SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so one of my good friend's dads or uncles or something owns a transmission shop. Assuming they dont turn me away when I mention saab, what should I ask them to look at and fix...in a perfect world.

I hear the pinion bearing is a common failure point, is there a remedy? Also, keep in mind I have a 1991 n/a, what gears should I use to get them longer (as in longer gears, right now im going 45 @ 2,000 rpms in 5th, and it is get there fast...gear wise, the car itself is slower that feb 29th).
Or would you recomend switching to a "stronger" gear box (I hear the older 5spds are stronger, as well as the 4spds.

I'm also looking for smoother shifts, and a better reverse lockout (no idea how this works except for right now it barely does.) Synchros?

Thanks
-Alex

btw: not looking for any serious power...meaning stock, if I really feel the need, I might feed my baby the bottle, but that's unlikely.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Don't take your transmission to anything but a shop that has extensive experience with Saab boxes.

That said, you have a 900s which had a bit taller gearing than the 900t, so unless you find type 8 primarys (you won't) you are pretty much stuck with the gearing you've got.

Also... the older 5 speeds are not stronger. Before '89 I believe they have a smaller pinion setup that are not as good. Your '91 is a good box, some say the newer the better, some say an amalgamation is your best bet. The newest boxes were a bit stronger but had weaker shift forks (rumor?) so it might be a tradeoff.

That said, my most recent box is from a '92 or '93 and it's lasted since Nov '05 with the extra HP and TQ.

You can get the gears cryo-treated & shot peened, install a stronger diff plate to reduce flex, hook up a trans oil cooler, these items will all help.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could really rough shifting be a result of clutch and tranny/motor mounts? and are the mounts easy to replace without pulling out engine or tranny? And what about the clutch, seems like it might not be completely gone (mechanic said it's a newer style, but then again the kid before me did NOT know how to drive...especially manual tranny.) Is it a pain? and where can i get a cheap cheap cheap clutch? donor car?

Thx again

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Clutches are cheap. Get a clutch kit from eeuroparts. Very easy to change in c900, not like a regular car because of engine/transmisison orientation! I did my last clutch in 3 hours I think, and I wasn't rushing at all. And if done properly you don't have to bleed the system. Search here or workshop for guides.

Worn mounts can certainly cause bad shifting. Mounts aren't super cheap but not killer, again check a site sponser for prices. You don't have to pull the engine, but you do have to "lift it" a bit, I usually jack up the engine from under the car. Like before, search here or the workshop for people's experience.

Also, there's a rubber bushing that goes between your shifter & the trans rod, those can go out (mine did, had to drive home in 3rd gear!!!) and can cause bad shifting. Also, the stock shifter is imprecise so a good short-throw unit can help if you still aren't satisfied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts