SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Looks like the torque rod that limits transmission movement by securing it to the cars frame. You should tighten that bolt. Actually, you should replace the bushings on it, then bolt it back up. Which reminds me, I should check on mine lol.

Front Torque Bar:
- Engine does not need to be supported from below for this part of job
- Remove bolt securing bar to front cross-frame (long profile wrenches needed)
- Remove bolt securing bar to transmisison bracket
- Remove bar and install new
- Torque for bolt at transmisison end is 35 ft-lbs
- Torque for bolt at front cross-frame end is 90 ft-lbs (why long wrenches are needed!)

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Saab doesn't sell the bushings separately, but you can get a Powerflex bushing to replace the large one that's pushed way over to one side in your picture. It costs about the same as getting a new Hutchinson torque rod, which is the OEM. The smaller bushing that your loose bolt goes through doesn't tend to fail nearly as often.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Powerflex (at least in the UK) do three versions of the rectangular bush, normal, harder, and track day. I can't access the site right now so can't verify. I was able to push mine out with two thumbs (at 135K miles) but it needs force to put the new one in of course. I took the arm out to do it in a vice but I suppose a G-clamp under the car might work. I found (manual gearbox) that a bracket has to be loosened to back out the forward bolt.

I'd love to know why yours is loose!

Doug

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
The front bolt does not screw into anything: the other side is a nut. It might be that it was torqued incorrectly before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts