SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As topic above!I plan to convert my saab c900 from original electric sunroof to manual sunroof so would like the smart people in this forum to asist me.Thank You.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I think finding a donor car is your best bet. I'm GUESSING just about everything but the actual metal of the roof.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
better to leave it in than use amanual one even if the motor or drive as gone there are usually some about on the usual chanel but you could put an add in the buy sell forums, I have a spare motor, as someone asked/wanted only the plastic drive in USA, I probably have a complete unit somewhere, but Dan at paradisesaabs will have one I'm sure

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
No, better to put in a manual one. The manual ones are better. The electric ones have no one-touch facility on the button which means you have to hold your finger down in that redicilious place in front of the gear leaver for ages while the roof slithers open.

With a manual one, you can open that in between gear changes. Takes about 1 second to open it and about 1 second to close it. A brilliant system. Not seen it in any other car. That's not to say other cars don't have them. Just that I've not seen any other manufacturer doing it that way before. As far as I know, unique to Saab and brilliant!

Dan at Paradise Saab's does have one. I nearly bought one from him, but never got the car. I wonder if I might buy one for my Carlsson? Perhaps not, probably better to fit a one-touch facility to the Carlsson - that's a high-tech beast so manual wouldn't be right.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Emmett,
I wonder if a police car was behind wether they would appreciate you driving with one hand and opening roof with the other e.g. driving without due care and attention? at least with an electric one they would'nt have a clue :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've done the opposite way 'round on this -- a manual to a power sunroof. My old manual one got too worn and wouldn't stay closed when the road got bumpy. The power sunroof has (so far) held up well as a replacement.

You'll want to get the entire sunroof pan from a car with a manual sunroof. Make sure it works properly before you get it.

You'll need to remove the headliner. A good time to replace the fabric if needed.

It's not a two person job to remove the old sunroof pan, but you'll want another set of hands to help hold and position the replacement while it's fastened.

You'll want to take apart both sunroof assemblies in order to switch the painted panel from the original to the replacement. This is a lot easier to do with the whole unit outside the car. You can also clean and lubricate the replacement.

I wouldn't suggest removing the old cables and motor from the power sunroof system -- if you ever decide to change back, it will all be in place. I'd suggest looking for a way to secure the cables in place against the roof -- perhaps zip ties and duct tape - in order to reduce rattles.

I also prefer the manual vs the power roof. It just wasn't working for my '85 and the amount of vibration it experiences. I'd prefer no sunroof at all but that's not possible on the Turbo models as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The easiest way would be to find a car with a manual roof, remove the entire tray and then transplant it. There are lots of great reasons to have the manual roof as mentioned, plus you can open/close it without a key in the car. I've never sat in a manual sunroof car where the roof wouldn't operate, but I've been in plenty of electric ones where it's failed in one way or another.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've done the opposite way 'round on this -- a manual to a power sunroof. My old manual one got too worn and wouldn't stay closed when the road got bumpy. The power sunroof has (so far) held up well as a replacement.

You'll want to get the entire sunroof pan from a car with a manual sunroof. Make sure it works properly before you get it.

You'll need to remove the headliner. A good time to replace the fabric if needed.

It's not a two person job to remove the old sunroof pan, but you'll want another set of hands to help hold and position the replacement while it's fastened.

You'll want to take apart both sunroof assemblies in order to switch the painted panel from the original to the replacement. This is a lot easier to do with the whole unit outside the car. You can also clean and lubricate the replacement.

I wouldn't suggest removing the old cables and motor from the power sunroof system -- if you ever decide to change back, it will all be in place. I'd suggest looking for a way to secure the cables in place against the roof -- perhaps zip ties and duct tape - in order to reduce rattles.

I also prefer the manual vs the power roof. It just wasn't working for my '85 and the amount of vibration it experiences. I'd prefer no sunroof at all but that's not possible on the Turbo models as far as I'm aware.
You must be riding on some pretty rough roads. I've never see one wear out that way! As far as having no sunroof, you could just swap a turbo system into a base model. My sedan is now a turbo, but its sunroof free. As you can imagine, I don't have many problems with the roof draining properly and my carpet is always dry. No small feat around these parts. It also have the crank windows, which never fail to operate either.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You must be riding on some pretty rough roads. I've never see one wear out that way! As far as having no sunroof, you could just swap a turbo system into a base model. My sedan is now a turbo, but its sunroof free. As you can imagine, I don't have many problems with the roof draining properly and my carpet is always dry. No small feat around these parts. It also have the crank windows, which never fail to operate either.
Yes, things can get a little bumpy at times. Even though the rallies we do aren't necessarily high speed, the roads can be on the rough side. The old mechanism also had 260K of life experience which I'm sure added to its failure.

Being attached to the green color scheme as I am, if I could find a decent green non-sunroof shell (esp a four door or notchback) I would be all over that transplant project! Fortunately, have never had a sunroof leak in this car.

Have already replaced the power mirrors with manual ones. Hadn't considered the windows. That would mean getting door panels as well as the mechanisms. I'll have to put that on the to-do list, after a couple of other projects in the queue.

The manual sunroof can fail to work if you don't get it reassembled properly. I had that experience the first time I replaced the headlining on the sunroof panel. Another learning experience, to be sure.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
PHP:
re dan
the only suggestion I could make to that would be to have a piece or original welded in place and then tidied up and then cover the roof with vynyl like some 1970's cars used to have fitted as std anyway, and would hide any imperfections from the welding up and filling sanding painting etc

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
It's easy for a half-decent bodywork man to fit a section from another solid roof into the existing roof to cover up a sunroof hole. I'm planning to do that on my 99t at some point. Mine has that horrible lift-up glass sunroof fitted aftermarket by a dealer. My 99t has had all sorts of welding done on it to patch up massive rust holes and the aim at the end of the day is to do a good enough job for it to be impossible to see the work I've done. I think I can do it well enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts