SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a tube on my 900S that comes from lower middle of the firewall (I work on older cars so this might be an old fashioned term) on the engine side. Its rubber, about an inch in diameter, about a foot long and bent at a 70 degree angle or so. One end bolts to the firewall, the other ends downward in a taper to a slit (like a marker).

After an hour commute home tonight, there is about a pint-quart of coolant that came out of this thing. I have 2 questions:

What the heck is this thing?

Is it bad that coolant is coming out of it?

I assume its some kind of drain for coolant over flow from the heater core, but have never seen anything like it in any other car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I thought that was just a drain for condensation from the AC... :eek: If coolant can come out of that, it could explain that one small coolant leak that I could never find.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've had coolant come out of this as well, sometimes enough to drop on the subframe near the cat. I never really got a definitive answer on what was causing the leak, but I know that it would only show up when I used my heater. Being that it is summer, I haven't seen a drop out of it.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Mat, you have a coolant leak ! Not a seep or a weep , but a leak.

A pint or a quart is a lot ! Maybe it is the coolant pipe Orings at the heater core (aka-matrix)..

The stop leak stuff worked for me - all I ever saw were some drips and a slight drop at the reservoir six months ago or so..
I monitor the coolant level every so often or once a month..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts