SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

I am trying to locate a decent oil cooler for my engine. I am trying to decide between B&M, Flexlite, and or perma-cool. Hayden is ok too. However which one is the best to replace for my application? Also could I relocate the cooler versus using the original location? The original cooler is a small one, I am quite sure that the newer upgraded versions are much more efficient. One other thing, some of these kits come with a remote oil filter setup. Could I just use something like this on say my automatic transmission cooler line setup, as secondary filtration or what? Would a setup such as this impede and or decrease fluid flow to the transmission? Or could I just go to the junkyard and pickup another original cooler from a low mileaged vehicle. I notice that the originals are partially plastic, whereas the aftermarket versions are metal. I know of a few yards that have some good clean junked saabs. Could a saab 9000 cooler fit a 900 ? Thanks in advance! 1991 saab 900 turbo/apc 2.0 auto-transmission 2 door coupe. 174xxx original miles.

Best Regards:) !

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The right answer depends on how much BTUs you need to get rid of. That said, you would want something whose ports are about as big as those used in the normal oil cooler. And, if it is, say, half the thickness you may want one that is at least twice as big in frontal area. Otherwise I would guess all those brands are about the same.

Funny you mentioned the 9000 oil cooler; I saw one last weekend and think it is actually bigger than the one used in the 900. So, it probably will do, as will the ones off turbo Volvos. I myself would go for this route as the Volvos are rather plentiful in the local junkyards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts