SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading threads about "whine" from the transmission. My 90 SPG is the first old car I've driven in a long time and it's going to take a while to get familiar with the sounds. One thing I have noticed is when I'm in 5th on the expressway, going around 75-80mph (or general speed of traffic), there is a metallic "ringing" noise like someone dragging a chain along the asphalt. It's very faint, but it's there. It's a very steady noise, almost like metallic white noise. That's not "whine" is it?

The other noise I notice all the time is a ticking from the dash in front of the steering wheel. Do the speedometer cables on these things get noisy after a while?

We should have a thread on noises for the uninitiated. What does a bad bearing, bad DV joint, bad inner driver sound like... I have no idea, but I'm sure I'm going to be figuring it out, eventually, although hopefully not for a while!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think you need to take me for a ride in your SPG.
I have a good ear and my hearing is pretty accute.
Paul is going deaf, so he doesn't hear a lot of little things anymore.:lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
ummm....

Let us just pretent you don't hear that whine for now, when you can hear it in 3rd gear then post again.

On an unrelated topic:

If you happen to see a good transmission feel free to pick it up if it is cheap.

(you can get the tranmission re-packed with new pinion bearings and she will go another 250,000+/20 years) I'm so sorry :cry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts