SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got a 1993 900 Turbo Convertible. One of the screws in the rubber dogbone in the shift coupler broke so the shifter was all over the place. No problem - ordered a new dogbone.

I broke off the nut on the end of the shift coupler pin though trying to unscrew it. No problem again - I ordered a new pin and even went to Harbor Freight to get a chain brake as people suggested.

OK, after about 1/2 an hour of repositioning the shifter I was able to get the dogbone replaced. But I tried using a hammer, a nail punch, and the chain brake and I can't get out that pin. My only option at this point is drilling a new hole.

The pin broke at the very end (at the threads) so I started to wonder - do I really need to replace it? The pin is basically fused to the rod that leads to the transmission so why am I bothering? It seems to me that the chances are pretty minimal that the pin is going to dislodge on its own, even without the nut!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I would have similar thoughts. You could put a worn drive clip around the pin so it just couldn't come out. That might take some of the anxiety away.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have found that the metal the pin is made out of is really rather soft. I have resorted to drilling it out several times, every time it drills very easily and then just falls out before I can even drill through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts