SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings;

Does anyone know of the size of the engine oil cooler for a 91 900 turbo? I am trying to order one for my car, however I would like to get as close to a match with the original in size and configuration. The one that I am looking at is a B&M 4 1/2 in. x 11 in. x 1 1/2 in. (outlet size 1/2 in. npt/outlet attachment female threads. www.summitracing.com (BMM70265), 55.95. Please all input would be greatly appreciated! Can I still even get an original? Someone did mention that they picked one up a few years ago.


Best Regards:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Aww, I just had my bumper off the other day too. Would have been perfect for measuring it. It looked longer then 11", maybe closer to 14" or 15", but my level of skill at guessing inches is rather low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
I've got one in the boot of my wifes car. Long story. I'll try to remember to check when I get in tonight. I have a memory like a seive though.

EDIT - I'm a shambles. I'm driving my wifes car today. I'll go out to the car park with a ruler at lunchtime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I can't drive it until my oil cooler gets taken care of, it leaks way too much to risk a blown engine/burned out turbo unit. :( !


BEST REGARDS:) !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
So long as you do not run low on oil, and run good quality lubricant, you can probably get by with bypassing the existing cooler and run without one until you get the new one fitted.

My (now my son's) '88 900S converted to a 2L turbo motor did not have an oil cooler fitted. It has run successfully for over 100,000 miles in that configuration.

So long as you are not racing/running hard, or running in extremely hot temperatures you should be OK running with a bypass. That said, the oil cooler does impart an extra safety margin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How would one go about by-passing the cooler? The leakage really starts up once the car has warmed up. I still have to look at the line to see if can be repaired. It seems as though the line is leaking from the line to cooler connection from the left side line of the top portion of the cooler.

I found one aftermarket cooler by Flexilite for about 105.00. The dealers no longer stock these coolers, and only a few junkyards may have an original cooler. What say you?:( !

Thanks:)


Gabby said:
So long as you do not run low on oil, and run good quality lubricant, you can probably get by with bypassing the existing cooler and run without one until you get the new one fitted.

My (now my son's) '88 900S converted to a 2L turbo motor did not have an oil cooler fitted. It has run successfully for over 100,000 miles in that configuration.

So long as you are not racing/running hard, or running in extremely hot temperatures you should be OK running with a bypass. That said, the oil cooler does impart an extra safety margin.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,637 Posts
Easiest way to bypass the oil cooler would be to get an oil filter housing from an N/A engine and fit that in place of yours. Actually, there are probably plugs in the filter housing that you could just transfer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Albert! Funny thing, I was just by a junkyard today and I was able to extract a cooler. However, someone had damaged it prior to, so I merely took a picture and measurements of it. I think I will create a by-pass for the winter until next spring and or early summer 2008. I will pickup a aftermarket version thereafter. Could I run double filtration for my motor oil? Thanks again to all who repsponded:) !!



Best Regards
Albert Trout said:
It's 11"x 2"x 2 1/2"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cdaly said:
Easiest way to bypass the oil cooler would be to get an oil filter housing from an N/A engine and fit that in place of yours. Actually, there are probably plugs in the filter housing that you could just transfer...
I wondering what size/length that these plugs might be? I have yet to see a N/A saab 900 within my year. Are they just plugs and or are they short bolts with washers? I will try and call the dealer to see what they come up with, otherwise I will search a few junkyards. I guess I should be ok, my commute is 99% hwy with sustained speeds of 65-75 mph, and 750-1,000 miles weekly. I was thinking to just put Mobil 1 extended synthetic oil in the crankcase with a purolator premium plus filter (good flow-not restrictive), and change the filter every 2500 miles, and the oil every 7500 miles, thus I could keep the turbo/engine happy! And as soon as the spring breaks replace the oil cooler. Thanks Cdaly! What say you?


Best Regards!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,382 Posts
There are no plugs in the filter housing the boss is different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
900t said:
There are no plugs in the filter housing the boss is different.
900T do you know what size the in/outlet lines from the oilfilter housing are? I was just figuring if I could get the size with a few copper washers that I could just disconnect and plug these 2 connecting points. I canimagine the threads being somewhat course-fine, but once I can obtain the size, I can use any universal bolt/washer setup. What say you?:)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top