SaabCentral Forums banner

What did you do to your Saab today?

228663 2611
I fixed my blower motor and finally have a/c for this hot summer, fixed the passanger seatbelt warning light. Finally stays off when there is no passanger in the car, I got annoyed of plugging the seatbelt in when no one else is in the car.
2541 - 2560 of 2612 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Will you be clear coating them? If so, is there a clear coat that will take the heat? I polished some bike parts and without some kind of protection, the aluminum will start to dull again pretty quickly. I suppose you could just give them a once over with aluminum polish every couple of months?

They look really great!
I’m going to look but if I have to occasionally do a front partial tare down to buff them up that’s not the end of the world.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Upper intake manifold nearly finished to match with the valve covers. Metal polish and buffing tomorrow.

Starting point:
Gas Composite material Auto part Metal Automotive exterior

Drying from final wet sand:
Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Metal Audio equipment

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Depending on your climate all that aluminum will likely be back to looking like the before pictures well within a year if you don't use something to protect it

·
Registered
320 Posts
Lets see, I took a good cruise control speed adjusting wheel off a broken turn indicator stalk and switched it with my gummed up one. I replaced both front headlight units with one brand new one and one that looked brand new from the wrecking yard. Huge difference in overall front end look. Tech 2 let me know both bulbs for the rear license plate illumination were out, so kicked myself for not picking up several bulbs from the yard instead of paying $8 for a pair. Replaced my front side marker light fixtures with like new units from the yard, unfortunately the bulbs were shot, so replaced those too.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Depending on your climate all that aluminum will likely be back to looking like the before pictures well within a year if you don't use something to protect it
They are going to have a coat of high temp VHT clear coat applied to seal them up tomorrow. Finished the metal polishing tonight and touched up the valve covers to prep for tomorrow.

White Font Gas Auto part Metal

·
Registered
693 Posts
Mad respect to those that paint for a living. First time I’ve ever tried to spray paint anything so I’m definitely going to have to go back over this and wet sand with 3000 grit again or higher to get the clear layer smooth. Hoping the valve covers come out a little better but for now it’ll all be sealed up from oxidation.
Plant Vehicle Car Tree Tire

Blue Rectangle Composite material Gas Electric blue

Valve covers came out a little better but will also need a wet sand to get it back to looking like the mirror finish it was before applying the clear coat.
White Blue Product Azure Rectangle

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What kind of clear are you using?

One issue is a mirror finish on metal won’t have enough “tooth” for the paint to stick and it’ll be difficult to get a smooth finish without piling on coats and sanding each coat. Multiple coats then become problematic since the aluminum will expand and contract very slightly with heat cycles and the finish will probably crack.

Mohawk is a company that makes a clear lacquer for brass (I’ve used it on brass door plates and door knockers) but I don’t think it’ll stand up to 200+ degree under hood temps.

Instead of polishing it to a mirror finish, you may have to scuff it with 1000 (800? 1200?) and then try to seal that finish with lacquer.

·
Registered
693 Posts
What kind of clear are you using?

One issue is a mirror finish on metal won’t have enough “tooth” for the paint to stick and it’ll be difficult to get a smooth finish without piling on coats and sanding each coat. Multiple coats then become problematic since the aluminum will expand and contract very slightly with heat cycles and the finish will probably crack.

Mohawk is a company that makes a clear lacquer for brass (I’ve used it on brass door plates and door knockers) but I don’t think it’ll stand up to 200+ degree under hood temps.

Instead of polishing it to a mirror finish, you may have to scuff it with 1000 (800? 1200?) and then try to seal that finish with lacquer.
I used VHT high temp clear (good for 550 degrees F).

·
Registered
731 Posts
Waiting on a new piece of glass for the driver's side mirror. Got in the car after work the other night, shut the door and the old glass just fell out and smashed. On closer examination it appears to be one of those cheap glass only replacements stuck onto the existing mirror. I've gone for genuine Saab from Orio as the difference in price with non-genuine wasn't too bad. Looking at the passenger side that appears to be a stuck on replacement too.

My car has the auto dimming interior mirror and I did wonder if the original exterior mirrors might also have been auto dimming and gone dark at some point necessitating the stuck on replacements. The auto dimming ones are very spendy!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Cleaned her up and stored for the season due to work. Got a State of 9 cover for her while I’m gone. Would have preferred to see the whole inside covered in soft felt for what was paid but it’s better than nothing.
Has 3 sets of clips with nylon buckles and webbing to tighten it down against the wind. Also has a provision for a wire cable lock that comes with it.
Plant Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sky

Also did a quick mock up following the clear coat on the polished manifold. Ran out of time and will have to wet sand the clear back to a smooth finish when I’m back.
Automotive tire Bumper Trunk Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
909 Posts
Decided to investigate the washer fluid leak I've had for a while in the 2006. Determined my bodge plugging the headlight washer pump isn't holding, and bought a replacement tank that only has the cut out for the windscreen pump for 30€ on eBay. Needs fixed before the weather gets too cold as I'd just been dumping water into the tank since every time I fill it 90% leaks out after a week.

Meanwhile, I was looking at the state of the intercooler and the condenser and thought that you all might enjoy the result of many years of driving 200+ for hours on end across the country. Looks bad, but they're both still doing their jobs!
Wheel Tire Grille Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
320 Posts
no worries, just be sure to add some flex additive to the paint!
Ohh, sore subject. We had our front bumper repainted by a so called professional. He didn't use flex additive and slowly the bumper has been getting more and more spider webs in the stress points. We don't have any recourse as it's been over three years and we didn't notice right away.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ohh, sore subject. We had our front bumper repainted by a so called professional. He didn't use flex additive and slowly the bumper has been getting more and more spider webs in the stress points. We don't have any recourse as it's been over three years and we didn't notice right away.
That sucks, unfortunately lots of bad apples out there. I’m at the point where I have very little faith in having any “professional” do anything so I usually read up and give it a shot on my own, though paint work is tough without knowledge & experience as well as the correct equipment.

2541 - 2560 of 2612 Posts