SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

OK, so I have a 2000 9-5 Aero with an automatic transmission. Recently the locking mechanism that won't let you shift the car out of park if you foot is not on the brake or won't let you shift into reverse without pulling that little trigger stuck so that the car could not be put in drive. My dad took the car to a local mechanic who knows nothing about Saabs and told him to fix it. I was completely against this, as this is my car and I didn't want someone to work on it who knows nothing about Saabs. They did, however, fix that problem but they caused another.

When I got back into the car the plastic cover that surrounds the gear shift (the cover that has Park, Reverse, Neutral...written on it) was not on right. It would appear that it is held on by a seal that should never be broken, hence when it is broken it doesn't really properly attached and it pops up on one end and is crooked on the other. I am extremely frustrated because the car had a SPOTLESS interior prior to this, and my dad didn't listen to me by taking it to this place. I baby the heck out of this car, and when someone who doesn't know what they are doing screws something up it can be quite irritating.

Point is, before I take it back there, would this mechanic have had any business trying to pop that thing off? Isn't there some other way to get in there? If that was what he was supposed to remove, does anyone have any hints on how to properly re-attach it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just solved my problem through some good 'ol brute force! I just banged on it with my fist until it looked right, all flush and tight. Unfortunately the little soft rubber seal around it still isn't "sealing" but it looks good and doesn't wiggle around anymore. Thanks for the diagram and the response though, it is much appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts