SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Amsoil 10W-30 turbo blend, and am going to put Amsoil 80W-90 in the gearbox....what are you guys using in yours?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Mobil1 10W-30 for the moment but will be going to Voll-Synthese 5W-40 in a couple of weeks/months.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Slaab4life said:
Mobil1 10W-30 for the moment but will be going to Voll-Synthese 5W-40 in a couple of weeks/months.
I'm using Mobil1 10W-30 synthetic ... Slaab, why are you changing?

I had considered moving to a 0W-40, but when I went to get oil last time, I couldn't find any.:eek:
As I thought about it though, it didn't bother me too much since the NG900's were designed to run on 10 (or 5)W-30 anyway ...

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
As far as the gearbox goes, you may want to consider something a tad thinner. Since they were designed to run on 10W30 (the 94-97 boxes, at least), I would use something that thin or thinner, like maybe Amsoil's Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 (MTF). That's more in line w/ the original spec and it's still AMSOIL.

·
Registered
867 Posts
From what I have learned about Saab transmissions, synthetic motor oil should not be used because it is too slippery for the synchromesh gears. That is why there is special synthetic transmission oil. I would think that Amsoil, Redline or SAAB's MTF would be your best choices if you want synthetic. Amsoil and SAAB-MTF require flushes before changing over so you need to buy more fluid than the transmission holds. I'm not sure if Redline requires a flush or not.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I second gary's advice about the transmission. Saab sells stuff called mtf0063 which is a synthetic specific for our transmissions. It was the factory fill for later years. I "upgraded" mine a while ago and it works very well. The catch is that if you have anything else in your transmission you need to fill and drain it three times to flush out the old stuff. MTF0063 doesn't mix with other fluids well. This means 5 or 6 qts at about $10.00 a qt. Your transmission might already have this stuff in it, in which case you can just change out the old worn out stuff. I think that there should be stickers somewhere under your hood or on the transmission itself telling you whether you have this fluid already.

You can buy this stuff from eeuroparts or thesaabsite or genuine saab.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Went from 5w30 M1 to 0w40 M1 about a week ago. The engine definitely runs a little quieter and smoother on the 40, plus my main seal leak seems to have reduced to a seep/weep. I used to have a slight bit of oil dripping on my exhaust pipe every second day or so, but since the day after I put the 0w40 in the pipe has been completely dry. I havent gone under to look at the seals since then though. It seems strange since at cold temps the 0w40 is a lower weight than what was in it before, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, Im happy my dads an AMSOIL dealer now, talking about all the flushing involved in changing my tranny oil. I'll be moving up to North Dakota to go to school, any concerns about having too heavy of an oil for the cold? There was a time last year I was there and for a week I couldn't start my car. If I could actually get it to start, I would hear the rods clankin on the crankshaft, void of oil....not a familiar or plesant sound...but this was on my Olds which was a POS and I didn't really care about anyways.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Regardless of the oil and/or the make of vehicle, in a really cold state, or Siberia, I would use a block heater(factory installed is best,IMO)..
Had one in my old VW Diesel.
The use of this device results in very easy starting and heat within a minute, and probably 50K miles are added to the engine life..

And, for the MTF, for some reason, the 75-90 flows much, much better than 80-90..
Best to stick with the Saab MTF.
There have been a number of spec and transmission changes o'er the years..., but I have no chart to show this definitively..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts