SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no luck with this 1996 Saab 9000. Just after I got the last problem fixed this new thing happened. So I was driving along and all of the sudden I heard a loud pop and saw white smoke from under the hood. I thought either the tire blew or I ran over a bottle of milk or something. All of the sudden I could not steer. Steering required tremendous effort to turn the wheel. I pulled over and let it cool for a few minutes and looked under the hood but could not locate the problem myself. Luckily I was able to drive the car back home. Under the hood looks like motor oil exploded everywhere and one of the hoses coming from the engine toward the front grill ripped apart from the explosion (see pics). So any ideas what happened?

**(uploading is not working here..ill upload pics as soon as it works)**

·
Registered
390 Posts
The hose with the big tear is the upper radiator hose - brings coolant to the block. Did you happen to notice the temperature gauge reading at the time this happened?

A possible explanation: The pop sound comes from the serpentine belt breaking which ends power to the steering pump which causes the car to be difficult to steer. No serpentine belt = no water pump = overheating = blown radiator hose = lots of white smoke/steam.

Look to the passenger side of the engine and observe the condition of the serpentine - clearly visible running around the a/c compressor pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I second that. 100% radiator hose (cheap fix). Check on your serpentine belt to make sure that its even there. Do NOT drive the car until you get both of these issues addressed

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes sound reasoning . Heavy steering and over heating sure sounds like the belt. Hopefully youve got away without damaging anything else . Check the hydraulic tensioner too maybe the belt is just slipping very badly.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
A lot will depend on how far, how fast you drove after the leak, and how lucky you are.

Might be fine once belt and hose are repaired. Change the thermostat too.

Might need a new head gasket, DI cartridge. Mine did when the idler pulley failed taking the belt off at +150mph at night on the autobahn. hopefully you were not making as much heat as me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts