SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the DICE have anything to do with power window or sunroof operation?

This question is about a 2001 Saab 9-3 Hatchback.

Thanks,

Journeysaab

·
Registered
834 Posts
Are these what you are talkiing about? :D

What do you mean by DICE?

sab

·
Registered
22 Posts
No. Following functions are controlled by DICE: exterior/interior lighting, button illumination and lightning for controls, acoustic warning, windscreen and rear window intermittent wiper operation, electrically heated rear window and door mirrors, radiator fan and air conditioning.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The DICE seems to be a glorified timer, also, if circuits are shared, easy diagnosis..

DICE = d....... intregrated central electronics

Is the DICE a more comprehensive ICE ? ...And a 9-3 feature ??

·
Registered
834 Posts
so are we talking about the SID then? Never heard of the term DICE... hence the pic I posted! :)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
DICE = d.......... integrated central electronics (timer)

SID = Saab info display (display)

TWICE = t ...... warning integrated central electronics (alarm system)

Haynes is about as limited as my memory:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
DICE = Dashboard Integrated Central Electronics

And as far as I know controls lighting, door mirrors and wipers.

TWICE = Theft Warning Integrated Central Electronics

This puppy controls anti theft stuff such as the immobilizer, alarm, On-Star and power seats, and the checking of lights.

I had both these units self destruct a few days after warranty and left me with a $1200 tab that the dealer nor GM would come good on. Needless to say, I don't like DICE/TWICE much! From what I know, the two live under the driver's seat. When mine died, the car went nuts...horn went on, lights went on a flashed, On-star did weird things...all with no key in the ignition, no one inside....when it was supposed to be sleeping in my drive.

I don't think either of these units have anything to do with the power windows or the sunroof (about the only electronics on my car that were not possessed), but I could be wrong.

Best of luck,
Robert

·
Registered
281 Posts
The dice would only come into play for the lighting of the panel itself, Not for control of those items you spoke of.

The DICE controls alot of things, the list is too long to type at this time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
kpa2004 said:
The dice would only come into play for the lighting of the panel itself, Not for control of those items you spoke of.

The DICE controls alot of things, the list is too long to type at this time.
Message #3 in this thread:
ballantine said:
No. Following functions are controlled by DICE: exterior/interior lighting, button illumination and lightning for controls, acoustic warning, windscreen and rear window intermittent wiper operation, electrically heated rear window and door mirrors, radiator fan and air conditioning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I found a cheap DICE unit on ebay from a yard and picked it up. (Can you say desperate?) I figure I might be chasing two different things, or who knows what.

How do I replace it? Where does it live? I have read behind the dash, or under the seat.

Anyone know for sure?

It is a 2001 Saab 9-3.

The complete list of non-working items are:

Windshield wipers
Heater fan
Cruise Control
Power Windows
TCS will not turn off
Sunroof
Turn Signals

On a side note, where is the ignition relay?

Thanks,

Journey.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
having disassembled a Viggen I now know that the DICE lives in the dashboard on the far left on left hand drive vehicles. You can access it by dropping the under dash kick panel on the driver's side. There's a white plastic box that slides out but I can't remember if you have to remove the relays that are also located there....that may be where the starter relay lives? I can get you more info on Monday when I can access my EPS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So how DO I get the DICE module out?

I removed the kick panel out and would love to be able to get to the DICE module, as I have a replacement for it from a yard and I want to see if this somehow alters the behavior.

Journey

·
Registered
385 Posts
Short question guys:

We have a problem in our 9-3 2001 - from time to time, at the same time, wipers, turn indicators and window opening/closing mechanism stop working. It happens during a ride and then, after couple of minutes, it starts working again.
Does the DICE module has stgh to do with it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to add,that back in the 90s when I turned wrenches at an import shop, a LOT of electrical issues with Saabs were ignition switch related,as even back then the switch was in an unfortunate place,the center console. Thus all the crud and crumbs of the day ended up,only this time in the iggy switch! Just a note to consider...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Short question guys:

We have a problem in our 9-3 2001 - from time to time, at the same time, wipers, turn indicators and window opening/closing mechanism stop working. It happens during a ride and then, after couple of minutes, it starts working again.
Does the DICE module has stgh to do with it?
Definitely DICE and you would want to first check the fuse, then power to the fuse, then the DICE connectors (not fun to get to the DICE unit), then the DICE unit itself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts