SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like my se lpt to become a hpt ? Is it a different turbo and a better inter cooler ? OR
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Same turbo, different intercooler and different map for the ECU. Easy and cheap to do.

A used IC and supply side hose from a T7 FPT (non-se) and some free ware called T5 Suite along with a bit of interface hardware and a spare ECU and you'd be ready to jump the output up to about 220 hp without any other mods to the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a se hot at the place I work what do I need off the car ? Inter cooler Map Ecu. Or can I just run my ecu
Any info would be great thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Then Win_K has you covered:

- get the intercooler and the hoses that connect it
- grab the ECU and send it away for a stage 1 or stage 2 tune

I'd also suggest a cat-back exhaust of 2.5", but that could be considered optional.

EDIT: Doh! This is incorrect. The '98 still has a standard intercooler. My bad.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there was never a B204R (HOT) engine in the US 900's, all the NG900 2 liter turbo's have the same power output.

The 1999 9-3 has the only B204R engine I know of here in the States.

On the B204R, the larger cross flow intercooler from the B235R powered Viggen was used along with a larger diameter exhaust system and the different programming of the ECU. The inlet to the intercooler is next to the lower radiator hose rather than under the outlet hose on the battery side of the engine bay.

Rather than the 180HP, power was raised to a about 200.

Starting with the 2000 T7 powered 9-3, both the B205L and B205R powered cars got the same cross flow intercooler, but the B205L has a Garrett GT17 turbo and the B204R has the Mitsubishi TD04-15T turbo.

While the intercooler is the same, the hose from the turbo to the IC is different between the two engines.

So, to achieve the HOT power levels, I don't think you can get there from here with just different NG900 parts. You'll need the Viggen style intercooler, either a 1999 Viggen or a 2000-2003 LPT GT17 turbo to IC hose and the updated programming of the B204R cars.

But, with the exception of the ECU, the parts are clearly visibly different. So, you could try changing everything over from the one car onto yours that looks different. There's a fair chance the ECU from the doner car will be plug and play as well

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
^ win_k: I don't see a different exhaust listed for the '99 HOT. I believe the only differences are ECU & Intercooler.

I think he should get a cat-back... should be able to go stage 2 and get 210 - 215 HP with a Saab Sport Exhaust on there.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Tripple, if your car's a '96 and the other's a '98, then there's no difference in power output as Win_K said. All 900 SE turbos sold in the US put out 185hp. There were no LPT models here like there were in Europe. Your car and the '98 have the same intercooler, ECU, and turbo.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Tripple, if your car's a '96 and the other's a '98, then there's no difference in power output as Win_K said. All 900 SE turbos sold in the US put out 185hp. There were no LPT models here like there were in Europe. Your car and the '98 have the same intercooler, ECU, and turbo.
Just to clarify terminology as Jeremy posted:

LPT - Low pressure turbo, Europe only, 150+HP.
Standard turbo - 185HP, all NG900's
HOT - 200-210 HP, 9-3 only

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sucks

So I guess I'm going to take the ecu to send it out to get a stage 3 order a inter cooler off eBay and work on the full 3 inch exhaust. As for turbo I'm not 100% witch turbo is on my car. So dose the 99 have a Saab sport cat back or is it the same system on my 96. And on the full exhaust are they talking headers as well or just the down pipe and cat back?
Thanks for all the info guys

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Your car has a Garrett T25 turbo. There's very little difference between your exhaust and the one on a HOT 9-3. No exhausts for our cars will come with headers. Most are catbacks, which start after the downpipe, but some do include a new downpipe. If you can afford it, Taliaferro's stainless steel downpipe is the nicest one out there.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Can the stock fuel system put out 300 hp and what is this turbo good too?
No, you need an updated pump, FPR, and likely bigger injectors. You also need a downpipe, a cat back, a different turbo, and a different tune. Just after you finish it, you'll need a new clutch.

But you started out asking about 200 or so HP... you need to pick a target.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts