SaabCentral Forums banner

5121 - 5139 of 5139 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Not just today, but a project started in early fall of last year
I refurbished a set of 9-3 Aero calipers and installed with custom brake lines, refinished the wheels after a moron at a local GM dealership made a mess of them while doing a poor job of an alignment. New tires following a recommendation from a forum member (Riken Raptors). I have only driven about 25 minutes with them on so far but compared to the worn rubber on my winter wheels, the difference in response and noise is night and day. They are well priced at TireRack as well but i missed the discount that was posted :(.

all in all, i am very happy!
6A95FC9D-684E-415B-B159-A5954DEECCF6.jpeg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Completed work started near the beginning of corona lockdown that included lots of rear suspension work to correct excessive negative camber and toe: rose bushes (4), giant bushing on rear, some rust, new shocks, spacers to restore ride height, alignment, install new-to-me draw-tite class II hitch, rear brake pads. Also new blower motor controller (old one worked but was super weak and would not blow full power), cabin filter, new plugs, new passenger side engine mount. Been a busy few months, and done as of today.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
New ceramic rear pads and E-coat Rotors from Max Advanced Brakes.
Beautifully smooth, progressive and predictable stopping power.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I replaced the alternator on my wife's car, the Mighty Thor (my cars are Freya, a Linear wagon and Loki an Aero sedan). I took the old alternator out last week. It was hellish. Putting the new one in was no better. I encountered the following difficulties:
The main wire from the battery has zero play. I put it on facing the wrong direction and had to take it off and put it on in the other direction.
It's the Devil's own work to get the thing to slide in to the mounting bracket. At one point I measured both the old and new one with a caliper and they were within a tenth of a millimeter of each other - so my theory that the case of the new one was slightly larger was disproved.
Rain. It's the first day of summer and the atmosphere could only be described as pregnant. A small but massive cumulonimbus cloud briefly pelted me with grape sized raindrops. I had to think; "What? No hail?"
Ants. A colony of ants went into reproduction mode, the males grew wings and swarmed me and the Mighty Thor, forming a cloud, going into my nose, eyes and ears. I fled. An hour or so later I returned to find hundreds of dead ants all over Thor and thousands of jettisoned wings all over everything. I blew them asunder with 120 psi of compressed air.
After fighting to get the belt on, it was too long. At the local parts store, I specifically asked for the "short belt" that avoids the center pulley. I put it on anyway.
Bad battery. It cranked it over the first couple of times pretty well - I only ran it in spurts to make sure the belt wasn't going to jump off and get the oil circulating - but the third time the battery crapped out despite having been on the charger all night.
More rain. This time it was a full blown, gully-washer thunderstorm. It soaked everything and just made working on and under the car miserable. The mosquitoes seemed to like it though.
Squeals. After I "borrowed" the battery out of my Linear wagon, it squealed while running. Loud too. All I can figure is one of the pulley bearings has failed - probably the center one that I wanted to bypass. I don't think it's the belt slipping. I took off the belt and center idler pulley. I took off the tensioner too. The tensioner bearings seem loose but not the idler. Go figure. Tomorrow is another day and I'll try to figure it out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I replaced the alternator on my wife's car, the Mighty Thor (my cars are Freya, a Linear wagon and Loki an Aero sedan). I took the old alternator out last week. It was hellish. Putting the new one in was no better. I encountered the following difficulties:
The main wire from the battery has zero play. I put it on facing the wrong direction and had to take it off and put it on in the other direction.
It's the Devil's own work to get the thing to slide in to the mounting bracket. At one point I measured both the old and new one with a caliper and they were within a tenth of a millimeter of each other - so my theory that the case of the new one was slightly larger was disproved.
Rain. It's the first day of summer and the atmosphere could only be described as pregnant. A small but massive cumulonimbus cloud briefly pelted me with grape sized raindrops. I had to think; "What? No hail?"
Ants. A colony of ants went into reproduction mode, the males grew wings and swarmed me and the Mighty Thor, forming a cloud, going into my nose, eyes and ears. I fled. An hour or so later I returned to find hundreds of dead ants all over Thor and thousands of jettisoned wings all over everything. I blew them asunder with 120 psi of compressed air.
After fighting to get the belt on, it was too long. At the local parts store, I specifically asked for the "short belt" that avoids the center pulley. I put it on anyway.
Bad battery. It cranked it over the first couple of times pretty well - I only ran it in spurts to make sure the belt wasn't going to jump off and get the oil circulating - but the third time the battery crapped out despite having been on the charger all night.
More rain. This time it was a full blown, gully-washer thunderstorm. It soaked everything and just made working on and under the car miserable. The mosquitoes seemed to like it though.
Squeals. After I "borrowed" the battery out of my Linear wagon, it squealed while running. Loud too. All I can figure is one of the pulley bearings has failed - probably the center one that I wanted to bypass. I don't think it's the belt slipping. I took off the belt and center idler pulley. I took off the tensioner too. The tensioner bearings seem loose but not the idler. Go figure. Tomorrow is another day and I'll try to figure it out.
What a story hahah!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Update: It turned out that the squeal was coming from the belt slipping on the alternator pulley. I had put the belt on wrong. It was indeed the "short belt" and I had simply routed it incorrectly. Granted, I was a bit distracted and rushed due to the fear of being struck by lightning, soaked to the skin (again) and / or swarmed and carried off by tens of thousands of deranged insects. My wife is now happily driving Thor in comfort - I charged up the AC as well.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
This starts back 1 week ago...
I work the evening shift (finish around midnight) and live 64 kms away in a small town (just for some context).
Finished work on Wed last week, walk out to our giant (400 car parking lot) and get into the Saabllennium Falcon.
Go to start it up, all systems "OK". Then... Crank, crank, crank, crank... No start. F&$*! This can't be happening. It was fine when I went for lunch 4.5 hours ago. Then my mind starts racing "God, don't be the fuel pump". I try starting it again but watch the Tach this time. DEAD. I think "$h!t, it can't be the CPS, I know it is, but please be anything but that, at least until I get home". Then I pop the hood and even though I know it's NOTHING to do with the DIC, I figure I'll try anything at this point. So I start swapping them (I always have a spare). Then it happens, the rest of the shift starts leaving and heads across the parking lot (I'm the IT guy here so EVERYONE knows me). And so it begins...

"Oh hey! Car trouble? What's wrong?" I reply, "Car won't start". "Ah, need a boost?" "Nah, it's not the battery". "Oh, I have cables! I can give you a boost" "Thanks, but that won't help since it's not the battery". "Oh, okay, well I have booster cables if you need a boost to get you going". I don't reply after that. Then a repeat of the same convo 6 times with different people until I finally get fed up and on the 7th person when they asked if I needed a boost after I said it's not the battery, they asked what else would make the car not start, so I indulged into the gloriousness of explaining the SAAB way to someone who doesn't know anything about cars. "Oh, a bunch of things could cause this to happen, the Direct Ignition Cassette, low fuel pressure at the rail, dying or dead fuel pump, bad spark plugs, but I know it's the Crank Position Sensor". They reply with "Oh, I see. You clearly know WAY more about this stuff than I do". Then the Shift Superintendent comes out and asks what's going on to which the other person immediately belts out "WHATEVER IT IS, IT'S NOT THE BATTERY!!!" The Super asked what I'm going to do and suggested I grab a motel, I said I'd walk home instead. They mentioned it'll be a long walk. I replied by closing the hood and saying "Then I better get started!".
The Super ended up giving me their truck to get home, so I ordered a new Bosch CPS, brought tools and ramps the next day to get the job done on the Friday (drove my wifes car on the Friday).

Well, that didn't happen. After trying during my lunch and breaks, I just couldn't get to the bolt from the top. So Saturday, came back out to my work with my wife and daughter and sure as hell, it's 35 Celsius and halfway there, the A/C in my wifes car dies. ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW???!!! Undeterred we press on, dripping worse and worse until we melt as we park beside my car which is still on the ramps. I realize, I'll have to drop the exhaust. No problem. 2 minute job. I can finally get to the bolt and apply pressure on the head to break it free until.... I realize it hasn't moved, the head stripped. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!

So we call a tow truck and get the car taken to a local shop near my work. I call them and leave a message of the usual, make model year of car and what I need done (they were closed by the time we got the car there). Follow up on the Monday and get great news! "My mechanic said you're very lucky you stopped when you did, there was just enough left on the head to use an air hammer to get it out. Car should be ready in 45 minutes, we just have to find a replacement bolt for you".

I'm thinking SWEET!!! Thank my lucky stars that this will finally be done.... But of course it's not. I call him on our way there (about 40 minutes) and he asks "Sooo, what would your plan have been if you weren't getting your car back today?" I'm like "What? What do you mean? That's not funny, what happened?" He replies "I'm just curious". So I tell him, I would have just taken my wifes car to work, but she's driving me to your shop, so I'll have no car.

Then it comes out "Oh, $h*t, ummmm, okay, well, just as we were torquing the replacement bolt to spec, the head snapped off of it and we're trying to weld other heads on to try and back the threads out". Just my luck... Anyway, they couldn't get it out because the head snapped off with some of the threads so it's already in the hole and not flush to the surface so there's no way to weld a head on there now.

So they tack welded the sensor and heat shield in place. The car is running tip top now and I now realize the signs the CPS was showing that it was dying. Slight hesitation at large load and higher boost, when just coasting along balancing the accelerator with the speed to keep the speed constant or just straight up coasting, there was a slight hesitation and ever so slight bucking here and there. I hope this CPS lasts the rest of my cars life, because I want ZERO part of this whole ordeal to be a repeat!

·
Registered
348 Posts
This starts back 1 week ago...
I work the evening shift (finish around midnight) and live 64 kms away in a small town (just for some context).
Finished work on Wed last week, walk out to our giant (400 car parking lot) and get into the Saabllennium Falcon.
Go to start it up, all systems "OK". Then... Crank, crank, crank, crank... No start. F&$*! This can't be happening. It was fine when I went for lunch 4.5 hours ago. Then my mind starts racing "God, don't be the fuel pump". I try starting it again but watch the Tach this time. DEAD. I think "$h!t, it can't be the CPS, I know it is, but please be anything but that, at least until I get home". Then I pop the hood and even though I know it's NOTHING to do with the DIC, I figure I'll try anything at this point. So I start swapping them (I always have a spare). Then it happens, the rest of the shift starts leaving and heads across the parking lot (I'm the IT guy here so EVERYONE knows me). And so it begins...

"Oh hey! Car trouble? What's wrong?" I reply, "Car won't start". "Ah, need a boost?" "Nah, it's not the battery". "Oh, I have cables! I can give you a boost" "Thanks, but that won't help since it's not the battery". "Oh, okay, well I have booster cables if you need a boost to get you going". I don't reply after that. Then a repeat of the same convo 6 times with different people until I finally get fed up and on the 7th person when they asked if I needed a boost after I said it's not the battery, they asked what else would make the car not start, so I indulged into the gloriousness of explaining the SAAB way to someone who doesn't know anything about cars. "Oh, a bunch of things could cause this to happen, the Direct Ignition Cassette, low fuel pressure at the rail, dying or dead fuel pump, bad spark plugs, but I know it's the Crank Position Sensor". They reply with "Oh, I see. You clearly know WAY more about this stuff than I do". Then the Shift Superintendent comes out and asks what's going on to which the other person immediately belts out "WHATEVER IT IS, IT'S NOT THE BATTERY!!!" The Super asked what I'm going to do and suggested I grab a motel, I said I'd walk home instead. They mentioned it'll be a long walk. I replied by closing the hood and saying "Then I better get started!".
The Super ended up giving me their truck to get home, so I ordered a new Bosch CPS, brought tools and ramps the next day to get the job done on the Friday (drove my wifes car on the Friday).

Well, that didn't happen. After trying during my lunch and breaks, I just couldn't get to the bolt from the top. So Saturday, came back out to my work with my wife and daughter and sure as hell, it's 35 Celsius and halfway there, the A/C in my wifes car dies. ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW???!!! Undeterred we press on, dripping worse and worse until we melt as we park beside my car which is still on the ramps. I realize, I'll have to drop the exhaust. No problem. 2 minute job. I can finally get to the bolt and apply pressure on the head to break it free until.... I realize it hasn't moved, the head stripped. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!

So we call a tow truck and get the car taken to a local shop near my work. I call them and leave a message of the usual, make model year of car and what I need done (they were closed by the time we got the car there). Follow up on the Monday and get great news! "My mechanic said you're very lucky you stopped when you did, there was just enough left on the head to use an air hammer to get it out. Car should be ready in 45 minutes, we just have to find a replacement bolt for you".

I'm thinking SWEET!!! Thank my lucky stars that this will finally be done.... But of course it's not. I call him on our way there (about 40 minutes) and he asks "Sooo, what would your plan have been if you weren't getting your car back today?" I'm like "What? What do you mean? That's not funny, what happened?" He replies "I'm just curious". So I tell him, I would have just taken my wifes car to work, but she's driving me to your shop, so I'll have no car.

Then it comes out "Oh, $h*t, ummmm, okay, well, just as we were torquing the replacement bolt to spec, the head snapped off of it and we're trying to weld other heads on to try and back the threads out". Just my luck... Anyway, they couldn't get it out because the head snapped off with some of the threads so it's already in the hole and not flush to the surface so there's no way to weld a head on there now.

So they tack welded the sensor and heat shield in place. The car is running tip top now and I now realize the signs the CPS was showing that it was dying. Slight hesitation at large load and higher boost, when just coasting along balancing the accelerator with the speed to keep the speed constant or just straight up coasting, there was a slight hesitation and ever so slight bucking here and there. I hope this CPS lasts the rest of my cars life, because I want ZERO part of this whole ordeal to be a repeat!
"we were torquing the replacement bolt to spec" Translation: "We were blasting it on with an impact wrench and no torque stick." 😁

·
Registered
348 Posts
The wife and kid have been complaining of the smell of gas. For those who have not been following the adventures of My Three Saabs, this is the car we call The Mighty Thor, an '04 9-5 Arc wagon. Black. I just replaced the alternator and you can find that episode in another thread. I digress. I sniffed around inside after the initial complaint and smelled no gasoline. I smelled other things, but no gas - she and the kid are not the neatest people on the planet. I'm the one who periodically cleans it because they never do and I don't want it to turn into a rolling swamp like the Hyundai she was driving when I met her.

The gas odor complaints continued. I test drove it. I checked the mpg. Normal, still no odor. I looked at the concrete driveway where it had been parked. Only small puddles of water from the AC. Last night they returned home from a jaunt to buy some very unhealthy fast food and I was informed that the smell was getting worse. Again I test drove it. All I could smell was the left over aroma of the raunchy food they had purchased. So, upon my return, I parked it on the concrete after wetting down the surface. I let it sit there, running, for about ten minutes. Then I moved it and examined the driveway. Sure enough, there was the tell-tale rainbow puddle. I stuck my finger in it and sniffed; gas. It looks to me like it is coming from the vicinity of the fuel filter, on the passenger side. I'm hoping that it is something simple. The filter is due for replacement anyway. I'm hoping that the thing is clogged and the "windward end" is leaking because of backpressure and a funky old clamp. Stay tuned.

This just in:

The job is done - mostly. There were no complications - mostly. The leak was indeed coming from the filter and it looks like it was at the junctions - the banjo bolt fittings. Of the four parts stores in the area only one had a filter in stock. Unfortunately it was Auto Zone. The cheapass filter they sold me did not come with new seals. They didn't have any either, or at least didn't feel like trying to figure out if they did. They guy who waited on me had trouble finding the filter in the computer because he tried looking for a "tool filter". He had to get help from another employee who actually knew something about car parts. In fact, when I was giving him the information about the car he asked who made it. He thought I said "Sub". So, I had to re-use the old seals. But it doesn't leak. I'm going to order some new seals. The filter on there was a Bosch. I have to wonder if it was the original. If so, it would be about 5X overdue for a change. It was pretty rusty, as is the bracket, and I think the possibility exists that a spot may have rusted through and that may have caused the leak, not the fittings. I wire-wheeled the bracket, painted it with several coats of Rustoleum before I put it back on.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I'm confused, it wouldn't start at the end of your shift.

Why not just drive it home or to a shop instead of put it on the ramps.
I work until midnight about 70 kms from where I live. If the car shut down on hwy 115, I'd be completely screwed. No way to get home except walk, on a highway, with no lights. Wasn't going to chance that.
I had gone out for lunch earlier and I guess the engine was still too hot for it to start back up after my shift.
It did go to a shop after I tried to deal with it myself.I only send the car to the shop if I absolutely need to.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I was under the impression that once the car starts you are more or less good until you turn it off again.
It's hit and miss. On both my 2004 9-3 ss and my wife's 2009 KIA Magentis/Optima SX, the cars just shut off while driving and wouldn't start again until the engine cooled right down (thankfully both times were close to home).

·
Registered
805 Posts
I took the plunge and replaced the valve cover gasket before the heat of the day set in...all in all, I’m very pleased with the state of the engine from what i could see from the top. All of the cam lobes looked new and no sludge anywhere. I could deflect the timing chain about 2.5 mm with finger pressure and the guide under the cover had only shallow grooves.
The gasket itself was easy as i had laid it out in it intended shape weeks ago (it was stuffed in a plastic wrap and a twisted mess when it arrived) and then set it in the recess with some vaseline to keep it in place. Worked like a charm!

D00ECBA9-481F-47C7-9AC2-DD500E9DE82B.jpeg

E619D876-A4AC-45B5-8ACF-B4F065D34159.jpeg

5121 - 5139 of 5139 Posts