SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 60 of 5037 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Put on the PCV #6 update. Was pretty easy except for the insulation wrap...I could only get 1 of the zip ties on there, but as tight as it all is in there, I seriously doubt it's that big of a deal; it isn't going anywhere!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
took the wife and kid for a nice cruise i the 9-5.
just finished buttoning up my 89 c900. i had to replace all the alternatior bushings and mounting pivot bolt, which for some reason took an extremely long time to arrive from eeuroparts. i figured i would replace all the belts while i was in there (4 of them !). put in a new MANN air filter , installed the new oil pressure sending unit for the forthcoming guage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I rotated my tires myself (the tread was too low on the front tires so no place I took my car would rotate them for me).

After that I finally got fed up with my neutral safety switch keeping my '00 9-5 from starting intermittently, so I spent a while searching the forums for a method to bypass it and add in a push button start. I would have replaced the neutral safety switch, but alas, I am a broke college student. I finally found a method that was written for the 9-3 but everything was essentially the same, the only difference was the locations of some screws to remove the underside of the dash. I can now start my car with a momentary switch or the key (it still requires the key to be turned to on to start with the button). I didn't take pictures along the way but if someone would like to see how I did this, I'd be more than happy to go back in, take some pictures, and write up how to do this for the 9-5.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Started the car after a wash and vacuum yesterday, heard a rattling sound under the car when I checked; it was the heat shield around the exhaust. The shield snapped off of all the bolts on the driver’s side spent about an hour reattaching the shield with some homemade washers; everything is all good now.
GODDA LUV THESE CARS!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
originally started my to do ist with replacement of the idler pulley / tensioner pulley and serp belt. pulley swap was easy (i have the short belt setup), but when i went to install the new contitech belt fromm eeuroparts... it was fighting me bigtime. i checked and double checked the routing and made sure it was in the grooves.. but it still woudlnt slip over either the idler or the tensioner pulleys. after about 20 min more of grunting and cursing, i submitted to the fact that this friggin belt is a few mils too short. so i had to put back the old one. i will have to swing by the saab dealer and spring for a genuine. just pisses me off to waste time.
i replaced the two intercooler hoses which were nice and spongy after 10 years with all clamps. replaced soime other scattered corroded clamps throughout the engine bay. good thing is i was getting a horrible squeek / screetch when the motor was running , and the pulley replacement seemed to have taken care of it. runs nice quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
installed the center pulley and long serp belt today. almost had a disaster as i was trying to fit the center pulley bolt and it fell down into the subframe.. never to be seen again. found another bolt that fit in my ever handy -odds and ends bin. i never throw away old bolts / nuts / screws of any type and this collection has saved my *** more than i can remember. car runs smooth as glass now. i had spoke to my local saab delaer parts guy and he said that saab has sent an advisory to all its service people to go back to the the long belt / center pulley setup when changing serp belts. just FYI

·
Registered
497 Posts
I drove her to Canada, and we got 32.7 mpg all the way. Now, for muffler repair...
That's fantastic mpg!
I can't get over 26 on the highway with our '02 2.3t wagon.
Can you give details on driving habits (avg. mph, turbo engagement), gas, tires etc....
Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Replaced the cabin filter, it was the worst I've seen it and it was only in there a year, leaf magnet. Thinking of putting a thin mesh over the vents, anyone try this?

·
Registered
448 Posts
replaced the anti torque mount on my v6 with a new arm and gs poly bushing. man what a difference from pretty much not having one. the old one had the bottom torn off by the previous owner. man is this thing torquey now!!!

New headlights later today

·
Registered
476 Posts
Who are you getting it from? new or used? on your 4 or 6cyl?

I'm buying it off someone else's car, as a temp. I'm planning on rebuilding mine and putting it back in afterwards. It's a used one from another 9-5 V6. Seeing that only rebuilds and swaps work with the V6 engines.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I asked because there're a few guys on craigslist in the NY area parting out some 95's.
I'm buying it off someone else's car, as a temp. I'm planning on rebuilding mine and putting it back in afterwards. It's a used one from another 9-5 V6. Seeing that only rebuilds and swaps work with the V6 engines.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I asked because there're a few guys on craigslist in the NY area parting out some 95's.

Yea I'm one of them, but I listed pictures of everything I have left. It's the one with the grey bumper on it. Unfortunately I sold my spare turbo and then my turbo failed on me.

41 - 60 of 5037 Posts