SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still new to the world of Saab's I haven't had my Vector a year yet. I bought the car for daily use. Being a car guy/ speed freak I'm getting the urge for more power even though i have another car with a ton of it. I've had the car tuned by MPS with a stage 1 . really woke this car up except for the fact that what ever clutch is in the car wont hold the torque it making. So I had to neuter it by bypassing the waste gate control solenoid and running the line right to the actuator. So now I'm limited to 6 psi. So it will stay this way till i can put an updated clutch in it in the spring. The only problem is I know me and once the clutch is done I'll want more. I want to avoid the pit falls of more by that I mean breaking stuff. Where should I stop, where is the line with these cars were you run the risk of breaking stuff with more power.

Now to show you how far out of hand I got with my prior turbo car. Here comes the pics, build sheet , dyno sheet, and drag race vid.

Car was a 1988 Shelby CSX-T ( a turbo dodge shadow) #802 of the 1000 built 2.2 L 4 cyl engine, single overhead cam 8 valve non cross flow head.

Here is the build list when I sold the car in 2010.

FWD stage 5 3bar cal
Apexi SAFC
MSD digital 6 ignition with 2 step
NGK wide band o2
Auto meter 30 psi boost gauge
Cyberdine oil pressure gauge
NGK BR9ES plugs
+40 injectors
AFPR
.020 over common block with JE pistons
ARP main studs,rod bolts,head studs
TII rods
86 2.2 T1 cast crank
F-3 roller cam
061 valve springs with aluminum retainers
adjustable cam sprocket (square tooth)
ported 782 head
TU cast iron header
TU 3 inch swing valve
52mm throttle body
Modded T1 intake(Aaron Miller)
Precision turbo DBB 50 trim, stage 3 wheel
3 inch stainless exhaust turbo back (no cat.)
1080 cfm front mount spearco
Apexi BOV
walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Ramsdell built 555/520 with trans plate & OBX #CLR23907
Joe p. MBC
under drive pully
custom radiator built by TAPP inc.
DevilsOwn alky injection with 7GPH nozzle 2/3 meth 1/3 h2o
89 - K-frame with polly bushings
all polly bushings motor mounts and trans mount.
csracer adjustable track bar.
Billet carrier bearing fixture for equal length
FWD race axles
custom SS oil catch can

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,051 Posts
I bet that thing absolutely flew.

You should post your question in the 9-3SS performance section.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A vid from the drag strip. The car was on 225/50/15 BFG drag radials spinning the tires for 500 feet. I wouldn't lift cause I wasn't gonna loose to the STI in the other lane. Car went 13.4 @ 114.71 mph. with 2.2xx 60 ft time.

http://youtu.be/09-QWwSykrM

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet that thing absolutely flew.

You should post your question in the 9-3SS performance section.

Yes it had alot of power. The dyno sheet was at 28 psi boost with pump gas and meth/h2o. I would drive around on the street with the boost set to 30 psi.
3rd gear roll on blow the tires away at 70 mph

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Getting a tune .. ;ol;

You really need a new clutch pronto. 250 horses shouldn't be that hard on any clutch.

This reminds me of how far we have come. My first turbo was in 1965 and was in a 1963 Corvair that had the Bill Thomas blow through kit (carbs + turbo+) and it put out about 200/210 horsepower. Back in those days that was pretty quick. When the Porsche 911 came over here in 1965 it only had 128 horses.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If your goal is to make similar HP to that of your previous car, then the upgrade path is the same for most....built engine, large turbo, supporting mods (FMIC+piping, injectors, fuel pump, tuning) and LSD. There is no secret formula. The downfall is that for the most part, this will be a custom solution, since there aren't ready off the shelf kits available for the 93 that push 400WHP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your goal is to make similar HP to that of your previous car, then the upgrade path is the same for most....built engine, large turbo, supporting mods (FMIC+piping, injectors, fuel pump, tuning) and LSD. There is no secret formula. The downfall is that for the most part, this will be a custom solution, since there aren't ready off the shelf kits available for the 93 that push 400WHP.
That is the problem i don't want this to turn into what the shelby was. The Shelby Dynoed At 366 whp , 365 ft lbs to the wheels. That dyno pull was done in third gear which wasn't a 1:1 ratio. I i remember correctly third gear was 1.2:1 ratio. The car would only make 28 psi in that gear, not enough load on the motor. If i would have dynoed it in 4th gear which was a slight over drive which was .94:1 ratio. It would have made well over 30+ psi which would have put the car at the 400+ WHP mark with torque to match it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't want to make the 9-3 vector into a 400 whp car. The fact is even though the head is outstanding flow wise, light years ahead of the simple 8 valve head that was on the shelby. The intake sucks on the 2.0T . it has no plenum / no plenum volume what so ever. I don't think you could make 400 whp without a custom intake. The modified/ custom intake i had built had a plenum with a volume of 3.2 liters, the intake runners were shortened by 8 inches. That intake increased the power band by 1000 + rpm by it's self.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bottom line is with the K&N drop in filter that is in it and the MPS stage 1 tune the car should be in the ball park of 260 HP, 265 ft lbs at the crank. I guess my target would be 300 HP 300 Ft lbs at the crank. Is this do able with a 3 inch down pipe and a stage 2 tune? I don't want to have to change injectors or the fuel pump. I also don't want it to destroy the transmission and related parts.

·
Super Moderator
19,051 Posts
you would probably need a 16t turbo and full exhaust to hit 300 unless you are going to run e85 in which case you would need large injectors but could probably hit that with the stock14t

·
Registered
914 Posts
Take some time to read around the stickies, performances related posts, and a couple vendors' sites. I think you'll find that 300hp to the crank won't be too difficult, especially if you talk with some of the well-known tuners. The 9-3 platform is completely different from an 80s turbo car - technology had allowed for a lot more efficiency these days.

And what makes you think the intake on the B207R is insufficient? There's a lot more to making power than internal volume. Head flow, turbo efficiency, cam profiling, etc. are going to be the biggest determining factor in how well the intake works.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Take some time to read around the stickies, performances related posts, and a couple vendors' sites. I think you'll find that 300hp to the crank won't be too difficult, especially if you talk with some of the well-known tuners. The 9-3 platform is completely different from an 80s turbo car - technology had allowed for a lot more efficiency these days.

And what makes you think the intake on the B207R is insufficient? There's a lot more to making power than internal volume. Head flow, turbo efficiency, cam profiling, etc. are going to be the biggest determining factor in how well the intake works.
Well if you look a any 4 cylinder Making 4,5,6,7,800 crank HP the formula for the intake is the same large plenum short runners. The B207R intake is nothing more than four runners cast together with a mounting pad for throttle body. Good for torque but not good of big power at higher RPM. Don't get me wrong i'm sure the stock intake is good for 300 + crank HP. But if someone that wanted to go 400 crank hp and higher . With bigger turbo , intercooler and other supporting mods. I would bet the intake is a bottle neck before you need to worry about head porting and cams. Been there done that.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Well if you look a any 4 cylinder Making 4,5,6,7,800 crank HP the formula for the intake is the same large plenum short runners. The B207R intake is nothing more than four runners cast together with a mounting pad for throttle body. Good for torque but not good of big power at higher RPM. Don't get me wrong i'm sure the stock intake is good for 300 + crank HP. But if someone that wanted to go 400 crank hp and higher . With bigger turbo , intercooler and other supporting mods. I would bet the intake is a bottle neck before you need to worry about head porting and cams. Been there done that.
Well since your first number on your power list started with "4"...there aren't many 2.0's running trionic 8 with 400hp, let alone 300hp...lol so there isn't a lot of experience-backed opinions where the intake will even become a restriction...but honestly if you fabricate or weld, it shouldn't be difficult to make if you measure everything correctly.

The whole system is a bottleneck if you think about it, which is kind of a mind****, lol but the first and most important bottleneck is trionic 8. Don't ever forget that ...:nono; lol

But anyways... for the sake of argument, why are we referencing 400-700hp cars and restrictive intakes heads, and valvetrains when you don't even want to have change the injectors? lol 300 isnt hard, but it's not that simple, it only takes maybe 15 minutes and 150 bucks and you can be in the 350 ballpark with e85 if its available. but with e85, expect the fuel pump to take a ****. thats a fact. if you don't want ethanol, you'll probably hit a little above 350 before you need piston rings. rings are the weakest point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well since your first number on your power list started with "4"...there aren't many 2.0's running trionic 8 with 400hp, let alone 300hp...lol so there isn't a lot of experience-backed opinions where the intake will even become a restriction...but honestly if you fabricate or weld, it shouldn't be difficult to make if you measure everything correctly.

The whole system is a bottleneck if you think about it, which is kind of a mind****, lol but the first and most important bottleneck is trionic 8. Don't ever forget that ...:nono; lol

But anyways... for the sake of argument, why are we referencing 400-700hp cars and restrictive intakes heads, and valvetrains when you don't even want to have change the injectors? lol 300 isnt hard, but it's not that simple, it only takes maybe 15 minutes and 150 bucks and you can be in the 350 ballpark with e85 if its available. but with e85, expect the fuel pump to take a ****. thats a fact. if you don't want ethanol, you'll probably hit a little above 350 before you need piston rings. rings are the weakest point.
Well I'm not even thinking of trying for 400 crank hp. I need this car for daily driving. I have no interest In E85 i have yet to see it at any gas station here in the poconos. I would go meth/h2o first. After the clutch is replaced ill do some exhaust work and see if mike from MPS wants to come out and due a dyno tune and we'll see just how much is left on the table.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts