SaabCentral Forums banner

5081 - 5100 of 5139 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Truth. Of course driving slowly when it’s a thaw and moon is bright ? Lessons learned. A long time ago a runaway horse jumped out of. Field onto the hood of my ‘64 Chev and walked away !!! It was in Quebec. Some 1896 law saying horse owners are responsible for their animals paid the repair lol
It wasn't so much the speed, but the timing. There was nothing and then all of sudden right by my license plate (glint from it's eye) was a Racoon sprinting acrross the road, hit the brakes and BAM!!!! Too late little fella.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a little cosmetic thing. The PO had a very minor carpark collision. The grille had a 1" long crack, and the lower mount slot 'rod' was broken off the headlight moulding. So I drilled that to take a carbon rod to which I've glued a short length of rubber hose that'll fit the grille slot easily. That's ready to epoxy in. The crack, I've drilled a 1/8" hole at the end of it to stop the crack going further, countersunk it and I've found 'in stock' a little solid aluminium rivet that fitted perfectly, polished the end of it and Cyano'd it in. (Jeez I'd hate to think of the cost of a new grille!!!) 2000 9-3.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Replaced the PCV oil trap - what a nightmare job! Ended up taking off the intake manifold, the new one would not fit from underneath... 6 hours... And a piece of the old trap in the sump...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Opened the bonnet... oil splashes all over the back of the engine... realised that the oil filler funnel wasn't properly sealed to the tube going down to the sump (I had taken it out a couple of days ago when I replaced the oil trap, see my other sob story...)
The o-ring I had quickly stuck on was too loose and wasn't sealing. Replaced o-ring with fatter one, all OK.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
My son has been using my 9-5 Aero Wagon, he told me today that the front brakes were grinding. I took the car, stopped at the parts place, picked up a set of pads and rotors. 49 minutes later the car was back on the ground and I was cleaning up.

It kind of sucks that the dealer had my car about a month ago to replace a wheel bearing on the right front and didn't tell me that the pads were paper thin. (mileage difference about 2000) It's not like they didn't have to take the caliper off to get the hub off to go press in the new bearing. I only had them do the bearing because it was the middle of feb and it was cold out. They could have said "hey, your front pads are almost gone" and I would have done them and not have had to do the rotors. They will hear about this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Replaced the water pump yesterday. A few days ago, I noticed red fluid on the plastic splash shield under the oil sump. Got a fright, as I thought it was hydraulic oil at first, but all the fittings on the power steering pump, cooler loop, hoses were clean and dry. Then I realised I'd changed the cooling fluid from blue to red a few weeks ago.

Saw the tell-tale pools on top of the block between the water pump and cobra pipe. But I couldn't be sure if the liquid was coming out of the o-ring on the back of the housing, the adapter o-ring(s) or the weep hole.

Someone nearby had a spare (new) pump lying around, so I bit the bullet and dismantled everything yesterday to get at the pump. Luckily, it was the weep hole - the bearing had gone, but all the o-rings were also 11 years old and in corresponding shape...

It took about 6 hours' unhurried work. The most difficult task was removing and replacing the (17mm) banjo bolt for the turbo water line, which sits on the bottom of the housing and is difficult to reach because of space. I ended up removing the power steering pump bracket to be able to see what I was doing:

Wet mess under the old pump.

New pump in situ - note the paper towel blocking the turbocharger - even a grain of dirt can cause havoc here.

Cooling fluid out of weep hole on old pump - I love a correct diagnosis!

All refilled, warmed up, topped up, no leaks anywhere.
Happy Saabing!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well done, that man! Yes, indeed. A correctly made diagnosis and rectification thereof is most satisfying. My hat is doffed.
Extra points for the photos. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Went outside to start her indoors' 2006 9-3T. It didn't.
This was a couple of weeks ago, which, after that much lockdown was as flatter than the proverbial pancake.
IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

We're sharing my '07 9-3T for now. No sense having it just sit there with a new battery. Any thoughts?

PS: Sorry for the huge and double photos. I couldn't figure it out...

·
Registered
'04 9-5 Aero Wgn, '01 9-5 Aero, '90 C900
15 Posts
Possible to bring it back? I'm kind of hesitant to try to jump newer cars, but maybe put a charger on it and see if it will still hold a charge.
I have an ancient Craftsman 2/10/60 amp charger, but I recently got a CTek charger/maintainer that I move around to various vehicles that don't move all the time. Short-term, even one of the $10 HF trickle chargers would keep it topped off. For some reason, even with a new battery, Saabs seem to have a lot of parasitic drain.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yesterday I pulled out the screeching turbo. It's a good rebuild candidate, no shaft play. Repaired a broken exhaust stud that's been annoying me for a while now. While the exhaust still sealed up after the engine warmed up, I hated the ticking when cold. And I seriously doubt the manifold stayed sealed under boost. Today I get to shoehorn the new cheep and cheerful Chinese turbo back into the car.

Yes. Cheap turbo. May last 5 minutes. May last forever. Who knows? It's a roll of the dice with those things. But in the meantime, I'll be rebuilding my proper TD04.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Today I did my first oil change on a Saab. It went perfectly to plan without any major problems - except for the oil filter. I think Eddie Hall handtightened it. It would NOT come loose, no matter what.

We took a screwdriver and hammered it through with a crowbar. The Jack I bought isnt very high, and we only had about 20cm of "swing" with the improv hammer. None the less, three hours later, we were able to turn the screwdriver and insert the new filter. I was a good guy and only tightened it a little this time. I'll keep the old filter as a souvenir

·
Registered
54 Posts
Today I did my first oil change on a Saab. It went perfectly to plan without any major problems - except for the oil filter. I think Eddie Hall handtightened it. It would NOT come loose, no matter what.

We took a screwdriver and hammered it through with a crowbar. The Jack I bought isnt very high, and we only had about 20cm of "swing" with the improv hammer. None the less, three hours later, we were able to turn the screwdriver and insert the new filter. I was a good guy and only tightened it a little this time. I'll keep the old filter as a souvenir

View attachment 273454
Also, the ecotanica plastic bucket is fantastic. I recommend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hahah, that's quite the souvenir. Thanks for sharing!

This week I swapped my side indicators for clears and removed the badges on the trunk. Still working on the last bit of adhesive reside. It's putting up quite a fight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hahah, that's quite the souvenir. Thanks for sharing!

This week I swapped my side indicators for clears and removed the badges on the trunk. Still working on the last bit of adhesive reside. It's putting up quite a fight.
I love how americans love the clear, and us europeans love the orange. I guess its just having something different:) I need to replace mine as they're quiet foggy, torn between EU and NA parts. My car is silver so the clears are clean, but NA is very rare here.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That residue is hard to get off. My “2” came off a while ago and i have tried contractors solvent and Goo Gone and it is still there. What are you using?

5081 - 5100 of 5139 Posts