SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
They look like the regular headlight housing but it's been opened up and painted black. The forward piece is still chrome colored. I don't know of anyone that makes a 3rd party headlight.

It may be xenon or halogen, not sure if you can tell from this view. Need to see under the hood or wait for the lights to turn on. But if it is an Aero, it may have the xenon option.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, thought it might have been a US thing.
That hasn't got Aero side skirts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That hasn't got Aero side skirts.
Good catch. I missed that. Only has the front lip.

Opening headlights is somewhat common. I've debated opening mine to paint the insides with a reflective dark chrome type, but not sure if it would be too ricey. But after I polished the clear plastic lenses I noticed the insides are failing, too. So eventually I'll just replace them.

Also, some people replace the OEM projector lenses with aftermarket ones that sharpen up the light cut-off line and get a bit more light out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had an old 1999 Vauxhall Vectra and the lights were taken apart and painted black inside.
Would be good if someone had done it to 9-3 ones and could share how they did it.
What are these aftermarket ones you speak of?
Silent J and Bob, :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Would be good if someone had done it to 9-3 ones and could share how they did it.
I think there are videos or how-to's around here somewhere. Involves baking the headlight assembly for a minute or two to soften the adhesive, then work them open. Not exactly easy, but not terrible, either.

What are these aftermarket ones you speak of?
Silent J and Bob, :)
One option recommended to me was to retrofit these in:
EVO Projectors

Supposedly big improvements with a better reflector bowl and projector lens. I don't think anyone makes aftermarket assemblies (besides straight OEM style replacements). Probably because SAAB made the computers on these cars difficult to work with and using LEDs is a pain in the butt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts