SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Have just purchased a 2001 Saab 93 SE Convertible to my 16 year old son. We have discussed to add spacers front and rear. The Eibach spacers for the 93 come in 5mm, 15mm, 20mm and 25mm. After looking at the car does it seem that 5mm spacers would fit up front and 20-25 mm would fit at the rear. Does anyone have any recommendations of what will fit and what does not eat tires. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Have just purchased a 2001 Saab 93 SE Convertible to my 16 year old son. We have discussed to add spacers front and rear. The Eibach spacers for the 93 come in 5mm, 15mm, 20mm and 25mm. After looking at the car does it seem that 5mm spacers would fit up front and 20-25 mm would fit at the rear. Does anyone have any recommendations of what will fit and what does not eat tires. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Someone else will chime in with more detail or you could try googling it, but if you push the rear wheels out father than the front it will do funny things to your handling. Why are you planning on getting these spacers, looks or handling performance?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone else will chime in with more detail or you could try googling it, but if you push the rear wheels out father than the front it will do funny things to your handling. Why are you planning on getting these spacers, looks or handling performance?
Thanks for your post. The spacers are for enhancing the look of the car and less on handling.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Out of curiousity, I assume that when you add spacers, you just add longer bolts and the spacers just get trapped in between the wheel and the hub. If you have ever tried to change a Saab wheel at night in a dark area, just aligning the wheel with the bolt holes and getting the first bolt started can be difficult. If you add the spacer in the middle, I think it will greatly add to the difficulty. If you were stuck and couldn't get the bolts threaded, you would need to use the OEM shorter bolts to mount the wheel without the spacer to avoid damaging anything inside the hub, especially on the rear wheels... Ron

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiousity, I assume that when you add spacers, you just add longer bolts and the spacers just get trapped in between the wheel and the hub. If you have ever tried to change a Saab wheel at night in a dark area, just aligning the wheel with the bolt holes and getting the first bolt started can be difficult. If you add the spacer in the middle, I think it will greatly add to the difficulty. If you were stuck and couldn't get the bolts threaded, you would need to use the OEM shorter bolts to mount the wheel without the spacer to avoid damaging anything inside the hub, especially on the rear wheels... Ron
I am not sure it is a problem. See: http://www.drivewire.com/search/?N=...4967173&Ntt=wheel+spacers&Nr=AND(universal:0)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks for your post. The spacers are for enhancing the look of the car and less on handling.
Ok, I was just curious about that. Regardless I would use the same size spacer both front and back to avoid any unintended handling consequences.

I would also go with the smallest possible spacer that gives you the intended look. You have to keep in mind that everything in the suspension was designed for the wheels in the stock location, and the extra stress from moving the wheels further out from everything could cause bad things to happen. If you push the wheels out too far you can add a lot of extra stress on the wheel bearings that they are not designed for, which could wear them out quicker than usual or possibly cause a dangerous failure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I was just curious about that. Regardless I would use the same size spacer both front and back to avoid any unintended handling consequences.

I would also go with the smallest possible spacer that gives you the intended look. You have to keep in mind that everything in the suspension was designed for the wheels in the stock location, and the extra stress from moving the wheels further out from everything could cause bad things to happen. If you push the wheels out too far you can add a lot of extra stress on the wheel bearings that they are not designed for, which could wear them out quicker than usual or possibly cause a dangerous failure.
Ok I will use the same size on front and rear. I was thinking going with 15mm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Holy smoke ! a convertible for a 16 year old. Ive used spacers a few times years ago and it doesnt take much to give the effect you want. If you use big ones and it will look silly.Mines got the bigger wheels on, viggen ones i think , and it looks spiffing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts