SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to saab with my two day old 1991 turbo 900 and they are telling me this little knob that is just under the control for the left mirror is a interior light control, but that gauge control is on the dash just left of speedometer.

So this little nob spins and nothing happens.

Also my emergency brake does nothing. Broken cable?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The little sombrero knob controls the intensity of lights on the dash (eg for HVAC controls). There is a little "pencil" shaped knob on the instrument cluster that controls the instrument lighting (eg speedo), and it is the one on the right (the center one resets the odo and the left sets the clock).

Sometimes the back of the switch breaks off and you turn it and it spins. You can usually still adjust, probably it is already at MAX so don't bother.

Possible busted cable, possible cable adjustment needed and possible adjustment of mechanism on rear calipers needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. Yea it turns and does nothing.

Alternator is going bad so that's next. There's no belt on the AC unit for some reason which is next, and then the cable for the emergency brake.

I ordered the repair book so maybe i can play around with it.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Go alternator first, then brakes, then A/C, it is winter now :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I didn't realise that knob controlled the HVAC control lighting untill I took the thing it's mounted to out, and zip-tied it in place. Rather nice being able to control the gauge lighting independent of the rest of the stuff.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
fetchitfido said:
I didn't realise that knob controlled the HVAC control lighting untill I took the thing it's mounted to out, and zip-tied it in place. Rather nice being able to control the gauge lighting independent of the rest of the stuff.
See the new-gen boys have only "Black Panel", we can adjust our panel to be as black or as green as we want! :D :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, that's what we thought. Luckily my brother in law lives across the street and he works on his cars and is an aircraft mecahanic so he has my lack of patience.

I worked on our dodges.

Alternator anything doabele yourself or no? Still waiting for the bentley manual to arrive

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Alternator easy peasy, there is some trick you can find on this forum.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've never noticed the knob in question. Do they all have one? I could just go outside and look, but its raining.

Plus I'm curious - "Emergency brake", does this mean handbrake? What use is it in an emergency?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Horns said:
Plus I'm curious - "Emergency brake", does this mean handbrake? What use is it in an emergency?
yes, they're called both, and good question on that second one :lol: mine is barely strong enough to keep the car stopped :eek:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Horns said:
I've never noticed the knob in question. Do they all have one?
Mine doesn't appear to. It sounds like it's where my headlight height adjuster is, between headlight knob and rear fog light switch.

Plus I'm curious - "Emergency brake", does this mean handbrake?
Yup.

What use is it in an emergency?
It gives you something to do other than just scream uselessly.

·
Registered
193 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Mine doesn't appear to. It sounds like it's where my headlight height adjuster is, between headlight knob and rear fog light switch.
Ah, I've got one of those too, so maybe thats why. Was confused by people referring to the left mirror thing, but now I've remembered that they drive on the wrong side and they really mean the right one...

·
4,637 Posts
Horns said:
It'll help you stop the car. If the foot brake fails, you could take the car down the gears to something fairly slow and then pull on the handbrake to do the last bit of stopping. It might save you or it might not.

It'll also help you turn sharper... :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Commonly known as an e-brake here, great for going sideways in the snow!

Alternator, leave the a/c belt off to begin with, as you may as well change the belts too if you swap out the alternator (and you have to remove the power steering belt also) dont be a moron like me and break the bracket, a 6mm allen key or allen head socket is key to take the alternator out, and replace the ground strap, or you'll have charge issues.

I gave up on the rheostat switch, I found pushing it in and turning can make a difference, but I'm too busy watching the road (and looking for cops :cool:)

As for the radio thing, my 9000 is wired up like that, then again when I put the radio in, I saw on the factory harness that the switched power for my radio harness was destroyed so some Macguyvering was required.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts