SaabCentral Forums banner
5441 - 5460 of 5481 Posts

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
152 Posts
Took the opportunity to remove the drivers side headlight since there was some moisture on the inside of the lens. And was surprised about the amount of dust/dirt which had gathered there...the before/after effect was visible, even to me.:cool:
Am going to repeat this with the other headlight next time.

· Registered
739 Posts
Got my folding mirrors working again thanks to this excellent thread

· Registered
82 Posts
I'm expecting that particular pleasure when my order from Hem | Saab3dPrint arrives in the country. The joys of Brexit.
My parts have left customs and are out for delivery today, finally. But, it will be dark long before everything arrives :(. Definitely the longest I've had stuff in customs (1w). Usually, theyre released next day... Must also contribute this to the holiday shopping having a large influx of packages shipping between countries.

· Registered
11,570 Posts
My parts have left customs and are out for delivery today, finally. But, it will be dark long before everything arrives :(. Definitely the longest I've had stuff in customs (1w). Usually, theyre released next day... Must also contribute this to the holiday shopping having a large influx of packages shipping between countries.
Well, that's funny. I ordered 9-5 pads and rotors from RockAuto on Saturday morning, and Monday after lunch they were dropped off at the side of my house (where water was dripping from the melting snow on the roof, of course).

Note, that came from the US, and crossed the border, over the weekend, but still was delivered in 48 hours!

The downside is that I thought I ordered OEM-type semi-metallic front pads, but got ceramic ones. Simplest thing was to put in another order, taking screenshots of exactly what I was ordering. We will see what comes. It could me my mistake, but when there are a zillion brake pads, with multiples by each vendor, the order confirmation and shipping documents don't really tell you which exact pad you ordered.

· Registered
82 Posts
Well, that's funny. I ordered 9-5 pads and rotors from RockAuto on Saturday morning, and Monday after lunch they were dropped off at the side of my house (where water was dripping from the melting snow on the roof, of course).
My parts are coming from Europe to the US, so they must have went to a major shipping port and got held there.

As for RockAuto,you should be able to view your order via your email. (if gmail just search for RockAuto order, and find the first one for order confirmation). It will give you exact item# you ordered, which you can cross-verify against the listing. RA does have very good returns/warranty policies though.

Must ask, why not run the ceramics? They usually don't produce as much dust as metallic ones.

· Registered
11,570 Posts
My parts are coming from Europe to the US, so they must have went to a major shipping port and got held there.

As for RockAuto,you should be able to view your order via your email. (if gmail just search for RockAuto order, and find the first one for order confirmation). It will give you exact item# you ordered, which you can cross-verify against the listing. RA does have very good returns/warranty policies though.
Well, I am waiting for the "correct" pads to show up. Then I will decide what to do with the ceramics. As the fit all 9-5s and probably OG9-3, simplest thing is probably just to sell them here.

Must ask, why not run the ceramics? They usually don't produce as much dust as metallic ones.
I prefer the action of the semi-metallics. Also, the semi-s have proper E1 and 90R certification.

I agree about dusting, my "summer" alloys are still sitting outside waiting to have all the black cleaned off. Once a year about does it for me.

Attachments

· Registered
548 Posts
Friday, I bought a 2003 9-5 Linear from a local thrift store's car lot. Today I put on new windshield wipers (just in time for rain) and new hood struts (because I was tired of propping the hood up on the top of my head).

Next will be taking off the cam cover and oil pan to clean out sludge. In the unlikely event that they're clean, then I have to look for for an oil pressure sensor cable that is short-circuiting only when I turn hard left on closed throttle at only walking speed. ;) You get the idea....

Scott

· Registered
548 Posts
Today's little fix was replacing the little battery in the key. I just love that the Swedish engineers designed the key to open with something in every home, a corkscrew. (y) So practical, and it works so effortlessly.

Scott

· Registered
11,570 Posts

So I got the correct pads yesterday. Semi-metallic, E1 and 90R certification, made in Romania. Ceramic pads carry nothing but a part number, made in India. The metal backing plate on the Indian pads is obviously less finished than the one used on the Romanian pads. Will that make a difference? I dunno. But overall, the Romanian pads are most likely higher quality, and definitely closer to Saab OEM spec.

Here's some information on the "90R" certification: ECE Regulation 90 - Wikipedia . That and the E1 (Germany) means the pads have been certified to work well. I would at least look for that certification on any brake pads I'd be buying for Saabs. While RockAuto doesn't talk about it in their details, you can see the certifications (or not) in their pictures of the pads. It's all on the back side.

· Registered
82 Posts
So I got the correct pads yesterday. Semi-metallic, E1 and 90R certification, made in Romania. Ceramic pads carry nothing but a part number, made in India. The metal backing plate on the Indian pads is obviously less finished than the one used on the Romanian pads. Will that make a difference? I dunno. But overall, the Romanian pads are most likely higher quality, and definitely closer to Saab OEM spec
Here's some information on the "90R" certification: ECE Regulation 90 - Wikipedia . That and the E1 (Germany) means the pads have been certified to work well. I would at least look for that certification on any brake pads I'd be buying for Saabs. While RockAuto doesn't talk about it in their details, you can see the certifications (or not) in their pictures of the pads. It's all on the back side.
Great info here, definitely worth riding with the certified pads over non cert.

5441 - 5460 of 5481 Posts