SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

Does anyone know as to what type of gas mileage one could obtain from a 91 saab 900 turbo 2.0? I am big on using premium fuel (Shell V-Power), because it has always seem to work for all of my vehicles. Most of my driving is 99% hwy, and averaging about 1,000 miles per a week @ 65-75mph. I am wondering if my copper NKG V-power plugs would hold up well with my engine being turbo and all? I have always used NGK, but I have been conteplating getting the NGK Iridium plugs, what say you. Also would a good 5w-40 be too much for the colder months (shearing concerns), or could I get away with a good Havoline 5W-30 mineral based? I am unsure as to what the previous owner used. The car has about 174xxx original miles on it! On another post, I also was advised to use type F automatic transmission fluid? Would Mecron V be too much and or the incorrect type? Please all inquires would be greatly appreciated!:)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
generally anywhere between 25 and 35 mpg depending on driving techniques and gearing

as for plugs, anything other than the stock NGK BCP7EVX is not recommended....

a good 10w40 synthetic is also the order of the day

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Premium gas actually gives poorer fuel mileage but better performance.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
My 90 900 T was giving me about 22 miles per gallon US. EPA rating is 18/29 isn't it?

I did a long trip and averaged 27,5. This was averaging 90 mi/h speeds on the way down, and I had a extra hood tied to the roof dragging me down on the way back (averaging 50 mi/h).

Later I noticed I had a hole in the fuel filter and gasoline was dripping out, so I bought a new fuel filter, put it in the trunk, and haven't driven the car since :lol:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
900t said:
My 90 900 T was giving me about 22 miles per gallon US. EPA rating is 18/29 isn't it?

I did a long trip and averaged 27,5. This was averaging 90 mi/h speeds on the way down, and I had a extra hood tied to the roof dragging me down on the way back (averaging 50 mi/h).

Later I noticed I had a hole in the fuel filter and gasoline was dripping out, so I bought a new fuel filter, put it in the trunk, and haven't driven the car since :lol:
:eek: though true, i made it 150 miles and only used about 1/3 of a tank, and that was averaging 90mph down the interstate

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've had my T16S for nine years and it's been a pretty constant 22mpg in all that time. I do mostly urban driving, not stop start city driving but equally not long distance motorway driving.

My old 900 GLs twin carb used to do 24mpg on average but i had a longer journey to work then.

My old 9000S averaged between 30-32Mpg in the same sort of driving as the T16S.

I've yet to do enough driving in my new 900i 8v as the bloody front handbrakes need stripping down and a new PS rack fitted before it's back on the road.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 88 900 NA 16V gets 24-25 mpg. I have a 18 mi commute one way. Four stop lights. Never over 60 mph. Small town.

Driving my 8V NA now. Haven't got a good mpg. Same commute.

Its nice to have spare cars;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Gasoline: You can very safely use good old normal, non-high octane.

Spark Plugs: Use stock NGK, forget fancy schmancy iridium.

Oil: Matter of personal preference. IMO, in your climate the 5-30 would be fine.

Transmission Fluid: If you have an automatic, only use type F or FA. Stay away from Mercron or Dextron.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
My 900 gets better milelage than my 9-5:eek:

I would get about 22-24mpg with a mix of driving, daily full redline boosting, and 2k RPMS shifts from 1st-2nd-3rd. I pop her into 5th at 50km/hr when going along thoes long flat urban roads. 4th seems tons of use, this really helps. Shifting at 2,500-3,000 except on hills makes fuel econ drop quickly.

I buy 90 octane gas for both cars, except when I'm going somewhere fun for a weekend, then it is 94 Octane in both cars! BOOOOYAAAA!

THe motto for the 900 turbo APC is:

The higher the Octane the lower the fuel economy. The lower the Octane the lower the fun

Try this nearly impossoble task for fun:

Stay out of boost (except when going up hills at low revs). Shift at 2k rpms and accelerate gently. Let of the gas early when a red it ahead and speed up a touch when a stale green is about (unsafe)-use your good judgement.

If I do this I can get better than EPA figures. Which was an unrealistic fuel useage measurement for the most part. You can get 40MPG US with a 900, but it takes practice and a bit of skill.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I drive very conservatively, never go over 65 mph on the highway, accelerate slowly, shift before the shift light tells me to, slow down to not have to stop at red lights, etc. and I get a consistant 35+ mpg with my '87 900 turbo. I also use Mobil 1 10w30 and run michelan tires. My milage went up when I replaced the Bridgestone tires. I have always used 93 octane gas, but after reading the above I will try lower octane gas. If i "drive" the car, the MPG goes down to the mid to high 20s.

For compairison my Subaru Outback with the H6 3.0 gets about 21,:roll: my Chrysler Town and Country AWD gets 16, :cry: and my dodge truck gets 7. ;oops: I drive the saab alot. It is also more comfortable to drive and has more power than the other cars. Who could ask for anything more?:D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i get an average of 26 mpg in my turbo vert, and around 34 mpg on the highway if i dont play leadfoot

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feed back guys! Are the NGK Bcp7evx plugs platinium or just regular? I have some what I believe to be NGK V-Power versions. Would the turbo wear them out faster, than say a more durable plug? I know that some platinum plugs don't work well with turbos.

What say you?

Thanks again!:D

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Try some different premium & regular fuels. I've got no idea what special addiitives they put in fuels but there is a difference depending on who you go to. I get about an extra 25miles out of a tank of Shell V-Power, compared to some premium & all regular, and performance is better as well. Normal unleaded is, in my opinion, rubbish in a 900 Turbo if you boost a lot. BTW I get about 25-26 UKMPG, and my car has a good few mods.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Albert Trout said:
Try some different premium & regular fuels. I've got no idea what special addiitives they put in fuels but there is a difference depending on who you go to. I get about an extra 25miles out of a tank of Shell V-Power, compared to some premium & all regular, and performance is better as well. Normal unleaded is, in my opinion, rubbish in a 900 Turbo if you boost a lot. BTW I get about 25-26 UKMPG, and my car has a good few mods.
I ditto all of this, I get better MPG and better performance using Shell V Power 97 octane than any other fuel, anything from 29 to 34 (imperial)MPG. Therefore the extra cost of v power is negated by the better MPG.

As for plugs, you have had the standard good advice; NGK BCP7EVX are the only ones to use.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My son's 88 turbo 3 door, on a recent road trip from Atlanta to Houston got 28+ in the hills, and once on the flat in Mississippi, 30+. It is a 5 speed, in good tune. He was averaging about 80 mph. At the posted limit, it should have been well into the 30's.

Mixed driving in town (commuting and errands) show 24 or 25 depending upon how much fun he is having with the boost in 3rd and 4th.

These are great touring cars.:)

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
jetman said:
Premium gas actually gives poorer fuel mileage but better performance.
I don't see that, even though I get less actual fuel per £ pound I get the same MPG as regular RON fuel.

I've had my T16S for nine years and it's been a pretty constant 22mpg in all that time
I get around the same after 6 years and I Bbooooost a lot;), why have a Turbocharged car that is only efficient when its on boost if your not going to use it I say;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts