SaabCentral Forums banner

2101 - 2104 of 2104 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Grace got some tidying up today. 2 coats of 303 on the soft top, some tire gloss, and compound on the lower back bumper shield to remove road and exhaust film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Got sick and tired of all the faded trim. With different types of plastics, I've not found a single solution to keep everything dark. While SEM paints are highly regarded, I went with Duplicolor as it is much more accessible locally and still performs well when correctly applied. I used the trim paint and also the adhesion promoter, as plastics have. I cleaned, sanded, re-cleaned the trim pieces, sprayed with a few coats of adhesion promoter, then 4 coats of paint. We'll see how long this lasts...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Along with the previously-mentioned exterior trim, I also got tired of the faded rear deck. The beige was looking sickly white. So I went black. Probably won't go back, either.

Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and black Trim Paint for the plastic pieces (which I removed), and Duplicolor Fabric/Carpet paint for the cloth part. Used a whole can of the fabric paint and many coats, it does not go very far.

But now it matches the dash and has cut down on a bit of the glare/reflection on the rear glass.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Checking in. 2019 felt more like a "year of the Z" for me, but the Saab has been a steady driver in the meantime.

Brief recap:

1. The stock shift knob broke in grand fashion - I popped it out of reverse one too many times and the shift knob flew between my passenger and me into the back seat. Ended up replacing that and the shifter with a BPS short shifter kit: so much better.

IMG_20190612_210257_389.jpg

IMG_20190819_191139_913.jpg

2. We finally topped off the low ac refrigerant and got the windows tinted. Cold air conditioning and 25% tint helped to keep that black interior cool this summer.

IMG_20190704_100504134_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190820_123912525_HDR.jpg

3. Drove the Saab on a popular local fun route and got to take it across the lake on the ferry. Pretty neat thing to do.

IMG_20190519_130611388_HDR.jpg

4. I tried out a small paint correction test spot on the corner of the hood. The paint on this car has a ton of scratches in the finish, particularly the horizontal surfaces - likely the previous owner frequently took it through the auto whip wash. I was able to clean that part up nicely, but couldn't get through the deeper scratches in the middle of the hood with my DA polisher and a fairly aggressive pad/compound combo. I may use this as an excuse to purchase a rotary buffer. ;)

IMG_20190826_185056956.jpg

IMG_20190826_184933896.jpg

5. We took a trip to Springfield for an extended Labor Day weekend and ended up parking next to a really clean SE convertible with Viggen bumper and "double Y" wheels at a lunch stop one day. There was also a dark blue NG9-5 for sale around the corner. Gotta love all the Saabs in Springfield. :D

IMG_20190829_143531717_HDR.jpg

And what's a Saab without a few quirks?

1. It ran out of gas one day on my way out of work last month. Gas gauge said 1/4 tank was left. Apparently not. So I foresee a new fuel pump & level sender in this Saab's future. For now, I'm filling it up when it reads a half tank left.

2. The engine developed a light but annoying misfire in upper RPMs. Not as definite as I've experienced before, so I opted to replace the spark plugs before committing to new ignition coils. The previous unknown mile platinum plugs were toast and I found oil residue where someone had previously spilled a bit of oil onto the coil cover. So that was cleaned up and fresh NGK coppers were gapped & installed. This helped a lot.

3. The car developed an odd stumble from stops that occasionally worsened on steep inclines. Acceleration from a stop was like it had gone into limp mode: sluggish and annoying. I suspected a disparity between the TPS and throttle actuator, but the Tech 2 never found anything. So I opted to check and clean the H42-2 connector under the battery and see if that helped. So far, it has helped. I've also noticed an improvement in low end throttle & boost pressure levels since then.

2101 - 2104 of 2104 Posts