SaabCentral Forums banner

what did you do to your car today?

540448 5480
there is a thread like this on the volvo forum i have been on for a couple of years now. it seems so many of us tinker in some fashion on a day to day basis. Without starting a completely new thread, its a great place to share with other members your experience of what job you may have tackled that particular day , thus generating many different discussions. anyhow, i hope it catches on...;ol;
5421 - 5440 of 5481 Posts

· Registered
14,901 Posts
Airbag light should be lit at start and then go out after few secs (self test).
I can manipulate airbag light to act like this.

· Registered
83 Posts
Coolant was gold in color. Manual says to use Saab approved coolant. Nobody seems to know what that my other car is a Chrysler 300. In it I use Zerex G05

Kept it simple and used the same in the Saab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought I would update: stated that coolant was gold color. Transferred old coolant to gallon jugs for disposal. Coolant was actually orange. Was probably Dexcool. Since a flush was done , it should be ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
83 Posts
Changed the valve cover gasket. Was getting some oil on the side of the engine towards the front and underneath forward of the oil pan and under the DIC.

Didn’t look to bad as far as sludge. Used the Victor Reinz gasket.

While I had it open I also changed the spark plugs(actually this was the first thought, the gasket was an also)

Removed PFR6H-10 and installed BCPR7ES-11.
Several threads we’re saying that the Copper plugs were as good or better performers than the Platinum. I know will need to be changed more often. This will also allow me the check the oil leak situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
82 Posts
So slight lie - didn’t do this all just today, also have no pictures yet… but here’s some fun goodness I’ve been up to!

Recently installed a 3in DP, larger fuel pump, intake and got a tune. All the goodness. Also just got a +/- boost/vacuum gauge hooked in. Going to be installing a wideband and oil press gauge soon as well. Interior of my car is slowly being restored. Exterior is also being restored to what I can get it to be. Aiming for a oem+ style build.
Need to take some pics soon...
Oil pressu gauge has been added in. Just waiting on Wideband to get delivered (if it ever does...)
Also, somehow, fixed a random CEL I had by installing oil pressu gauge. Must have had a loose vac line or maybe connector and in moving everything around to route the gauge wiring I fixed it...For now, anyways. Will have to check it, if it returns...
Also, in the midst of a speaker-upgrade on the ole girl. Front speakers were blown horridly, got them swapped, and now rear speakers are clipping like an F1 car on an apex.
Also, trying to source some parts to get the next stage tune. My buddy has a 10GTI stg1, we got a little rowdy and I'm shocked how well this old thing kept up with it. Thought he was going to leave me in the dust... Considering I have only spent maybe 2.3k on the car+mods+repairs, I'm very happy with the outcome.

· Registered
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero
34 Posts
Changed the camshaft position sensor (got the Bosch one like members here recommended).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

This fix went well but alternator went kaput right after :(. I was stuck in a town about 50 miles from home so couldn't do it myself (had the Bosch alternator put in, fingers crossed now).

· Registered
739 Posts
Nice simple job I thought. Upgrading the main and dipped beam H7s. Main beam was easy, wiggle wiggle and out it came. Dipped beam with the little spring AARRGGHH!! The connector is stuck solid onto the prongs of the existing bulb. And because of the spring I can't remove the bulb with the connector still attached :mad:

Any tips before I set fire to the car?

· Registered
82 Posts
It gets better. The bulb is now out and connector is off. But the retaining spring has managed to detach itself and sprung somewhere never to be seen again :mad: :mad: :mad:
If it’s not on the ground (ie you think it’s still in the engine Bay Area) what I do is use my phones camera from underneath to check all the subframe and frame rails and what not. They have tons of groves that love to hold my fallen nuts/bolts/washers/tools/phone/life/first born child/my thanksgiving dinner/my Christmas gifts. (Slight exaggeration on this)

· Registered
739 Posts
(Slight exaggeration on this)
No exaggeration. My self esteem is down there somewhere.

Checked the floor (wouldn't that have been wonderful?) but there's a beauty of a gap/void/black hole right next to the headlight and I think it leads to an alternate reality where Saab never went bust and everyone hates German cars.

It's somewhere in the air filter housing area I think but pulled the undertray aside a little and couldn't see it. Off to the breakers tomorrow... :(

· Registered
11,570 Posts
Put on the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 in preparation for the first flurries (which won't be the last). Greased the lug bolts as per Saab and torqued them down. Adjusted speedometer to rolling circumference of 205/60-16 tires (1987 mm or so). Swapped nice Saab OEM fabric floor mats for less sightly but more effective Saab OEM rubber floor mats.

Still to do for winterizing:go over door seals with glycerin, as suggested by Saab somewhere or another.

5421 - 5440 of 5481 Posts