SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone taking the DIC apart to see whats inside? I noticed that there are a number of screws on the underside of the cassette. My car has a P0327 code which relates to the knock sensor. It could be a broken lead or bad connection inside the DIC but is it accessible is the question.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I've taken one apart. There's just a lot of black epoxy type stuff covering up all the internals. I'm sure it's just a bunch of capacitors and circuitry.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Haynes manual has a DIC disassemble section. It's not really considered a serviceable component. I would just buy a new or lightly used one, version 3.7 or higher.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Nathan 9⁵;1708429 said:
I've taken one apart. There's just a lot of black epoxy type stuff covering up all the internals. I'm sure it's just a bunch of capacitors and circuitry.
I thought it was full of magic smoke and leprechauns. Let any of that out, it stops working.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yeah, like others have said, you can take the 'nipples' off the DIC and you see a large area that has caps and a bunch of electronics all sealed into their individual coils.

These generally fail for two reasons: The oil that cools these slowly disappeared, or leaked out, so they overheat somewhere.

Or you crack the nipples/boots on the bottom half, and the spark arches out where it shouldn't.

If you have broken boots, even a small crack, it's a good chance that's why it stopped working / started misfiring.

I've taken a few salvage ones and swapped boots around to make a few working spares, and had success. But if the internals are screwed, you're in the market for new/used parts =)

-bny

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What sucks is that my car is still running good. It is just annoying to have to look at the check engine light all the time. When I changed the plugs I didn't notice any leakage from the boots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts