SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while inspecting under the hood(bonnet?),of my 92 NA ,I noticed the pcv valve didn't look seated properly.So I pulled it out and it seems the grommet was disinigrating.Unfortunately small pieces of it fell into the engine(small bits,maybe 1 mm or so).I got out all I could.but I'm sure I didn't get it all.I haven't started the car yet.I sure don't want to remove the valve cover if I don't have to:cry: .Any suggestions about what I should do? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
SaabMon said:
Today while inspecting under the hood(bonnet?),of my 92 NA ,I noticed the pcv valve didn't look seated properly.So I pulled it out and it seems the grommet was disinigrating.Unfortunately small pieces of it fell into the engine(small bits,maybe 1 mm or so).I got out all I could.but I'm sure I didn't get it all.I haven't started the car yet.I sure don't want to remove the valve cover if I don't have to:cry: .Any suggestions about what I should do? Thanks.
Yeah common. Dealer is best source for the grommet, they aren't SUPER expensive ($4?).

You need to get the chunks out, really!

Happens ot the best of us.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
woywitka said:
Yeah common. Dealer is best source for the grommet, they aren't SUPER expensive ($4?).

You need to get the chunks out, really!

Happens ot the best of us.
Thanks for the reply.Unfortunately there aren't any Saab dealers near here,so I will probably order from the internet or maybe NAPA.Will the tiny particles possibly work through the system to the filter?What is the worst case scenario? Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
SaabMon said:
Thanks for the reply.Unfortunately there aren't any Saab dealers near here,so I will probably order from the internet or maybe NAPA.Will the tiny particles possibly work through the system to the filter?What is the worst case scenario? Thanks again.
Best case - they go through and don't hurt anything - worst case scenario is a plugged oil passage and a spun rod or main bearing leading to an engine rebuild - if it was my car I'd remove the valve cover and get the bits out. You can then take the valve cover to NAPA and get the correct grommet - so it's not a total loss.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
if it was my car I'd remove the valve cover and get the bits out
+1

Did you taking out the nipple cause the bits to fall in, or had they already fallen in?

·
Registered
801 Posts
WELLLLL there is a plate inside the valve cover that acts as an oil seperator, and more than likely is the bits are stuck inside it, and even taking the cover off you probably won't be able to get them out, eeuroparts.com is probably the best place for random saab parts, $40 purchase and you get free shipping, get a couple grommets, a new valve cover gasket and maybe a couple oil filters and you'll be at $40 roughly....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
TheRedBaron said:
+1

Did you taking out the nipple cause the bits to fall in, or had they already fallen in?
Probably both.I tried to be very careful,but obviously I wasn't careful enough.;oops:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Breakin5speeds said:
WELLLLL there is a plate inside the valve cover that acts as an oil seperator, and more than likely is the bits are stuck inside it, and even taking the cover off you probably won't be able to get them out, eeuroparts.com is probably the best place for random saab parts, $40 purchase and you get free shipping, get a couple grommets, a new valve cover gasket and maybe a couple oil filters and you'll be at $40 roughly....
If taking the cover off,I won't be able to get them out,why should I take it off?:confused: I have already ordered the valve cover gasket,grommet and a pcv nipple from Europarts.I'll take the cover off this weekend and clean it the best I can,change the oil and filter and hope for the best.Thanks for the input.:)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SteveTheFolkie said:
Best case - they go through and don't hurt anything - worst case scenario is a plugged oil passage and a spun rod or main bearing leading to an engine rebuild - if it was my car I'd remove the valve cover and get the bits out. You can then take the valve cover to NAPA and get the correct grommet - so it's not a total loss.
After I get the cover back on,do you think an engine flush is a good idea?Any suggestions?:)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
SaabMon said:
After I get the cover back on,do you think an engine flush is a good idea?Any suggestions?:)
No - it's not like that stuff will disintigrate the rubber bits, all it will do is free up deposits that will create even more problems. I'd just pop the valve cover, take out what you can, and cross your fingers. If it was running fine before you noticed the grommet, and you remove all the rubber that fell in when you took out the grommet, there's a decent chance you will wind up ok. Of course, no guarantees, right :D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TheRedBaron said:
No - it's not like that stuff will disintigrate the rubber bits, all it will do is free up deposits that will create even more problems. I'd just pop the valve cover, take out what you can, and cross your fingers. If it was running fine before you noticed the grommet, and you remove all the rubber that fell in when you took out the grommet, there's a decent chance you will wind up ok. Of course, no guarantees, right :D
Thanks,good advice!This little car is like a tank.It has been through tough times,mostly from me screwing around with it all the time.She has survived two major hurricanes,one accident when the right side was taken out,15 years of Florida sun and she still drives and looks like a champ.I can't imagine a few bits of rubber will slow her down(fingers crossed).:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts