SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ad says they're 17" BBS rims. But they look like 18" Independence Edition rims to me?

·
Super Moderator
1,500 Posts
Look to be in very good condition from the pic above. I agree with Qwik, I’d suggest a thorough cleaning and ceramic coating before installing on your ride. That’ll keep it looking great and way easier to clean.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree they're snappy-looking rims. I am slovenly on keeping rims clean and I run Saab OEM brake pads which dust a lot.

The seller has them listed as 17" rims and gives the tire size, and also has Saab and BBS centre caps, that's why I wonder if they're somehow copies?

I have contacted the seller. He's confident in the condition of the rims, but my experience is that unless you check and verify that they're all round, one or more of them won't be. And he's not keen on my doing the simple check of mounting them up one by one on a back wheel and spinning them up by hand.

·
Registered
17,226 Posts
My experience too with Saab rims... at least one is always bent :). If it's on your car, why does he care if you mount and spin? (Aside: This was such a problem that I seriously considered making a jig-stand with an OG 9-3 strut and cut axle to spin wheels before buying. But, that was in the old days when I had multiple cars and collected wheels :).

See if you can get him to send you a high resolution version of that photo with the full sidewall. Then you can zoom it to see the actual size. If you don't have the tools to do that I can do it for you.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might stop by to look at them New Year's Day, take a scenic route back from the cottage.

I don't really want a set of rims that potentially someone might actually want to steal! (Not a problem with your average 15"/16" Saab rim.)

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Not a fan of these. Always look good standalone but on car they look like like crap.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am questioning whether I want to use 17" rims--I have a set of Anniversary rims where a couple have minor bends that should be straightforward to remove (famous last words). 18" rims are a non-starter for me, not nearly enough sidewall for typical road conditions.

So the original point was to ask if there was a 17" version of the 18" independence rims. I see people get rim diameters wrong all the time, but tire size, you should be just reading it off the sidewall. And those look like hefty sidewalls in the picture.

Right now, for winter storage, I have 16" 9-5 "snowflake" rims with absurdly old (2008) Michelin Primacy MXV tires. And you know, the steering feel is a lot better than when I was driving around with the 17" rims. I might just switch to using 16" rims on the theory that it's better to feel good than to look good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts