SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the market for a used car and I am considering a 1997 Saab 900 S Hatchback with 90000 miles. I have a few general questions to help make my decision.

The asking price is $3800, is that fair?

The car has 90,000 miles on it, what maintenance should I expect in the next 10,000 to 20,000 miles?

When I do need to do work on the car, are parts typically hard to find and more expensive because they are not as readily available?

Does the same price difference go with the mechanics?

Any and all insight you could offer would be very helpful.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
658 Posts
on my gm900 i had 200,000 on the original clutch and not a single leak (although front crank seals are common but very easy to change) wheel bearings are common and after ruining a knuckle with a part store bearing i found o.e. ones from the dealer to be cheaper (go figure) the only other problem i had was the lower ball joints which are part of the lower control arm i did find aftermarket ones but were still pricey ($175 ea. ballpark)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Most on this forum are into DIY or using independent mechanics. Going back to dealers can get very expensive. Most work is not difficult if you have some mechanical skills. Some aftermarket parts are cheap and to be avoided but many are now available for a reasonable price at local parts chain stores.

Common maintenance items are belts, pulleys, trans fluid and thermostat around 100k. In the next 100k you'll probably get into front suspension and fuel pump replacement plus some other odds and ends. On the whole, they run very well if the common maintenance activities are performed.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
In the DC area market, that is a little high, we have 99 9-3s which all came with the turbo, and misc trim levels for around that. Don't let milage scare you.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
chanchett said:
I am currently in the market for a used car and I am considering a 1997 Saab 900 S Hatchback with 90000 miles. I have a few general questions to help make my decision.

The asking price is $3800, is that fair?

The car has 90,000 miles on it, what maintenance should I expect in the next 10,000 to 20,000 miles?

When I do need to do work on the car, are parts typically hard to find and more expensive because they are not as readily available?

Does the same price difference go with the mechanics?

Any and all insight you could offer would be very helpful.

Thank you all.
Fuel pumps and CPS tend to go after 100K miles but can last up to 150K on some cars. Ideler pullies and radiator hoses, thermostat need to be replaced if they haven't yet and vacuum hoses.

To tell you the truth, I bought many cars in my life (Toyotas, Hondas, Oldsmobiles, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, BMWs, VWs, Hyundai ......) and they all cost me more to maintain than my SAAB. If you maintain it well and don't wait for the car to break until you fix it, you'll be able to source the parts cheaper than last minutes from the delaer.

For general parts, your local junk yard and ebay are your friends and for electrical parts, sensors, hoses and the likes eeuroparts.com is your friend.

You need to get the car's history to know how it was maintained and by whom! No car history = deduct money for future repairs ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
This thread might be helpful.
Why choose a Saab?
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108370

I also have 1997 900S, 167K miles logged currently.
I purchased in early 2002 at 55K miles from second owner and it has been very reliable.
Of couse, mine has been stranded on the road couple of times due to snapped pulley belt and fuel pump failure recently but it's more about the limited life span of mechanical parts not because particular auto brand.

This thread has good information.
(Has your Saab ever stranded you?)

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93661

My 900s without turbo unit makes a lot easier to many things as DYI.

As far as maintainability, my Saab has been very straightforward.

Parts price and availability is about same with other vehicles.

I never had any problem to get parts I needed either from local parts stores or online sellers such as www.eeruoparts.com , www.thesaabsite.com

But exterior body parts are hard to get as used ones and expensive in my opinion.

How many 1997 Saab do you see compare to, let say, 1997 Honda Accord, on the road?

A year ago, a truck made a big dent on my driverside door and I tried to get a used door panel. Boy,,,it wasn't easy and paid a bit more than other vehicle might have paid.

Mechanic's charge is about same compare to other vehicles.

I never paid any extra hours of work due to unusually hard to access or complicated repair procedure.

Hatchback design was my big attraction and I have been enjoying very much as my workhorse – swallowing up anything fits. There are not many vehicle could match that practicality while enjoying nimble 4cylinder driving experience. No wonder there is outcry of 'Bring back Hatchback'!

This linked picture is from www.trollhattansaab.net

And I can tell you Saab owners are very enthusiastic and love their cars,
(Can I say, 'than other vehicle owners' ?? )

My saab dealer service guy always amazes me with his depth knowledge on Saab.
(The dealer service charge is about same with other vehicles which is criminally expensive.)

I guess Saab has narrower available models and each model stays a lot longer period. I hate to see revolving GM's badge engineering lately but my 1997 900S has been good to me.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
What Hkayssi says is oh so very true.

IMO, the Honda is cheaper to operate than the Saab, BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALER...particularly the Honda
On my '96 900S thus far(three plus years)
Two lower control arms, ball joints were shot.. The older Saabs were much better in this regard....$280 or so
SRS light is on, not positive about the reason....$50
Brakes light bulbs.................$2
Vacuum hoses.................... $3
Usual annual services, oil, filters............$100 or so
Two tires ...................$120
Battery.......................$40
Prissing and pampering....priceless:cheesy:
Thats about it....
Of course, I am a DIY, if not, just move the decimal point......in some places.

I paid but $2,500( 3 years ago), she still needs paint work.....Finally, now the PS fluid is leaking and the alternator is weak..nearly 160K miles.

$3,800 is too high, unless she is absolutely perfect(passes my inspection) and is from the original owner...

·
Registered
412 Posts
i paid $2800, and i talked him down...lol....for my 1997 900se turbo 5dr with 100000 miles....it was a steal considering the body was in mint condition and everything worked perfectly....the only thing that bothered me the most was the interior...the leather wasnt as nice as the rest of the car....but it still was a steal to me...lol

drew

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Drew'sSaab said:
i paid $2800, and i talked him down...lol....for my 1997 900se turbo 5dr with 100000 miles....it was a steal considering the body was in mint condition and everything worked perfectly....the only thing that bothered me the most was the interior...the leather wasnt as nice as the rest of the car....but it still was a steal to me...lol

drew

Looking good and the price is a steal.
Use Jeff's restoration tips for the interior. I think there's a couple of threads on the forum as wlee detailing the restoration process.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2666481/4

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
90,000 is right around time for the next major service. Most fluids need changed NOW, and plugs + wires, unless the 90K service was done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts