SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just recently my car died .. sounds like a piston is just slamming up and down. Car wont turn on .
I dont know what exactly is wrong with it but im assuming the engine would need to be rebuilt or replaced.
SO
What would you say a 1999 9-3 se automatic 220000 km that other than having a messed up engine is in great shape would be worth.

I was thinking something like $3500 cnd

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
1997900s said:
:nono; Dream on.....you could find 99 9-3's with a working engines for about $4000.
I agree. Here's one in Montreal with lower mileage than yours and he's asking $4500
http://montreal.craigslist.org/car/422213008.html

Another one is a 9-5 with leahter and a 2.3 turbo, leather and he's asking $5K but has a lot less mileage than your car and it's a 9-5

My advice is to put a new engine in the car and sell it. You might get as high as $4000 with the new engine. Nobody would pay that much for your 1999 with a bad engine and high mileage :eek: And it's an auto box so......

I'd say fix it and keep it. It'll cost you about $2000-$2500 to fix it. You won't be able to buy a good car for that price ;)

Also don't forget that our dollar is above parity with the US dollar now so one can buy a SAAB from the US for a lot less than that even on ebay or cars.com ;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I paid less then $3500 us for mine, it's a 99 9-3 w/leather, and in good shape.

I would of given u about a grand for it with a bad motor.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
encore said:
What would you say a 1999 9-3 se automatic 220000 km that other than having a messed up engine is in great shape would be worth.

I was thinking something like $3500 cnd
I'd say between $500 and $1000 CAD. Telling you the truth man, there are literally over a million used cars to choose from, yours is 8 years old on the body with 220K KM!?! Maybe a diehard Saab fanatic might buy it as a project car, but otherwise you can get a car that works for $1000

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Sounds like you threw a rod. These things don't happen in a vacuum. How long did you continue to drive it while the oil light was on?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had a feeling 3500 was overboard

.. the oil light never came on but after it started hammering i managed to drivve it another 2.5 kms home

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
encore said:
had a feeling 3500 was overboard

.. the oil light never came on but after it started hammering i managed to drivve it another 2.5 kms home
You can get a new engine for $1500 plus ground shipping as a crate. The installation would probably set you another $700

1 - 9 of 9 Posts