SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I put my 17"s back on my '99 9-3 for the summer, and instead of the stock scissor jack, I used a 3 ton floor jack. I used the stock mounting points. I used a block of wood, wrapped in a towel, to try and protect the mounting points. After I was finished, nothing was bent or anything, but I saw some bare metal exposed in a few areas of the jack points.

I wiped the area, and realized that there was no undercoating, and that the area must have just had paint from the factory, and no undercoat. I touched it up with my touch up paint. When that's dry, tomorrow I may just spray a little bit of 3M rubber undercoat on the area too. I have nothing to worry about, right? I HATE rust, and want to keep this thing pristine and rust free.

I couldn't find a rubber jack pad in any of the car parts stores. What do you guys use to protect your car? While a pain to use, it seems the stock scissor jack is more gentle on the car....

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I bought a fancy jack with a rubber cover, etc. I also bought some expensive jacks. I am always jacking the car up, and by always I mean almost every weekend.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Asia Skyly said:
I bought a fancy jack with a rubber cover, etc. I also bought some expensive jacks. I am always jacking the car up, and by always I mean almost every weekend.
Does it seem like what I did is fine, as far as just having a bit of metal exposed, and touching it up?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
i put a 2" block of wood on the jack between the jack and the 'stand' area on the car... Like a piece of 2 x 4 or 2 x 6.

dents into the wood a little, but i know that the wood will give before bending/braking anything, and still provide enough density to LIFT under normal force of the jacking...

peace,
bny

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
SAABturboDRIVR said:
Today I put my 17"s back on my '99 9-3 for the summer, and instead of the stock scissor jack, I used a 3 ton floor jack. I used the stock mounting points. I used a block of wood, wrapped in a towel, to try and protect the mounting points. After I was finished, nothing was bent or anything, but I saw some bare metal exposed in a few areas of the jack points.

I wiped the area, and realized that there was no undercoating, and that the area must have just had paint from the factory, and no undercoat. I touched it up with my touch up paint. When that's dry, tomorrow I may just spray a little bit of 3M rubber undercoat on the area too. I have nothing to worry about, right? I HATE rust, and want to keep this thing pristine and rust free.

I couldn't find a rubber jack pad in any of the car parts stores. What do you guys use to protect your car? While a pain to use, it seems the stock scissor jack is more gentle on the car....
Sir, you are a dyed in the New Zealand wool enthusiast.

Wood or rubber should always be used, sometimes, even I do it this way.
On annual basis, one should jack her up and check out everything underneath.
This is much easier if a man has a lift.
I do not know if undercoating is necessary, I would use POR-15 where I see rust.
There is also another product that is "thin" and prevents rust.
The Mustang people may know of this.. Or the local Napa store.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
earthworm said:
Sir, you are a dyed in the New Zealand wool enthusiast.
So you are saying that I took plenty of precaution by using the wood block wrapped in a towel, and that most people would never notice a little bit of the metal showing on the jack points?

I admit I am super anal about my car. :)

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
I have a pair of aluminum trolley jacks, both with rubber pads. One's a small 1.5 ton model that can jack up the sides, and the other is a big 2.5 ton jack that I use to jack it up by the front center mounting point. The little one is amazingly light, and even the big one can be carried with one hand, but not very far.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Your small paint chip will be fine. Don't worry about it. If it were to rust, it would probably only be surface rust which would be easy to clean back off. Putting a little touch up paint or primer on it will help prevent that.

Tboy

p.s. I use a floor jack.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Standard Craftsman 2 ton floor jack for me. It also has the rubber cup that actually hits the car, it seems to be kind to the paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts