SaabCentral Forums banner

5181 - 5200 of 5236 Posts

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
My xwd is now in my friends shop. He will clean, polish and ceramic coat it. Next weekend (thu to mon) is time for Griffin.
After that all my Saab have ceramic coating.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
My xwd is now in my friends shop. He will clean, polish and ceramic coat it. Next weekend (thu to mon) is time for Griffin.
After that all my Saab have ceramic coating.
The product I had applied is according to my detailer:"Ceramic Pro is a nano layer of silicon and titanium dioxide which is harder and slicker than your clear coat paint. You don't need to wax your car again and it is warranted against tree sap and bird droppings etching your paint as well as no oxidizing." For my Ontario friends on here, Al Norrie is his name and he is located near Oshawa Ontario. Very reasonable prices. He coated the car paint, the car glass and the wheels with different products for each from ceramic pro

·
Registered
386 Posts
We blew a hose. It is the one between the transmission side of the engine and the heater control valve. The thing is, is that hose is fairly new. It still has the Gates sticker on it. I replaced it when I replaced the heater control valve about two years ago.

It failed at the clamp (see pictures) and I'm pretty sure that the clamp is what caused the problem. Up until this point I have been routinely replacing the stock spring clamps with spiral band clamps (worm gear clamp, jubilee clamp) because they tend to be easier to work with in tight spaces.

While I stood there with the hood open and wafts of steam circling my head, I did some research on my smartphone. There are all kinds of complaints about these types of clamps: They cut the hose because they are made of thin metal with a fairly sharp edge. They loosen. They fail at the joint between the gear and band and come loose. They do not maintain constant tension when the hose expands and contracts with temperature as a spring clamp does.

In any case, when the engine cooled enough, I cut the end of the hose off, shoved it back on the nipple and tightened the clamp being careful not to over-tighten like I apparently did the last time.

I'm going to go through my drawers and boxes of left over parts and see how many discarded spring clamps I can round up. I'm also going to check the suppliers to find out who sells them. I bet eEuroparts does. They seem to sell every other part. I'll then begin routinely replacing spiral band clamps with spring clamps.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Aero Sedan
51 Posts
Finally got my ABS Module issues resolved with a junkyard part and my Tech2 Clone. Initially, I thought it didn't take because when I ran diagnostics again on my Tech2, it said it wasn't programmed, but after unplugging the T2 and restarting the car, all the lights went away and stayed away even after a little drive.

I got lucky because the car I pulled the module from actually had a BBA Reman sticker on it, so I trusted it more than another one I found on a different car.

Just for posterity: the electronic part of the module with Part Number 0273004514 can be replaced by Part Number 0273004701 with no issues. Apparently the 514 number was 2002-03 and the 701 was 04-05, but as long as both cars are ESP, it appears to work fine.

I also decided I missed hearing cool turbo sounds so I switched to an open filter (fabricated a little 6" pipe and hung a Spectre filter off of it. And I think I already have a MAF code. SMH.

Reactions: Terpodion

·
Registered
386 Posts
My Linear made that distinctive turbo sound until I discovered that the compressor turbine was all messed up from sucking in a foreign object. I replaced it and it's quiet now. This stopped the persistent CEL and killed any appeal the sound may have had for me.

·
Registered
2004 9-5 Arc 2.3T B
4 Posts
Recently installed a new exhaust manifold gasket in chase of reason(s) my 04 9-5 Arc would have awful shuddering at stoplights. This was in lieu of my other repairs; a new fuel pump assembly and MAF replacement.
I also discovered i was in Limp mode. So i did a quick reset on it and with fingers crossed, that CEL light will be off for the first time in a year.
Also, honorable mention to the Brake Booster pump and the vacuum line assembly. These hoses and valves have become brittle and need replaced. They're currently being held together with electricians tape🙃. Brake booster pump is making weird noise. At 163k miles, i

·
Registered
386 Posts
CEL came on last night. I noticed a couple times when the engine ran a bit wonky too. I found that not one, but two check valves had broken at the fitting. One had been "temporarily" repaired by me some time ago. I simply re-did the repair - a piece of leather and rubber cement. The other was fixed with epoxy and rebar wire. Reset the ECM and approximately 65 miles later the CEL hasn't come back on. Gotta order a box full of check valves.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Aero Sedan
51 Posts
That is your car telling you not to mess with a good thing for the sake of noise.
Actually, it was my car telling me that I had forgotten to plug my MAF sensor back in. Doh! Plugged it in, cleared codes and haven't had a problem since.

Reactions: RichSPK

·
Registered
386 Posts
CEL came on last night. I noticed a couple times when the engine ran a bit wonky too. I found that not one, but two check valves had broken at the fitting. One had been "temporarily" repaired by me some time ago. I simply re-did the repair - a piece of leather and rubber cement. The other was fixed with epoxy and rebar wire. Reset the ECM and approximately 65 miles later the CEL hasn't come back on. Gotta order a box full of check valves.
Drove to Connecticut and back (from New Jersey) and The Mighty Thor (our '04 Arc wagon) performed flawlessly. No CEL.

·
Registered
'04 9-5 Aero Wgn, '01 9-5 Aero, '90 C900
19 Posts
Today was supposed to have been manual trans fluid flush day. However, couldn't get the fill plug out despite use of PB blaster, handheld impact and a bit of heat. So I ended up just quickly repainting the rusty battery tray.
Also swapped out the rusted out right rear brake backing plate, and changed the oil.
Still on the to-do list are front control arms, as well as replacing the front main seal and oil pump o-ring to slow down the Valdez-size oil leaks from the right front quarter.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
couldn't get the fill plug out despite use of PB blaster
Try to get in there with a mini torch and heat up the casting a bit, once it breaks free it will make a loud crack and you'll think you broke it.

I had a 12 inch long pipe on the end of a breaker bar on the last one I did.

·
Registered
'04 9-5 Aero Wgn, '01 9-5 Aero, '90 C900
19 Posts
I put some heat on it with a propane torch. Didnt realize it would take that much force to get it to pop. I didnt even bother with the level or drain plugs yet. I'll revisit it next weekend...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5181 - 5200 of 5236 Posts