SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So folks I'm wondering what other cars did you consider before landing on the 9-2X?
I'll start first, the car is actually for my wife. We considered cars like the mazda3 sport GT since my wife likes it and it's quite nice to drive. But it's too common. Also considered the Legacy GT. Lovely car all around. But am leary about 1st model. It was my top choice although my wife felt it was a bit large and 'mature'. Other cars were the outgoing 325i EE (in canada) which was cheap. There's also the IS300. But it is looking old and it is very small inside. No foldown seats either!
Never considered any Saabs. Sorry. torque-steering FWD, quirky interior, questionable reliability... saab just wasn't on our scope. That is until the GM discount pricing! All of a sudden the 92X aero just made sense. It has the performance and reliability of a WRX and yet is is decidedly more refined than the Impreza. With the GM employee pricing, it was cheaper than the WRX! So it's a winner in our books!
So post on what you considered!

·
Registered
34 Posts
the germans (bmw, audi). poor reliability and high cost to maintain are the reasons i passed on those. i've driven the 325xi a bunch, and my 92-x seems to have way more power and better handling. the one thing i love about those cars, bmw and audi make really good looking cars.

the wrx. i wanted an 02-03 bugeye. they were going for about $17/18,000 around here. for a few grand more, i could get a new 92-x.

that's about it. there are really no other smaller, sporty AWD cars that come close to comparing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In no particular order:

2005 WRX wagon
2005 WRX Sti
2005 Acura RSX
2005 Mustang GT
2006 Mustang Cobra (more of a dream)

Rudi

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was considering:

2005 White STI
2005 Legacy GT
2006 Hummer H3
2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

I liked the price and looks of the 9-2X Aero more and I missed AWD with my 04 TRD Taco, missed the 02 WRX I sold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
first post yay

ive yet to buy one but..

i own a 2000 impreza rs and i was thinkin about

2005 sti
2001 rs

but ive decided to get a 9-2x aero. love for scooby + gm family discount is a great incentive :cheesy:

·
Registered
19 Posts
It was between a Mazda 3 SP23 version and the 9-2x. The Mazda's they had on the lot all had between 250-350 miles on them and they wouldn't deal. I couldn't pass up the Saab due to the employee discount pricing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I only wanted the Aero, I took a look at a Cobalt SS (they are similarly priced on the GM employee discount) but the idea of having an all wheel drive car was too apealing to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OH Gambit:

I had 2003 325xi touring, great car, very solid ride... but expensive, and had troblems... reliability is questionable.
I had 2003 Acura RSX, good car, but Type-S doesn't come with Automatic... so the base model lack of power. The TSX is nice too.
The others like the Lexus IS 300 is good car, expensive, but very small inside...
The Subaru Legend GT could be good choice... sedan is beautiful, but wagon is too big.
HUmm, the new Audi A3 is very nice, but no all wheel drive...
M-B 'B Class' is coming in sept to Canada...

But I got to tell you this... I had a 9 2-X Linear, like it, but make me want more power SO I just trade it in today for an Aero... It was such a good deal that I couldn't believe. The List price before everything is about $ 41000 cdn. But after this discount, that incentive, this and that, they gave me the car for $32000...cdn.
I couldn't resist...

So for the price and performance and for the avaliablity of aftermarket stuff, it's GOOD to get an Aero now! And it is gonna be reliable !

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
To: carbuff73

I am also in Vancouver, want to buy a 92-X, 32K get a Aero, auto or manual ? which option? I check the dealer in Richmond, only auto Aero in stock, around 32K before tax. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi IceIceBaby:

Yeh, I got my new Aero today. I got an auto. I am not a manual kinda person, had a 99 prelude manual, and is not a vancouver city car... so I opt of auto.
The richmond Saab dealership is the only one in town. I talked to a guy Sam, he is very good. The price around 32k is about the price... but my doesn't have leather. It's a very good deal that we can get a 41k car for 32k. Deal only last until end of July. I orginally have an Linear, i got it in feb, but now I traded my to Aero. You can't get that amout of power, awd, and subaru's reliability... and the comfort... TSX cost more, Audi A3 cost more, even WRX cost more... some may say those are more 'refine', but of cause that will cost more, and no AWD. And those can't be driven 'rough'... and the cargo room is great in the 9 2-X.
and it's a SAAB...
if you have the money, I would go for the Aero, there are lots of aftermarket stuffs , but not for Linear. Well, if you don't mind driving manual, you will get most performance out of it, but for me, living in vancouver, i myself like the auto, wishing it has the semi auto...
Make sure you take it a long test drive, if you don't mind the auto, and that's all Landsdown Saab has, see if you can bargin the price more...
So go soon, and talk to Sam, tell him Raymond send you, unless you spoke to someone already.

goodluck and keep in touch

IceIceBaby said:
To: carbuff73

I am also in Vancouver, want to buy a 92-X, 32K get a Aero, auto or manual ? which option? I check the dealer in Richmond, only auto Aero in stock, around 32K before tax. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alternates were

- '01 or '02 IS300 (m/t)
- wait to see how Acura CSX (upcoming EL replacement) turns out
- Mazda3 (didn't like the test drive as much as expected)
- Acura RSX -- would have ranked higher until I reminded myself just how cramped the back seat is
- Acura TSX -- the used-car discount on the '02s isn't very compelling

It was a close decision with the IS300, as it has a creamy smooth shifter and good low-end power -- two things the 9-2X Aero conspicuously lacks. But the practicality of the 5-door hatch, sharp steering, and easy tossability of the Aero -- plus those stackable discounts -- won me over in the end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
g/f and myself looked at a couple different cars before she decided on the 92x Aero.

-Nissan 350z (her dream car, not as practical and much more exspensive)
-Volvo S40 (with the turbo/AWD made it way too expensive compared to the 92X)
-Nissan Maxima (way too expensive with the V6, too big, FWD, looks plain)
-Subaru WRX sedan (basically the same car only more expensive than the 92x and not as nice)
-VW Jetta
-IS 300

The SAAB was a great car compared to most of those. Definetly more bang for the buck than the WRX/Volvo/Maxima/IS 300. The 92X handles great, fast, comfortable, practical, and conveinent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts