SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking on Crutchfield, they state that they don't recommend replacing the Bose stereo because you'll lose some safety features. I'm not sure what they're referring to, but I'm guessing the reverse proximity tones when you back up? Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
never heard of any safety featured linked into the audio,so no idea what they're referring too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's the ICM (infotainment control panel) and its annunciator function. There's a list of warnings ICM will announce in the SID messages. From the WIS:

"ICM uses the bus messages "Activate front left indicator ON" and "Activate front right indicator ON" to send a bus message to EHU (353) to activate an acoustic signal in the front speakers (266FL/FR). ICM prioritises all acoustic indicator and warning symbols in the car. If a warning message comes while the direction indicators are active, the direction indicator tone is interrupted while the warning tone is active in the speakers. A warning tone has higher priority than the direction indicator tone."

Potential liability issues are a big deal in the corporate world, thus the disclaimer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, this doesn't appear to be anything I'd be missing out on I suppose, considering I have eyes. Sounds a little confusing to me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You'd lose some other things that aren't necessarily safety-related, like instrument lighting control, night panel, trip computer, service interval counter, and customer settings. It also handles the buttons to the left of the center console & ICM.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So, this doesn't appear to be anything I'd be missing out on I suppose, considering I have eyes. Sounds a little confusing to me.
I'm sure it does, but I cannot offer you further clarification on this, since IANAL. You might ask a personal injury or liability lawyer your original question. They would be able to explain it better.

·
Registered
442 Posts
BTW, what the Crutchfield site actually says for radio recommendations is:

"We don't recommend replacing the factory radio in this vehicle. You'll lose your vehicle's audible safety alerts."

So, you already had the answer to your question.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You'd lose some other things that aren't necessarily safety-related, like instrument lighting control, night panel, trip computer, service interval counter, and customer settings. It also handles the buttons to the left of the center console & ICM.
I want to make sure I'm following you correctly, because that sounds like an awful lot. Are you saying if you replace the head unit in an 07+ 9-3 with aftermarket, you lose all of the following functionality?
  • Night panel
  • instrument lighting brightness adjust
  • Sports mode
  • SID message audible alert
  • SID trip computer
  • SID service interval tracking / messages
  • Backup sensor beeps (?)

·
Registered
442 Posts
According to WIS, yes. It surprised me, too.

It's a little unclear on sports mode. It does look like ICM also reads that button though.

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
that is for the MY03-06 9-3 with the MoST optic loop system...

You can change out the h/u in the MY07 models onwards the only issue I've seen report by owners who have done this is you lose the service intervals on the sid..

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
If you have a 04-06 car ( it is best of you tell us or at least put it in your signature line)
You can preserve the audible signals if you de-couple the HU controller and amp. They are separate units. You can remove the faceplate. Then hide the controller behind the dash.

Put an optical loop terminator on the controller and wire up either L or R speaker output to the center speaker (either one not both) You will lose the center speaker but who cares.

·
Registered
442 Posts
that is for the MY03-06 9-3 with the MoST optic loop system...

You can change out the h/u in the MY07 models onwards the only issue I've seen report by owners who have done this is you lose the service intervals on the sid..
Indeed, the original question was about the Bose audio system.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just asked a Crutchfield rep via chat about a 2007 w/Bose. Here's their answer:

"We don't recommend replacing the radio due to the fact that if you do, you will lose your 9-3's audible safety alerts."

EDIT. Perhaps I'm losing my mind, but I'm almost certain I checked OP "About" before first reply and it was blank. Apologies to all.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
Indeed, the original question was about the Bose audio system.
How is that different? I don;t have a newer 9-3 with Bose system but in the WIS (based on what you posted) it seem that the control unit is different than the head unit....

In my 06 you can decouple them and keep all the control unit and connections as I mentioned. It would seem the same for this one no?

Here is a thread about radio replacement Saab 9-3 Radio Replacement

·
Registered
384 Posts
there was no bose system with the 03-06 so whatever okcrum is saying does NOT apply. You also wont lose any audio chimes or anything. Crutchfield is a bunch of idiots to be honest. I argued with a guy who WORKS there who owned a 2007+ 9-3 combi and wouldnt change his headunit, and proceeded to write an article about why he didnt. Uneducated Saab audio folks. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-HOM5EZItawR/learn/brent-p-2007-saab-9-3-wagon.html

1 - 20 of 42 Posts