SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i want to put in my mbc+a that is sitting here. however, i have the stock bpv right now. i also need my car for a good 1.5k mile trip (that is 750 each way) in three weeks. i hear that the boost increase will mess up my bpv. what is the likely hood of my bpv failing all together? also, what happens if it fails, will it hurt anything? I just am debating on puting it in now or waiting until i have a bov or upgradted bpv

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
well in series of events:

1. you'll put your foot into it
2. turbo spools
3. you hear a honking noise
4. turbo boost drops dramatically
5. you frown

so yeah, I guess no real harm. I drove around with a failed unit for a while without knowing it. But much less power.

·
Registered
487 Posts
your bov should be just fine with the added pressure. and by fine i mean is not gonna hurt anything to run the extra boost. that being said. its not the ideal situation, the stock valve is going to start leaking pressure fairly soon, and isn't going to hold presure very well. if you have the means i would upgrade both at the same time. thats what i've done. i'm curently running a turbo xs MBC and a turbo XS BOV and aside from being a little quite for a show boat like me it works nicely

·
Registered
919 Posts
When it fails it will not hold high boost. It will flutter under throttle, but i dont know between what pressures. If the stock one is important to you, dont put the mbca in, but if it doesnt matter... just put it in and try to keep the boost under control most of the time. If its just interstate driving, you shouldnt be boosting except for passing people.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
and if you do opt to go for uprater bov, there are plenty of good options. Searching should get you good results. Brands like forge and turboxs work well.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My stock bpv took a good beating of probably well over 10K miles before it started hooting at me. And that was with the MBC+A tuned to 15psi. You should be fine with the stock bpv for a little bit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its not that i want to keep stock. its just that i dont know if i want to drop the coin for a bov

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
then just a wait a bit. If it fails or not will tell you if you should spend the money I guess.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
yeah there is so much to buy.... but as mark said, your stocker may make it for a little while with increased boost. and also, bovs sound so frickin cool.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
turboxs trye-rfl is I think $135? maybe less.

·
Registered
23 Posts
greddy type s fan here. probably one of the best bov out there and it sounds awesome!! got mine for 150 on ebay. if you want the best whoosh for the buck get that.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Forge makes a great BOV. I think its $130 great sound as the turbo XS is so loud. If your not sure if you want it to be loud then dont get the XS. The Forge has great sound and ability to be self maintained.

Do a search the BOV subject has been ripped apart on these boards.

·
Registered
487 Posts
a flat head screw driver and something to block the return line. i used a copper fitting from home depot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
487 Posts
i like it, it's not as loud as i would like actully. but then i have look at me syndrome that i haven't grown out of yet heehee. maybe when i'm 28 haha.

as for puting it in. yo just unscrew the old one. slide in the new one attach the line and your golden. the only thing is that is does fit kinda tight agaist the front of the engine bay. no problems really but i'm thinking about puting in a 90 degree elbow to move it. as for blocking if off, i went to home depot and bough a 89 cent copper end peice and hose clamped it in. that all there is

1 - 20 of 26 Posts