SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help. Searched the net, checked my Saab manual, but can't find anywhere what the plastic oil thrower propeller on the front of the clutch shaft in the primary gear casing of a c900 actually does, and why, even though I guess it could be said to be self-explanatory.
Anyt ideas? Many thanks.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
The vent for the transmission is in the clutch shaft cover. There's a little hole right in the center that lets expanding gasses out to avoid pressure build-up that causes oil leaks; plug the hole and watch the leaks sprout everywhere.
The slinger keeps oil droplets away from the vent so oil doesn't migrate out with the hot gasses.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Jim Mesthene. Presuming that what you mean by clutch shaft cover is what I think of as the cap held by a spring clip at the front of the primary gear casing, I think I get it.

Does that mean that the oil in question is gear oil? And should there be much of it when you open the cover?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
lando1 said:
Does that mean that the oil in question is gear oil? And should there be much of it when you open the cover?
It's the transmission lubricating oil (10w-30 motor oil) that is shared by the gear shafts, primary and final drives. The 3 quart capacity sits in a pool at the bottom when stationary and won't leak out of the clutch shaft cover with the spring clip thingy if you remove it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the clarification. Now I'm sure I get it.

The reason I suddenly got curious about this part is that I just replaced the clutch plate on the Saab and I noticed a small pool of "oil" on the tarmac under the primary gear casing after leaving the car sitting for a few hours. At first I wondered if it could be clutch fluid from a leaking slave cylinder, but then realised the source was the clutch shaft cover. So it's gear oil. Maybe I didn't clean the cap seal properly before putting it back, or the spring clip needs re-tensioning. Hope it's not a sign of something much more serious which I may have caused while replacing the clutch plate...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts