SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know what Opel has done to the new 2010 Opel Insignia engine? It's the same "LP9" engine as our beloved 2.8L V6 Turbos, (I have an '08 Turbo X) but they're getting 325bhp stock out of it. Whereas my Turbo X was only 280bhp stock.

My previous owner did a Stage 1 upgrade to it, and replaced the entire Exhaust (removing a Cat), so I'm supposedly getting 360hp. But, I plan to go to Stage 2 and beyond you might say.

Thus I'm wondering what Opel has done that maybe I can incorporate into further upgrades. Did they modify the Intake, or beef up the Intercooler? etc. etc. I haven't been able to find out. Do any of the many super highly informed people on this Forum know ?!?!

(super highly informed = you know who you are ;ol; )
Thank You!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey does anyone know what Opel has done to the new 2010 Opel Insignia engine? It's the same "LP9" engine as our beloved 2.8L V6 Turbos, (I have an '08 Turbo X) but they're getting 325bhp stock out of it. Whereas my Turbo X was only 280bhp stock.

My previous owner did a Stage 1 upgrade to it, and replaced the entire Exhaust (removing a Cat), so I'm supposedly getting 360hp. But, I plan to go to Stage 2 and beyond you might say.

Thus I'm wondering what Opel has done that maybe I can incorporate into further upgrades. Did they modify the Intake, or beef up the Intercooler? etc. etc. I haven't been able to find out. Do any of the many super highly informed people on this Forum know ?!?!

(super highly informed = you know who you are ;ol; )
Thank You!
The big diffrent is and its the same engine as in new Saab 9-5 2,8t Aero:

Variabele valve timing both on inlet and outlet side.
Other cam shafts
Removed SAI pump
New intake
bigger throttele body dont remember if was 70 or 80mm.
Bigger injectors.
Denso coil pack.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Micke

What's an SAI pump?

I was going to get bigger injectors when I did the Stage 2 upgrade, anyway.

But, I like the idea of a new Intake and bigger Throttle Bodies.
I definitely need to look into that, in the hopes that they're just a bolt-on upgrade.

I wonder - do you know? - if Opel went with a different MAF sensor because of that?

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Its a air pump for for cat lightning.

Intake and throttele will fit directly on the car,Your biggest problem will be to find anyone that can help with your Me9 becouse the throttle position sensor dont work at the same way allso the NLP position is not the same.So i think yor biggest challange is to find someone that will and can help you with this.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The big diffrent is and its the same engine as in new Saab 9-5 2,8t Aero:

Variabele valve timing both on inlet and outlet side.
Other cam shafts
Removed SAI pump
New intake
bigger throttele body dont remember if was 70 or 80mm.
Bigger injectors.
Denso coil pack.
Hey Micke,

I'm glad to see you are still coming here every once in a while.

I was wondering as well about the changes in the engines especially with your website giving different HP figures for the different models such as the 9-5, 9-3, and Opel.

SAI I believe we refer to as Secondary Air Pump. On the 2.0 they removed it in MY 04'. I figured the V6 had one as I can hear it upon start up.

And what brand was the old coil packs with the new ones being Denso?

I also believed I mentioned to you a while back about the 6 speed Aisin tranny in V6 Aero's that had bad valve bodies.
Keep that in mind when people like myself have problems with the tranny only when it's tuned.

And on a side note how is BSR as a company doing with all the new competition from Maptune and HPTuners/VTuner?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Micke,

I'm glad to see you are still coming here every once in a while.

I was wondering as well about the changes in the engines especially with your website giving different HP figures for the different models such as the 9-5, 9-3, and Opel.

SAI I believe we refer to as Secondary Air Pump. On the 2.0 they removed it in MY 04'. I figured the V6 had one as I can hear it upon start up.

And what brand was the old coil packs with the new ones being Denso?

I also believed I mentioned to you a while back about the 6 speed Aisin tranny in V6 Aero's that had bad valve bodies.
Keep that in mind when people like myself have problems with the tranny only when it's tuned.

And on a side note how is BSR as a company doing with all the new competition from Maptune and HPTuners/VTuner?
Yes 9-3ss V6 have SAI pump Insignia OPC 325hp and 9-5 2,8t dont have it.The big HW change is the variabele cam timing allso on the outlet side in Insignia 325hp and 9-5 2,8t on 9-3ss 2,8t you only have variabele cam timing on inlet side.Yes its Denso coil pack in Insignia 325hp and 9-5 2,8T.Its same engine in 9-5 Aero 2,8t 300hp and Insignia OPC 325hp only diffrence are engine SW.In my own race car i use all this new HW uppgrades. BSR have not noticed any big competion on Saab tuning we basiclly sell the same amount of tuning kit for Saab.

Have a nice day in sweden its now time for bed;-)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Intake and throttele will fit directly on the car,Your biggest problem will be to find anyone that can help with your Me9 becouse the throttle position sensor dont work at the same way allso the NLP position is not the same.So i think yor biggest challange is to find someone that will and can help you with this.
Hi Micke
Thank you for your superior inside info.
I apologize but I don't know what a "Me9" is nor what the "NLP" is.
Please explain when you get a chance.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes 9-3ss V6 have SAI pump Insignia OPC 325hp and 9-5 2,8t dont have it.The big HW change is the variabele cam timing allso on the outlet side in Insignia 325hp and 9-5 2,8t on 9-3ss 2,8t you only have variabele cam timing on inlet side.Yes its Denso coil pack in Insignia 325hp and 9-5 2,8T.Its same engine in 9-5 Aero 2,8t 300hp and Insignia OPC 325hp only diffrence are engine SW.In my own race car i use all this new HW uppgrades. BSR have not noticed any big competion on Saab tuning we basiclly sell the same amount of tuning kit for Saab.

Have a nice day in sweden its now time for bed;-)
Hi Micke
couple of follow up questions.

I have a 2008 Turbo X. My previous owner removed the second Cat, and replaced the first Cat at the Turbo with a higher-flow "Sport Cat." It seems to me I don't need the SAI - if it's even still hooked up. Would I need to change the Engine Management Software if I removed it?

As for variable exhaust valve timing - I don't suppose it's possible to merely swap out the Cylinder Heads from an Insignia OPC onto my Turbo X? I'm assuming there's software changes needed too. But, it sounds like you did this for your Race Car. You said you use all the new HW upgrades. So, what were the mechanical challenges?

By the way, I'm new here, what is your Race Car? A Saab 2.8t?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Micke
Thank you for your superior inside info.
I apologize but I don't know what a "Me9" is nor what the "NLP" is.
Please explain when you get a chance.
Thanks again!
Me9 is the engine management system Bosch Me9.6
NLP position is basicly that position your throttle blade have when there is no power on it if i remeber correct its 6,3% in old and 27% in the bigger throttle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Micke
couple of follow up questions.

I have a 2008 Turbo X. My previous owner removed the second Cat, and replaced the first Cat at the Turbo with a higher-flow "Sport Cat." It seems to me I don't need the SAI - if it's even still hooked up. Would I need to change the Engine Management Software if I removed it?

As for variable exhaust valve timing - I don't suppose it's possible to merely swap out the Cylinder Heads from an Insignia OPC onto my Turbo X? I'm assuming there's software changes needed too. But, it sounds like you did this for your Race Car. You said you use all the new HW upgrades. So, what were the mechanical challenges?

By the way, I'm new here, what is your Race Car? A Saab 2.8t?
It dont do any harm for you to still have it installed,Yes you need to adapt the SW if you remove it.Yes you need to do alot of work in engine management SW if you will install cylinder head with doubele valve timing.

Here is a link for a movie when i tested my car for some weaks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9LC0gI5SsQ

And here the spec on modification but iam not ready.

Saab 9-3 SS

*Carbonfiber hood

*Carbonfiber front bumper

*Carbonfiber fender

*Carbonfiber rear door dummy

*Carbonfiber rear fender

*Aluminum rear front door mirror

*Aluminum rear trunck

*Aluminum floor after the driver seat

*H/R front shock absorber made for dragracing

*28/10,5-15 M/T ET drag tyres

*Simpson parachute

*Topspeed With 4,0 diff and 28" tyres and 29/31 chain set tyres 250km/h (without expanded tyres)
With 4,0 diff and 28" tyres and 28/32 chain set tyres 235km/h (without expanded tyres)
With 3,29 diff and 28" tyres and 29/31 chain set 300km/h (without expanded tyres)
With 3,29 diff and 28" tyres and 28/32 chain set 285km/h (without expanded tyres)

*Dry weght 1103kg (1225kg at raceline with driver) 70% of the weght at the front axele 30% at the rear axele.

Engine:

Saab HFV6 (B284L)

*J/E piston

*Verdi piston rods

*Piper cams 11,5mm lift 304° duration made for adjustibele valve timing both on inlet and outlet

*Piper doubbele valve springs and retainer

*Jesel OHC cam followers

*Jesel solid and adjustibele lifter

*Cylinder head from Saab 9-5 2,8T Aero

*80mm Throttele body

*Specialmade inlet manifold

*Special made outlet manifold

*Special made intercooler and pipes

*Comp turbo trippele ballbaring turbo with 82mm compressor and anti surch.

*3,5° exthaus without muffler.

*Bosch motorsport injectors

*Three original fuel pumps.

*Uppgraded coil pack from Denso

*Denso iridium race sparkpluggs

*Engine controller Bosch Me9,6

*Race technoligy Dasch2

4t65 Race transmission CPT700 3 gears

*19x7/169 Sprocket/Chain Set, (Ratio 1) 29 tooth drive, 31
tooth driven, 7/169 Chain, Drive Sprocket support Assy.
CPT702 GM Racing

*Option 19x7/169 Sprocket/Chain Set, (Ratio 1) 28 tooth drive, 32
CPT701 GM Racing

*SHAFT ASM TURBINE (Input Shaft Assembly) Turbine
Shaft and Sleeve and pump shaft
CPT708 GM Racin

*3rd Gear Clutch Pack CPT709 GM Racing

*Differential and Final Drive Assembly 4.0 incl Sun and
Park Gears Sungear and Sungear shaft GEAR PARK
CPT712 GM Racing

*With option:
Differential and Final Drive Assembly 3.29 incl. Torsen,
pinion gears, pins
88958682 GM Performance Parts

*930 CV Output Flange RH CPT713 GM Racing
930 CV Output Flange LH CPT714 GM Racing

*4T65 E CASE Assembly w/ increased bell–housing wall
thickness
CPT717 GM Racing

*Torque Converter 10" specal made from Coan stall speed 4000rpm

*Planetary Assembly 24208311 & 24225849 GM Service Part

*Transbreak from GM Racing

*Special made drive shaft with BMW M5 iner CV-Joint and Saab 9-3SS out CV-Joint.

*Volvo S80 T6 handling opreator

*PCS transmission controller with paddele shifter

*Total ratio with 4,0diff

1 12,530
2 6,710
3 4,28

*Speciall made adapterplate HFV6 to 4t65

*Can handele over 1200hp and max 10000 engine RPM

·
Registered
17 Posts
It dont do any harm for you to still have it installed,Yes you need to adapt the SW if you remove it.Yes you need to do alot of work in engine management SW if you will install cylinder head with doubele valve timing.

Here is a link for a movie when i tested my car for some weaks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9LC0gI5SsQ

And here the spec on modification but iam not ready.

Saab 9-3 SS

*Carbonfiber hood

*Carbonfiber front bumper

*Carbonfiber fender

*Carbonfiber rear door dummy

*Carbonfiber rear fender

*Aluminum rear front door mirror

*Aluminum rear trunck

*Aluminum floor after the driver seat

*H/R front shock absorber made for dragracing

*28/10,5-15 M/T ET drag tyres

*Simpson parachute

*Topspeed With 4,0 diff and 28" tyres and 29/31 chain set tyres 250km/h (without expanded tyres)
With 4,0 diff and 28" tyres and 28/32 chain set tyres 235km/h (without expanded tyres)
With 3,29 diff and 28" tyres and 29/31 chain set 300km/h (without expanded tyres)
With 3,29 diff and 28" tyres and 28/32 chain set 285km/h (without expanded tyres)

*Dry weght 1103kg (1225kg at raceline with driver) 70% of the weght at the front axele 30% at the rear axele.

Engine:

Saab HFV6 (B284L)

*J/E piston

*Verdi piston rods

*Piper cams 11,5mm lift 304° duration made for adjustibele valve timing both on inlet and outlet

*Piper doubbele valve springs and retainer

*Jesel OHC cam followers

*Jesel solid and adjustibele lifter

*Cylinder head from Saab 9-5 2,8T Aero

*80mm Throttele body

*Specialmade inlet manifold

*Special made outlet manifold

*Special made intercooler and pipes

*Comp turbo trippele ballbaring turbo with 82mm compressor and anti surch.

*3,5° exthaus without muffler.

*Bosch motorsport injectors

*Three original fuel pumps.

*Uppgraded coil pack from Denso

*Denso iridium race sparkpluggs

*Engine controller Bosch Me9,6

*Race technoligy Dasch2

4t65 Race transmission CPT700 3 gears

*19x7/169 Sprocket/Chain Set, (Ratio 1) 29 tooth drive, 31
CPT702 GM Racing

*Option 19x7/169 Sprocket/Chain Set, (Ratio 1) 28 tooth drive, 32
CPT701 GM Racing

*SHAFT ASM TURBINE (Input Shaft Assembly) Turbine
Shaft and Sleeve and pump shaft
CPT708 GM Racin

*3rd Gear Clutch Pack CPT709 GM Racing

*Differential and Final Drive Assembly 4.0 incl Sun and
Park Gears Sungear and Sungear shaft GEAR PARK
CPT712 GM Racing

*With option:
Differential and Final Drive Assembly 3.29 incl. Torsen,
pinion gears, pins
88958682 GM Performance Parts

*930 CV Output Flange RH CPT713 GM Racing
930 CV Output Flange LH CPT714 GM Racing

*4T65 E CASE Assembly w/ increased bell–housing wall
thickness
CPT717 GM Racing

*Torque Converter 10" specal made from Coan stall speed 4000rpm

*Planetary Assembly 24208311 & 24225849 GM Service Part

*Transbreak from GM Racing

*Special made drive shaft with BMW M5 iner CV-Joint and Saab 9-3SS out CV-Joint.

*Volvo S80 T6 handling opreator

*PCS transmission controller with paddele shifter

*Total ratio with 4,0diff

1 12,530
2 6,710
3 4,28

*Speciall made adapterplate HFV6 to 4t65

*Can handele over 1200hp and max 10000 engine RPM
:eek:
*EYE POPPING*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts