SaabCentral Forums banner

5101 - 5120 of 5139 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Try acetone for the adhesive, put it on a rag and hold it on the sticky stuff and let it melt, minimal rubbing required.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've tried both goo gone and denatured alcohol very briefly. I'm worried about using strong solvents since they'll probably eat the paint just as easily.

I've seen rubber wheels that go in a drill that are supposed to remove adhesive well, anyone tried one of those?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I've tried both goo gone and denatured alcohol very briefly. I'm worried about using strong solvents since they'll probably eat the paint just as easily.

I've seen rubber wheels that go in a drill that are supposed to remove adhesive well, anyone tried one of those?
Try acetone, it won't damage the paint/clear coat and will dissolve the adhesive.

If you are apprehensive about acetone then try it on the underside of your trunk lid or inside a door jamb to check for yourself.

I have a buddy that burnt his paint using the rubber "eraser".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alright, thanks for the info. I'll get back out and soak it in acetone then! Beats buying another one-hit-wonder tool, especially if it can burn paint.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I just replaced the trim cover that sits ahead of the mirror, continuing the hood line, on my 2003. Junkyard had a silver 2003, so right year and colour (the mirror design changed for 2003, and remained that way until the end of the OG 9-5).

At the junkyard, I grabbed the foam insulator and the mirror screws. Just as well, it looks like someone was at the mirror before. The foam, and one of the screws, was missing. I suppose that's why the trim cover came loose some time in the winter, probably on the highway. Car looked kind of junky without that piece, as what's underneath is a grey black piece with hooks and tabs showing.

Which makes me wonder, there were two round connectors to the mirror, a white one and a black one. I thought the black one handled the adjustment motor and the memory. What does the white one do?

I just checked the passenger side mirror, which also has the black and white connectors, and is missing the foam stuffer as well. I wonder if it was a cost-saving move in my late-build 2003 (it has the later style "channel" key).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Which makes me wonder, there were two round connectors to the mirror, a white one and a black one. I thought the black one handled the adjustment motor and the memory. What does the white one do?
I don't know, but I think some Saabs had heated mirrors, so maybe that was the white connector?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could also be for the autodim feature. I believe they received a signal from the internal mirror.

As for what I did... I removed an engine.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
My door mirrors do none of that. :(
I took another look. Both LH and RH mirror have "grey" (looks white to me!) connector both ends, car harness and into mirror. H10-1 and H10-13. Two wires in positions 1 and 2, for autodimming

Therefore if I can find autodimming side mirrors, I can have autodimming side mirrors! It would be nice, with the number of pickup trucks with LED or HID "comversions", never mind the transport trucks with non-compliant lighting. (If you are in Europe, you probably have no idea what happens on North American highways.)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
We have same issue, super hyper extra bright (illegal) conversion leds/HIDs. We also have extremely bright led high beams (and idiot drivers who do not know how to change back to low beams).

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Drove it today. Its a nice car to drive indeed. 8.8 l/100 km to London ON yesterday. Not that great, but 130 km/hr its not like I expected better. Headwinds on the return trip ( 2.5 hours each way) caused the economy to change to 9.1/100 km. Aero is everything. I found towing my race cars BITD across the USA and Canada that I got better fuel economy with the trucks through the Rocky mountains, than towing across the endlessly flat prairie provinces. Headwinds and tailwinds. Tailwinds were huge help for sure. Probably going downhill in the mountains was even more of a help....

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I think you missed your subject in that picture. 😊
Such a critic. It’s actually a picture I took yesterday of the pine tree I planted in 1977 and the car was in the picture and it’s current. So I used it. And no , I probably won’t go out and take another one lol

·
Registered
614 Posts
continued sanding the epoxie primer in preparation for painting in a couple of weekends.
this is one the 2000 RED SLED Aero WAGON. Will try to post photos.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did this stuff not in a day, but over a couple weeks on my newly acquired 2007 auto sedan with 90k miles and services done that I got for $1700 from a friend of a friend (also have a modded manual 2000 Aero wagon):

Cleaned it inside and out for like 8 hours. Removed seats, cleaned door jambs, etc. This was the dirtiest car I have ever bought and every inch needed a good scrub. Smells much better now.
Replaced cabin air filter (definitely helped with the smell)
Polished headlights
Replaced brake switch and fuse
Replaced auto shifter jalouse (sp?)
Painted the chrome around the headlights and grill black
Forge diverter valve
Silicon vacuum lines
K&N open filter mod (I know, I know, but recommended for BCB stage 2, and I like the noises)
BCB stage 2 tune
BCPR7E-11 spark plugs (recommended for the tune)
Pireli P-zero all-season+ tires (had these on 2 other cars and they are great)

Think that's it. Probably going to keep it there as this is for daily use and I have a beefed up Saab already. It's very hard adjusting to an auto after 22 years of only driving manual, but the stop-and-go is much easier to handle. Quite a difference in the interiors between my 2000 and this one, the 2000 is much more solid and not so plastic-y. Still nice to drive everyday.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My collection. That's a 1986 Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest under the cover. One day I'll get around to putting it back together.

5101 - 5120 of 5139 Posts