SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after owning a 9-5 Aero for about 3 years, I decided to pick up an addition to my 1 car team. What do you guys think?

I just picked her up today. 1999 Lightning Blue Viggen 2-door (if you couldn't tell from the photos =]) I have always wanted one of these. I would've rather had a 4 door, but you know hard it is to find one of those in 4 door.

So far I love it! I'm definitely keeping my 9-5 Aero as it runs VERY well so I don't want to lose it. The Viggen needs some work, but I think I can manage it. I've got a list of things I want to do, but I think for now it will stay in my garage until I can get around to it. The first thing on the list is get the power steering hose fixed. Looks like the high pressure power steering hose has a pretty big leak. I'm not sure which one it is or how well I could replace it myself, so I'll probably take it in to have it looked at.

It also looks like it has some sort of engine hesitation issue. Seems to lessen as the engine heats up but when I'm at low to mid throttle, it will hesitate and act like it's not boosting/accelerating correctly. When I accelerate, it will hold like it's not accelerating, then suddenly pick up out of nowhere. It's a strange issue. I am going to replace the sparkplugs and see if it helps, but not sure if it will.

And, strangely enough, it sounds like the cabin air filter runs continuously, even when the car is off. It just keeps running and I'm not sure why! Any ideas?

Well, it's good to get back into the forums after being dormant for so long. It's not my fault though, the 9-5 has just been running so well I just don't need to! =]

I hope you all like my new purchase, and some insight on Viggens would be very helpful! I'm looking forward to a long ownership and a some good years with the new car!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Looks cool. I'd love to have it.

1st job: Drop the pan, check for sludge ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll add another welcome to the Viggen club!

How many miles on it? Do you have any service records?

Add to your to-do list:

1. Clear side markers.
2. Pry out the orange in the side of the headlamps...with those wheels, clear sides will look super smooth.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beyond jealous, I'll have to check it out sometime ;ol;
Chris! Yes you will. I have to take it to Fox Saab in a bit to get the power steering fixed and some other things checked out, but other than that, she's lookin' pretty good.

Looks cool. I'd love to have it.

1st job: Drop the pan, check for sludge
I made sure to ask if he had dropped it to check and he had said yes, but I'll still do it anyway. I have a feeling it will be MUCH easier than my 9-5 Aero. =]

I'll add another welcome to the Viggen club!

How many miles on it? Do you have any service records?

Add to your to-do list:

1. Clear side markers.
2. Pry out the orange in the side of the headlamps...with those wheels, clear sides will look super smooth.
Thank you for the welcome! I have always wanted to be a part of the club. It currently has 167k miles on it. Not too bad.

I definitely need the clear side markers. I also should remove the orange. Is it similar to the process on the 9-5? I did it to the ones on my 9-5 and it wasn't too bad.

All, thank you for the welcomes! I hope to have it in great running condition soon.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
If the PS line is leaking from under the bumper, you just need to replace the line. It's an elongated job because the bumper has to come off, but it's not hard. Once you know how to take the bumper off, you can have it off in about 20 minutes. You then move the intercooler out of the way, the oil cooler, and replace the line. Medium level DIY. Last I checked, the line was about $135.

Sometimes it's the line that goes to the rack, that one is a PITA to get out, but someone posted a trick to do it easily. Google here for "power steering line" or "PS line" and you should find it.

Google here for "clear corners" and my user name (as key words) for instructions on the corner lights. I think I spent 30 minutes the first time I did one of them. Now I can do them in about 10 minutes. Easy job, just do it carefully. Clear side markers can be purchased or found in a junkyard on a lot of later 9-3's.

If it does not have the PCV #6 kit, install it ASAP.

Before you worry about the hesitation, do some basic stuff: replace all the small vacuum lines; replace air filter; clean MAF; replace plugs. Run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through. Test and see if it improves. If not, swap the DIC from your 9-5 (or use the spare DIC I know you own) and see if that fixes it. If you still have problems, then you can start to dig a little deeper.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the PS line is leaking from under the bumper, you just need to replace the line. It's an elongated job because the bumper has to come off, but it's not hard. Once you know how to take the bumper off, you can have it off in about 20 minutes. You then move the intercooler out of the way, the oil cooler, and replace the line. Medium level DIY. Last I checked, the line was about $135.

Sometimes it's the line that goes to the rack, that one is a PITA to get out, but someone posted a trick to do it easily. Google here for "power steering line" or "PS line" and you should find it.

Google here for "clear corners" and my user name (as key words) for instructions on the corner lights. I think I spent 30 minutes the first time I did one of them. Now I can do them in about 10 minutes. Easy job, just do it carefully. Clear side markers can be purchased or found in a junkyard on a lot of later 9-3's.

If it does not have the PCV #6 kit, install it ASAP.

Before you worry about the hesitation, do some basic stuff: replace all the small vacuum lines; replace air filter; clean MAF; replace plugs. Run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through. Test and see if it improves. If not, swap the DIC from your 9-5 (or use the spare DIC I know you own) and see if that fixes it. If you still have problems, then you can start to dig a little deeper.
Thanks for the advice on the PS Line. Not sure where it's looking from. It leaks pretty quick after about a half hour of driving. I can't tell where it's coming from, but I'm thinking it's toward the top. That's where all the spray is mainly located; right around the brake fluid reservoir. Not sure if I am up for replacement myself, but maybe if I have a look around here on this forum I can find a good write up.

I definitely plan to replace all the minor things in the engine bay regarding engine performance. It looks to have a K&N filter in the box and the Saab Sport exhaust (with a leak of course). Under the hood looks to be not bad. The hydraulic lifts are out of gas so the hood doesn't stay up. I'll have to get those replaced. The SID needs fixing and there seems to be something funky with the battery/electrical system. While the battery isn't technically dead when I leave it parked for more than a day, it starts slow and when it powers on, the ACC goes through it's calibration and whatnot. After driving it around yesterday, I found the engine hesitation gets better after driving it for over 15 minutes. When I first start it, it will be pretty bad. But after driving for a while it gets better. If I turn off the car and let it sit for 5 minutes, then go back out and drive it again, it goes right back to having hesitation issues. It's like something gets reset.

Right now it's sitting in the garage and I'll be driving the 9-5 until I can at least get the PS leak fixed. I can live with the hesitation, but not with the leaking. Considering calling Fox Saab on Monday to get it in and checked out/fixed. I know the guys there and they're all pretty nice. I hope to have it in real good driving condition by August. I think that's a good goal!

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
If the PS is leaking over on the driver side near the brake master, it's likely the line that goes from the connector under the battery to the rack. That's less usual but not unheard of.

Saabs run poorly with a low battery. You might want to try replacing that and see how it does. The "runs better after 15 mins" could be that the battery gets charged up. Either way, if you know it's bad, replace it before you go to the garage and see how it does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts