SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.8T exhaust:

Stock from the turbo (if I'm not mistaken) includes 2 Cat's, 1 resonator, 1 muffler before the split, then 2 mufflers after the Y split from the rear axel back.

My current exhaust status:
-Deleted (chopped off) last 2 mufflers from the rear axel back and replaced with 2.25" strait pipe in their place and welded on sport tips.

I plan on leaving the cats and the resonator alone, however I want to replace the mid-car muffler with a better flowing performance muffler. So far the only one I've been considering is a Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler however I'd like to get some more opinions.

What would you do if you were me?

Thanx for the input guys

·
Registered
821 Posts
agreed, i want to hear it!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am replacing the stock cat just after the turbo with a sport cat. Here are pics of the other exhaust components out of the car. Will also be Jet hot coating the section just after the turbo down to the first break and the aluminum heat shields around the turbo. 2nd cat.jpg

Rear section.jpg

Resonator & mufflers.jpg

stock cat & sport cat.jpg

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also thought about replacing one of the cat's (preferably one without O2 censors so I can not throw CELs) with a sport high flow car when I get around to changing the muffler. I'd upload a sound clip now with just the rear 2 mufflers gone and stock everything else (does sound pretty badass, just a little less refined) but I don't know how to do sound clips lol.

EDIT: What type of cat did you end up replacing it with? Brand? Price? Where to buy? Would you repeat your purchase?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Mike is the pic of the whole exhaust leaning on the wall the way the Turbo X's came? No center resonator, just the one at the split and then the two rear mufflers?

Sean

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sean, that's the way it is. Just one resonator at the split. There are two cats-one just after the turbo, then the second one further on the horizontal section.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
OK perfect! I have been trying to figure out why the Turbo X sounds a bit more agressive from the factory, but no one seemed to know the difference in the factory exhaust set up. Based on your pics, it's now clear that they did not install the resonator under the shifter area on them that they did on the Aero's. I have been thinking of having that resonator cut out, but wasn't sure what it'd sound like. I have think now that it's going to sound pretty much like a Turbo X. I know you guys get different exhaust tips, but I have to think the back boxes are the same, Aero to Turbo X.

Sean

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
OK perfect! I have been trying to figure out why the Turbo X sounds a bit more agressive from the factory, but no one seemed to know the difference in the factory exhaust set up. Based on your pics, it's now clear that they did not install the resonator under the shifter area on them that they did on the Aero's. I have been thinking of having that resonator cut out, but wasn't sure what it'd sound like. I have think now that it's going to sound pretty much like a Turbo X. I know you guys get different exhaust tips, but I have to think the back boxes are the same, Aero to Turbo X.

Sean
Turbo X also runs higher boost, which means more air flowing through the exhaust, which means a different sound

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've got a 2006 93 Aero V6 and the exhaust is the same. There is no muffler before the split. There is one cat right after the turbo, another cat mid pipe after the downpipe, 1 resonator after the 2nd cat, then splits into 2 mufflers. No idea where this extra muffler you're talking about is?

I removed the 2nd cat and the car sounds much better. Very sporty without being annoying. It's still a bit quiet and I've been thinking about removing the resonator as well.

Bry

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a 2006 93 Aero V6 and the exhaust is the same. There is no muffler before the split. There is one cat right after the turbo, another cat mid pipe after the downpipe, 1 resonator after the 2nd cat, then splits into 2 mufflers. No idea where this extra muffler you're talking about is?

I removed the 2nd cat and the car sounds much better. Very sporty without being annoying. It's still a bit quiet and I've been thinking about removing the resonator as well.

Bry
I could be mistaken... What I was seeing might be the resonator under the shifter area or the second cat. If I cut out the second cat or a resonator, and replaced it with a borla muffler, wouldn't it sound better + add a little horsepower? I know removing a cat is like an instant 10 hp easy, plus I want the sound of a Borla without having to pay for two since I like having strait pipe from the rear axel back

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The second cat is a very stubby little box...then the resonator is along tube, barely larger then the exhaust pipe that goes through it. If you have already eliminated your rear mufflers, then cutting out the resonator and second cat to make room for a single Borla muffler would work, but I am not sure you could get one the right shape to sit high enough mid stream not to hit the ground over speed bumps and such....

Sean

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A buddy of mine just told me PA emissions would pass me with just 1 cat and 1 muffler...

So goodbye resonator, already took off mufflers, goodbye second cat...

Hello 1 Borla muffler (possibly replace 1st cat with a high flow cat) and HELLO horsepower :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts