SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired my dad's '02 95 and am curious what other peoples turbo's sound like. I may be used to other peoples turbo'd cars or don't remember what his car used to sound like, but my 95 does not give off the usual turbo 'whistle'. My turbo spooling sounds more like a big diesel turbo at idle then what I am used to.

Any thoughts or feedback?!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
If I accelerate while driving through a tunnel I can hear my little turbo spooling. It sounds like my previous Volvos did, like air being blown through a straw in front of a fan. Not really a whistle, and not really audible unless you're listening for it.

The only cars my family has had that had a really pronounced turbo whistle was my moms '90 Audi 200, and my sisters '01 Turbo Beetle. Both use a KKK turbocharger.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
mine is particularly loud. it sounds like you'd think it would, a bunch of air pressure being built up (not so much a whistle) and if you didn't know any better, youd think something was going to blow up. then you hear the lovely bypass valve doing its job as you slam the throttle plate shut. :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
My Aero makes a glorious turbo whistle as it spools up. I can only hear it with the windows down though. And it helps to have a guard rail or tree-cover for the sounds to bounce back to the car. This is just with the stock intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts