SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so there are those dome covers, but then I can't seem to pull or otherwise wiggle the big plastic plug out of the headlight from inside the engine compartment.

Is there some little clip I'm not prying? Is there a special Saab thingy going on and do I need to remove headlight covers from front?

I'm always scared of shattering a lightbulb when removing crusted burned outs, or busting a plastic clip and not being able to re-seat correctly.

IIRC when I when to replaced ALL the taillight bulbs on my old '92 900 it was like buying eyeglasses for a spider, and the parts counter guy was doing a double and triple take on the number and verity of bulbs required.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts
OK, so there are those dome covers, but then I can't seem to pull or otherwise wiggle the big plastic plug out of the headlight from inside the engine compartment.

Is there some little clip I'm not prying? Is there a special Saab thingy going on and do I need to remove headlight covers from front?

I'm always scared of shattering a lightbulb when removing crusted burned outs, or busting a plastic clip and not being able to re-seat correctly.

IIRC when I when to replaced ALL the taillight bulbs on my old '92 900 it was like buying eyeglasses for a spider, and the parts counter guy was doing a double and triple take on the number and verity of bulbs required.
I’d just remove the whole assembly... unplug the main connector once you have the assembly loose from body. If it’s anything like the 02, there is a spring loaded clip you have to push in and lift up.
Hard to do from top and looking in. You’d be going by feel mainly.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Indeed pulling the connector off the bulb can sometimes be an issue, as too much pull will start bending the retaining spring. I agree unbolt the whole light to give more space, and try levering the connector off the back of the bulb with a small screwdriver or similar. I think they stick due to the beginnings of corrosion on the pin/socket, although there will be little to be seen. It doesn’t take much.

Doug

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I agree with the others. Take the entire headlight assembly out so you can clearly see the clip. Once you see how it all works, you'll be able to do it by feel the next time with the headlight still in the car.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If you are talking about the round black domes on the back of the headlight, rotate them, I think counter-clockwise about an eighth of a turn and they come right out. If they won't turn counter-clockwise, try clockwise. :cheesy:

Reassembly is reverse order of disassembly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with the others. Take the entire headlight assembly out so you can clearly see the clip. Once you see how it all works, you'll be able to do it by feel the next time with the headlight still in the car.
I got it without doing that, just needed good light. Bulbs were OK, just loose or dirty connection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts