audi and BMW on the road, don't understand?
I was thinking parts and repairs. Even if they buy one used, poor folks won't be able to afford the repairs :).

I have no experience here, just stories from people I've met - seems to be a common complaint from those that bought the $4000 BMW or Audi.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I 'll let you know in about 15 years, I think it will take it that long for this car to depreciate down to a $4000 car, haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Volvo 960 Wagon 1997

This is my other car, Its very under rated and makes a great daily with good sleeper qualities. Oh and its sweet inside and seats 7 :roll::roll::roll:

·
Registered
114 Posts
My saab is my first car, I finally learned to drive stick on it, if I was to get another car I’d try to get another stick saab, possibly 92x aero or just another 9-5 aero. ideally tho anything stick really it’s just more fun imo

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
My saab is my first car, I finally learned to drive stick on it, if I was to get another car I’d try to get another stick saab, possibly 92x aero or just another 9-5 aero. ideally tho anything stick really it’s just more fun imo

I would say that Saab put more manual transmissions into more cars, including their premium ones, later than anyone else. Only the 9-4X and 9-7X were automatic-only as far as I know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not a bad choice, nice car. Cost of repair long term on the Audi will beggar you. Sell or trade before warranty runs out. NEVER run the germans off warranty. BMW X drive especially lol
Buying a new German car every 4 years is an excellent way to ensure you are getting maximum depreciation. Not the greatest financial advice, even if you're leasing you're still blowing away tons of money. You're far better off letting someone else lose the 10k per year on depreciation and buy the car out of warranty and spend the 1-2k per year on repairs, if that.

Also buying used is a great, cause by then the car has been around long enough to research it's reliability, so you know what you're buying. Most Mercedes and BMW I have bought in the past have costed me no more to maintain than any regular car to be honest.

I was thinking parts and repairs. Even if they buy one used, poor folks won't be able to afford the repairs :).

I have no experience here, just stories from people I've met - seems to be a common complaint from those that bought the $4000 BMW or Audi.
Old Audi's and BMW's weren't great in reliability. In the last 7 years however they've been pretty good. Even BMW 335's which were horrible Pre 2012 with the N54 engine are now actually very reliable in F30 chassis 2012+ N55 engine.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Lexus. Every day of the week.
Your choice, boring to me. A Camry with more sound insulation and slightly tuned engine, just my opinion. I have seen videos of their underside and very basic stuff.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Of course it's my choice. That's how this works :cheesy:

Before they went all hybrid extremely well designed and relatively easy to work on. Reliability second to none and a real feeling that engineers rather than accountants led from the start.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Lexus. Every day of the week.
Your choice, boring to me. A Camry with more sound insulation and slightly tuned engine, just my opinion. I have seen videos of their underside and very basic stuff.
A common thing I hear is that a Lexus is just a fancy Camry. While that may technically be correct, there’s really no comparison. I used to have a 2003 ES and I’ve also driven a Camry of the same year. The feel/quality/smoothness of the Lexus puts the Camry to shame. A bit of a boring car, yes, but it sure was a smooth quiet ride. It was electric car quiet at idle. Unlike our vibration-prone Saabs, lol.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There's also real thought given to the smaller maintenance tasks. I went straight from a couple of V70s ('03 and '05) to an '02 IS 300. The difference was astonishing.

I've now passed the IS on to my dad because it's a keeper. It will outlive all of us.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I test drove a TourX. Nice, but not super impressed. The sightlines are not the best and the ride is more luxury car than sport car. No spare, no manual, no heated rear seats, no ventilated front seats. The leather is hard, almost like vinyl.

Really disappointed.

I also test drove a VW alltrack (manual). Very tight and sporty, but again, the front seats are all manually adjustable. The passenger seats is even more decontented and doesn't even allow a good ajustment on the seat bottom.

The Volvos are just WAY overpriced for what you get...plus they are now a Chinese company. I can't imagine paying 60K+ for a vehicle.

I may look at a 2013-14 VW sportwagen too see how that handles.

Nothing matches the 9-5 combiwagen (so far).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the VW wagon, getting 37 miles to the gallon and 29 in town sounds great. However, the horse power 147 is nothing compared to my 2000 Saab 95 3.0 SE Wagon getting over 200, about 28 mpg I also like the Atlas which gets good milage

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I test drove a TourX. Nice, but not super impressed. The sightlines are not the best and the ride is more luxury car than sport car. No spare, no manual, no heated rear seats, no ventilated front seats. The leather is hard, almost like vinyl.

Really disappointed.

I also test drove a VW alltrack (manual). Very tight and sporty, but again, the front seats are all manually adjustable. The passenger seats is even more decontented and doesn't even allow a good ajustment on the seat bottom.

The Volvos are just WAY overpriced for what you get...plus they are now a Chinese company. I can't imagine paying 60K+ for a vehicle.

I may look at a 2013-14 VW sportwagen too see how that handles.

Nothing matches the 9-5 combiwagen (so far).
We had so many complaints about the Alltrack and Sportwagens that we crossed them off our list. Such a disappointment.

Do not knock the chinese until you try it. We have a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 that will put most cars to shame.

Good luck on the search. It gets a little disheartening.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We had so many complaints about the Alltrack and Sportwagens that we crossed them off our list. Such a disappointment.

Do not knock the chinese until you try it. We have a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 that will put most cars to shame.

Good luck on the search. It gets a little disheartening.
Hyundai is Korean... Big difference. I am not a fan of Chinese junk. Taiwan makes good tools. Japan...quality. Hong Kong is great. Mainland China, not so much.

Who did the complaints regarding the sportwagens come from? I was hoping to get a manual TDI if I can't find the right 9-5 wagon.

781 - 800 of 808 Posts