SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:roll:

Hello, I'm interested to manage as most as possible the differents components of my car myself.

The Official dealer'sTech2 tool, which connects on OBD2 plug and allow the total management of the board computer costs a fortune, and it's unrealistic to buy it for a private use.

I've then been to see on eBay if there weren't any other interface, which, linked to my laptop PC, could 'read' and 'write' the data of the board computer, and allow me to make some managment of my error codes etc, without speeding any time to the Saab dealer which is a good friend of mine but of my wallet also ...

I've found the ELM327 sold by several accessory dealers in different countries, and presented as the best (also in usb form) interface to connect a laptop to the OBD2 universal plug, alloxing the DIY of 100 different fonctions of the board computer :reading the data, captors, in real time, reading the codes in memory, erasing the breakdown codes, making graphics, etc etc.

The device is cheap (less than 100 euros) and it's very tempting.
Associed to the device, and to make it work they present 10 or 15 different programs, all of then for sale (separately of the device), and all of then presented as the best managing systems for any car, including our Saab's. The most tempting of all (from the outside) is PCMCAN. A beautioful interface, a real university and graphic course !

BUT DOES IT WORK ?

Does anybody of you have an experience of this type of device ?
Is it worth buying it ?
Which is the best model to buy ?
ELM327 or another one ?
And what about the managing program ?
Which one works on our Saab's ?
PCMSCAN or another one ?

Thanks for your help in the matter, I don't want to jump into buying things that shouldn't help : I don't want to loose nor my money, nor my time.

And forgive my mistakes in english, my native and everydays's language is french, I only learned english during the 2 years of my lived spend in England 20 years ago.

Have a nice day and thanks for your answers.
Bjorn
Belgium
;)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I am using a ELM327 device without any issues on a Saab (2002 Aero). Its Ok for reading engine and transmissions error codes and read the current values in this ECUs. For programming these ECUs or programming and diagnosing the other ECUs in the car you cant use a OBD2 device. Programming and full access to all ECUs in the car is limited to Tech2 - no way with a OBD2 device.

But the ELM327 device is very helpful in diagnosing CEL issues which are the most common error - so its worth the money.

I am using this one http://www.obd-2.de/eShop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=243&language=en with ScanmasterELM - but any OBD2-Software should be able to read the faultcodes.

/GG

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Innova

I just picked up an Innova for $100 buck at Walmart... Worked fine for pulling the code.

It sounds like you want more out of the device rather than just pulling codes. Briefly discussed on this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110822

These two links are from this thread:

http://pikkupossu.1g.fi/tomi/projec...us.html#obd2sid

http://pikkupossu.1g.fi/tomi/projec...abopentech.html

It seems that they may have used an Elm somthing or other hooked up to a laptop. then used some software that they wrote to interact with the ECU. Looks scary to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Although a little more pricey, the VAG-COM stuff from Ross Tech works for the OBDII stuff as well. I only have it because of the Audis I had in the past. Got that fed up with going down the dealers on a weekly basis to have them plugged in I got this. Fair play since I've had the 9-5, the only real thing to go wrong was the gearbox but that was down to the previous owner trashing it and the repair cowboys ballsing the repair up. Tripped over their spurs before I got into the shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
strange codes

Hello Saab friends,

I've used/tested several programs with the interface ELM327 - that I've finally bought - on my 9.5 2.2 tid 2002.

- Proscan 5.1 can't connect : unable to establish the protocol
- Pcmscan connects but doesn't give any information, it's only able to clear the fault codes, without being able to read then nor anything else !
- Scantool.net connects but seems only able to give an information when 'check engine' appears
- ScanmasterELM seems to be the best, at least the only one working really.
It connects, and gives a lot of informations, even if some of then are rather 'exotics'.

Yesterday, using ScanmasterELM, I've got the following :

- stored codes : P0311, C1700, P00B0
- pending codes : P0711, C1B00, P003E

How do you interprate that ?

I don't have the signification of any of then, except P0311 that means ignition misfire on cylinder 11. Super crazy on a 4 cylinder diesel engine ... :evil: :cheesy:

Thanks for your help and sorry for my mistakes in english ...

Bjorn
Belgium

·
Registered
708 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I purchased the bundled ODBII reader (ELM327) with the ProScan software.
It works great, as advertized, registration required to make the software work, but you get free updates for life.
I didn't have any codes to pull, but I'm ready if they come up:cheesy:
I didn't have time to go through all the other features like the dyno, and track time, for two reasons, more of a gimick and my laptop battery needs to be replaced.
Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My Proscan software, bought and registered, doesn't work

I ordered straight to the developpers the Proscan software and made an official registration etc, but it doesn't connect for connectivity problems, not because the registration is missing.
It can't manage the protocol : it recognises the ELM327 but stops during the initialisation of OBD2 and does the same even if I ask it to bypass the initialisation
BUT my ELM327 has been purchased separately to another seller, hence maybe small differences in the hardware with the device sold by the Proscan company ?
Does your Proscan connect with the automatic settings or do you have to enter the settings manually ?
I tested all of the options, none work in my case
Does anybody else have the same problems ?
Any help ?
Thanks
Bjorn

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
P0711 Oil temperature sensor automatic gearbox open circuit / short to B+ /short to ground /range error (During the first 15min of drive oil temperature increases /decreases less than 5°C)
P0311 unknown
C1700 unknown
P00B0 unknown
P003E unknown
C1B00 unknown

according to wis... So it seems you have some strange error codes or your reader has a problem. clear them and see if they appear again.
Scanmaster does work ok at my 2002 aero

·
Registered
708 Posts
bjornbjork said:
I ordered straight to the developpers the Proscan software and made an official registration etc, but it doesn't connect for connectivity problems, not because the registration is missing.
It can't manage the protocol : it recognises the ELM327 but stops during the initialisation of OBD2 and does the same even if I ask it to bypass the initialisation
BUT my ELM327 has been purchased separately to another seller, hence maybe small differences in the hardware with the device sold by the Proscan company ?
Does your Proscan connect with the automatic settings or do you have to enter the settings manually ?
I tested all of the options, none work in my case
Does anybody else have the same problems ?
Any help ?
Thanks
Bjorn
It connected right away with the default automatic setting, which applies only to the ODBII interface.
Do you have the USB or serial version of the ELM? Maybe it's a driver issue or the port your using is not configured properly.
In my case the USB version sets up a virtual serial port which the Proscan then uses to communicate. There were a couple of drivers to install, but it all worked right away.
Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
elm327

I have an usb version of the ELM327
It configurates a virtual com5 and connect trought it easilly
But it seems that I've more problems than other people ...
I've tried to erase my hexdecimal codes ... it does it, but they reappair immediately ...
A friend of mine has also an ELM327
I'll test my car with it, maybe mine has a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts