SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 (actually 93) 900 convertible. One morning recently I went to drive it and found that the clutch was completely slack. No resistance. Obviously not working. I had the car towed and the shop--after disassembly--prescribed replacement of my shifter (bent), my clutch, the throw out bearing and the slave cylinder. Here's my question: There were no warning signs--the gear shift worked fine, clutch fine, etc. the night before. Could it be that someone with a strong vehicle literally pushed my car during the night? I park on a level street where parking is sometimes hard to get, and I just leave it in gear (not using the parking brake). I'm thinking, could someone have pushed this in-gear car 4' or 5' feet, putting pressure on the front wheels to turn, and caused this damage? I could understand how the repair shop could recommend a new clutch and bearing, etc, as the car has about 100,000 miles. But a bent shifter? The repairman said that when the car came in the transmission was completely stuck in first gear (usually I leave it in reverse, but maybe I didn't this time); he was unable to shift into neutral. Advice here? Lawrence.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I do not understand how the shifter got bent. Even if the car were bumped or pushed that would not bend the shifter. As for the clutch, I hate to say it but it is a saab, and that little treat has happened to almost every saab at some point. I suspect your slave gave out. The good news is the entire clutch can be swapped out in less than an hour.

·
Registered
230 Posts
3 words: TOW TRUCK DRIVER

TOW TRUCK DRIVER

I'd bet he bent the shifter trying to get it out of reverse not knowing the key had to be turned.

And i bet the problem with the clutch is a ruptured clutch rubber line.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I would also place blame on the tow truck driver.

I once had my vert towed because the apartment complex transposed my license plate on the lease.

They drug it on a flatbead whilst in 1st gear and who knows what they used to get it off.

Of course they did not think they did anything wrong and would not replace the trans. (nor did my complex reimburse my tow lol)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts