SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my dealer install the metal interior trim. My car should be ready to pickup this afternoon. The wood center console runs $140.00. The door trim pieces run $180.00.

I was think of selling them for $200.00. Does this seem like a fair price for two month old used trim :-??

Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
470 Posts
The price seems fair, but I don't think there is a big market for the wood trim. If people are going to spend the money on trim I think they would get the metal like you did. But good luck anyway.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
when you actually pick up the wood trim .. see if it's actually "real" wood trim, or the faux wood trim.

I don't expect a honkin' piece of 2x4 lumber in my car, but I also didn't expect it to sound like plastic when I knocked on it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
hey finkle ...

i dont think the old door trims can be re-installed ... i'm not sure ...but i also bought the metal door trims i have them in the box im my trunk waiting for the dealer's workshop to get some kind of hooks or plugs that holds the trims in place... these are WELDED into the frame of the door... they ordered these bits and im suppose to take my car to fit them on saturday ...

anyways let me know what happens when u pick up ur car

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the instuctions that came in the box. You have to drill out the 4 clips on the old piece. Then you have to melt the new clips in with a soldering iron :eek:

I will see if there is any clip left after they drilled them out.

The center console just snaps into place. It took me all of One minute to install it.

Yes the pieces are plastic. When you see the back of the piece. It looks like the wood in painted on. :nono;

I remember somebody saying that thr black plastic on the Linear scratches easy.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I made a post about this awhile back.. while vacuming my car I scrathed the "wood" and it might be real wood, but if it is the depth is less than a mm.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I scratched my wood center console too. :cry:

It can't be real wood. I've seen auto interior shows here in Detroit where they can pretty much make any texture/pattern with plastics & composites. Most likely it's a laminated peice of plastic. Adding wood would just cost to much to manufacture.

But then again, for $140. Holy shnikees.

I wonder what I can use to get the scratch out.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just picked up my car. The bill for them to install the steering wheel controls and door trim. $280.00 :eek: :eek:

I was thinking about $150.00 tops. I thought it would take about a hour and half. Boy was I wrong :(

The metal trim transforms the car into a real sports sedan. Even though its painted plastic. 8) They destroyed two of the wood trim inserts. They have to drill out the old ones. I knew they couldn't save the old ones. Oh well. I still have the center console. You would think that since they sell this stuff in the Saabcatalog, they would of came up with a better way to secure the trim to the doors

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks like Im not the only one who has scratched the center trim with a vacuum... Just happened today and I am pretty pissed about it. :evil: :evil: :evil: I guess my only hope is to try and take some light rubbing compound to it or replace..but I am not gonna pay over 200 for a piece of plastic..Just looking at the window sticker and it says "poplar wood trim". Shouldnt it say "easily scratched wood looking plastic????

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look for some Old English scratch remover in the store. I don't know if they still make it. I had some in the closet for about ten years. It works pretty good on my fake wood at home.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I wrapped my "wood" trim with 3M Scotchcal film so now I have 'fake" metal trim but it sure fooled a lot of people into thinking it was standard original trim. I also wrapped the door handles but I haven't got any pictures of it yet. Check it out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Its real wood. It is also, however, thin, and laminated to several backers to prevent it from splintering in a crash. If you manged to scratch the low lustre finish (very Swedish, IMO), then I would hate to see what would happen if it were a gloss finish.
If you want to clean around your console, go out and get a make-up brush, and use it to dust it off. Much better than attacking it with a vacuum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's not real wood. I didn't think it was so I asked the group of guys at the Saab proving grounds and they confirmed it was nothing but metal covered with wood grain paint.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
so should we start a poll? Is it real wood or fake wood, and whatever side wins the poll, the other side has to be forced into believing it?

:)

finklejag, you have some destroyed pieces, why not futz around with them to see if you can get a wooden splinter in your finger or something? ;-)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
mbodo
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing