SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2001 saab 93 se conv. I have a problem with my lovely car. I turn on the engine, it runs with no problem and than drive around 30 min. and stop the engine and try to run again it is not running. wait 15-20 minutes and try t again and it runs. It is also die by itself whenever i stop on the lights or stop sign. I have checked computer and there is no any code and check engine light is not on. Please help me what is the problem?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Might be the CPS (Crank Position Sensor). They apparently start failing when the car is warmed up causing stalling or hard starts when warm. Then after the car cools off they work and allow the car to start. It should be throwing a code though, but maybe it's removing the code when the car starts again? If the car has a bunch of miles and the original CPS, it'd be a place to start. If you remove the heat shield from the header, look to the right corner of the block near the bottom. You'll see a wire (barely) that goes into the block. There should be a little square metal cover about 2"x2" (it's a mini heat shield) that's just clipped onto the sensor. Remove the cover by pulling on it. It'll be corroded and rusty unless you live out west. You'll see a round plug with a wire coming out of it. That's the CPS. Clean the area thoroughly BEFORE attempting to remove the sensor as you don't want any of that crud on the block finding it's way into the hole. Also, the sensor is magnetized and metal debris will stick to it. MAKE SURE the new sensor doesn't have the metal debris sticking to it before going into the block.

·
Registered
497 Posts
+1 on Pontius
I've done it from the top (9-5) and from below (9-3).
One of them the heat shield was held on by the torx screw holding the cps to the block.
Not a bad job - 1st time's a pain.
Be easier with eyes on your finger tips.
Please post your results.
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hi I have the same problem with my 2001 hot aero. I have replaced the CPS and no improvement...?
Go ahead and make a separate thread, then say what the car is doing as well as what you've replaced already. Try and get the ECM scanned for codes and post them. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you or point you in the right direction as it may be a completely different problem ;ol;

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys
I have solved the problem. I have changed crank shaft position sensor 2 weeks ago and car has no problem any more.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi I have the same problem with my 2001 hot aero. I have replaced the CPS and no improvement...?
Hi sorry for the delay, yes solved the problem here but mine was the neutral safety switch.
I had already reaced the crank position sensor to no avail!
I tested the switch using the method posted on here by bypassing the switch. Then I removed, cleaned and replaced the NSS switch!
Glad to hear the crank switch worked for you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 2001 saab 93 se conv. I have a problem with my lovely car. I turn on the engine, it runs with no problem and than drive around 30 min. and stop the engine and try to run again it is not running. wait 15-20 minutes and try t again and it runs. It is also die by itself whenever i stop on the lights or stop sign. I have checked computer and there is no any code and check engine light is not on. Please help me what is the problem?
When it happens try slowly pouring water over the CPS and then see if it starts right away - I used this to confirm my CPS was faulty. When you stop the engine or waiting at lights there is a heat build up and the CPS goes open or high resistance. Water cools it and and it makes contact again and the car starts again.
Cheers - Martin (New Zealand)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts