SaabCentral Forums banner

what did you do to your car today?

540450 5480
there is a thread like this on the volvo forum i have been on for a couple of years now. it seems so many of us tinker in some fashion on a day to day basis. Without starting a completely new thread, its a great place to share with other members your experience of what job you may have tackled that particular day , thus generating many different discussions. anyhow, i hope it catches on...;ol;
5401 - 5420 of 5481 Posts

· Registered
11,570 Posts
I guess I will look at the shield's adhesive anon.

However, I discovered that the passenger door speaker was also buzzing a bit. On the weather band, the person talking is always a guy (are there no female meteorologists?) and the higher frequency cutoff is pretty severe, like on an antique telephone line. So if there is any buzz, it's in the speaker, not in the source material.

What I did discover is that the speakers can be swapped without actually removing the door card. Undo the three screws, the plastic pop fastener on the bottom, and pull it away from the bottom. (You might probably first remove the upper trim around the window.

You can get at the speaker just fine, albeit at the cost of your dignity as you lie on your back in the driveway peering upwards between the door and flopping door card.

No more buzzing, though. Yay!

· Registered
49 Posts
I haven't been able to reprogram the memory seats in my 9-5 since I bought it this spring. I finally decided to take a look at the 1-2-3-M switch on the side of the seat. I took it it out, popped it open and it was obvious that there was a broken trace on the PCB leading to the M button. I soldered I little jumper wire to fix the M button and now I can program my memory seats again!

I'm the only person who drives this car regularly, so I don't actually care about the memory working except that sometimes I would accidentally press one of the buttons and it would totally mess up my seat and mirror configuration, lol.

Now that I've done the important stuff it's time to fix that coolant leak....

· Registered
739 Posts
I'm the only person who drives this car regularly, so I don't actually care about the memory working except that sometimes I would accidentally press one of the buttons and it would totally mess up my seat and mirror configuration, lol.
And the sense of satisfaction that you got something working, whether you use it or not. I'm the only one that drives my cars but I would have to fix that! Regarding memory seats and mirrors, if you don't have the kerb dip in reverse I always set one of the buttons to leave the seat alone but dip the mirrors. Just a button press when maneuvering.

· Registered
209 Posts
And the sense of satisfaction that you got something working, whether you use it or not. I'm the only one that drives my cars but I would have to fix that! Regarding memory seats and mirrors, if you don't have the kerb dip in reverse I always set one of the buttons to leave the seat alone but dip the mirrors. Just a button press when maneuvering.
Yup, I'm the same way. The little things drive me nuts, even if it's a feature I never use.

· Registered
49 Posts
That's brilliant! I have the curb dip button for the mirror, but it doesn't seem to work (at least not consistently).

I can save memory mode 3 for my wife. She is intimidated by a manual transmission (although knows how to drive it), and I'm on a constant campaign to convince her that she would really like a fast car. I think the aero might give her the need for speed, haha

· Registered
11,570 Posts
That's brilliant! I have the curb dip button for the mirror, but it doesn't seem to work (at least not consistently).
If you throw a Tech II on it, you will probably get some codes from the PMM about open/short circuit in either the motors or the potentiometers. When the PMM has errors, it can decline to dip the mirror, presumably for fear that it won't be able to restore it.

Sometimes moving the mirrors around a whole lot cleans things up.

The faults seem to affect the RH mirror more than the LH one. So people in the UK may be able to use their dip more reliably.

· Registered
82 Posts
So slight lie - didn’t do this all just today, also have no pictures yet… but here’s some fun goodness I’ve been up to!

Recently installed a 3in DP, larger fuel pump, intake and got a tune. All the goodness. Also just got a +/- boost/vacuum gauge hooked in. Going to be installing a wideband and oil press gauge soon as well. Interior of my car is slowly being restored. Exterior is also being restored to what I can get it to be. Aiming for a oem+ style build.

· Registered
83 Posts
Flushed the cooling system and look for a leak.

Have had to add about a pint a week since early spring. Thought I’d be doing a radiator change by summer. Never did get any worse. Thought it may be a hose. After looking under, I see liquid on the driver’s side. Cant be a hose because no hose is on that side.

Removed the battery to get a better view of radiator. Leak Looks to be on the drivers side about half way up the tank. Looks like a radiator changeout is in my future.

I also wanted to remove the battery because when looking underneath, saw a hose or pipe from the unit in front of the radiator that goes up underneath the battery. Didn’t know why or what it was for.

As you see, also found acid that I needed to clean. Removed the battery tray and cleaned it.

Also removed the overflow tank to clean it as Koch as possible.

Look like it was due for a good cleaning.

The drain plug was a bear to get out. All the YouTube videos say it’s so easy to put pliers on an turn. I couldn’t get my hands or pliers. Best I could do was push with a finger of one hand and pull with a finger of the other.

This is after cleaning. Can’t get into that side compartment . Need to make a side adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
14,901 Posts
Not mine (I do not own 9-5s any more), but my friend's og 9-5:
He brought his Saab to me because Airbag light is ON permanently. Annual inspection is coming and airbag light ON, fail.
I read codes and both aide airbags were shorted (0.3-0.4 ohms).
I removed passenger seat and disconnect seat connector, still 0.3 ohms. This should be 12 ohms which is max reading of TECH2.
I removed center console and disconnect airbag module connector. I checked side airbag wires, shorted.
I replaced wires between airbag module and seat connectors, still 0.3 ohms.
I dismantle passenger seat back leather... WTF, NO AIRBAG at all and some IDIOT connect wires together.
So after 4 hours, airbag issue solved with new wires and new side airbags.
HUOH!

I opened beer and enjoyed it.

· Registered
209 Posts
I had a BMW once that someone had removed the passenger side airbag on. I don't know why the hell they would have done that, but the airbag light was an easy fix that time!

· Registered
83 Posts
Flushed the cooling system and look for a leak.

Have had to add about a pint a week since early spring. Thought I’d be doing a radiator change by summer. Never did get any worse. Thought it may be a hose. After looking under, I see liquid on the driver’s side. Cant be a hose because no hose is on that side.

Removed the battery to get a better view of radiator. Leak Looks to be on the drivers side about half way up the tank. Looks like a radiator changeout is in my future.

I also wanted to remove the battery because when looking underneath, saw a hose or pipe from the unit in front of the radiator that goes up underneath the battery. Didn’t know why or what it was for.

As you see, also found acid that I needed to clean. Removed the battery tray and cleaned it.

Also removed the overflow tank to clean it as Koch as possible.

Look like it was due for a good cleaning.

The drain plug was a bear to get out. All the YouTube videos say it’s so easy to put pliers on an turn. I couldn’t get my hands or pliers. Best I could do was push with a finger of one hand and pull with a finger of the other.

This is after cleaning. Can’t get into that side compartment . Need to make a side adapter.

Coolant was gold in color. Manual says to use Saab approved coolant. Nobody seems to know what that my other car is a Chrysler 300. In it I use Zerex G05

Kept it simple and used the same in the Saab.

· Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, I believe the G05 is rated for these cars, so might as well use the same coolant.

· Registered
14,901 Posts
I had a BMW once that someone had removed the passenger side airbag on. I don't know why the hell they would have done that, but the airbag light was an easy fix that time!
You can manipulate airbag light, but I do not do this unless owner insists and sign disclaimer form to me (and copy to car).
Remember that I am proud member of airbag fan club.

· Registered
209 Posts
You can manipulate airbag light, but I do not do this unless owner insists and sign disclaimer form to me (and copy to car).
Remember that I am proud member of airbag fan club.
Yup, I prefer to leave them installed. I reinstalled it in that car.

5401 - 5420 of 5481 Posts