SaabCentral Forums banner

5041 - 5060 of 5070 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replaced the timing belt side crankshaft oil seal. Let's hope it really was the source of the leak. The pressure switch is already done, the engine clean and dry. We shall see - technical inspection in 30 days!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I tapped some trim screws out to 1/4-20 and added eye bolts to clip in a cargo net for my hardhat, chalk bag, and gloves for work. Also will come in handy to dry towels and swim trunks after the beach :D Have to make the luggage compartment cover next ;)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Diesel has a large full undershield with square blocks. It is for noise reduction. I have a 1.9 and removed it on the first service. The Fiat / Vauxhall engine is quiet. Not a Swiss watch, but quite civilised.

The 2.2 (old Isuzu tug boat engine) is a different prospect and sounds like a T-34 engine cold-starting in -20C without it :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Replaced the water pump and thermostat on my 2001 9-5 2.3t.

That thermostat is a pain to get to when the wire harness next to it is all undone like mine is from the previous owner. Digging under a pile of wires to unbolt the thermostat isn't fun.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well, my summer tires were worn out so i had them removed and am now in the process of refinishing the rims. Two to this point so far...

D341E75E-A9CF-44B5-A423-D1D1279EFAA9.jpeg

97958347-CE1D-46C4-B353-74EA97616342.jpeg

This is after having them sandblasted and treating them with rattle can primer, silver metallic, and clear. They aren’t perfect but are better than they were. When the weather warms i will flat the spokes and polish them. I am pleased so far.

one question though; if it were you, would you replace the TPMS sensors? AFAIK, they are original. They worked when i took the wheels off but I believe they date back to ‘08...

thanks and Happy New Year!

s

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man, I love those wheels. Good work restoring them, shaggy.

I pulled a bunch of trim out of the donor car today; sun visor, switches, 3rd brake housing and some roof handles. Pretty exciting stuff!

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you can replace the battery in the TPMS sensor replace it. Otherwise if they work use them.

The 9000 is slowly coming apart in various areas as I have to wait on parts. Hopefully I will be able to get the fuel lines finished this weekend and get the tank remounted so I can do more engine diagnostics and work.I think I may pull the intake manifold tonight and shoot more video for the YT channel.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Since I have been working on Saab things every day for a month or two straight, here is a playlist of me working on those Saabs with videos of me rebuilding the Saab engine. There is balance shaft delete, timing chain replacement in and out of car, and pulling the engine from the top, plus other random things. Enjoy :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the videos Cap'n.

I just finished replacing the front control arms & ball joints, as well as dropping the sump while doing an oil change. Screen was incredibly clean, so I only had to replace the o-ring.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the videos Cap'n.

I just finished replacing the front control arms & ball joints, as well as dropping the sump while doing an oil change. Screen was incredibly clean, so I only had to replace the o-ring.
When I took my sump off I was surprised at how clean the screen was as well. And you are welcome for the videos. I am editing more as we "speak".

·
Registered
16 Posts

Today my backseat lamp broke, so I replaced the front and back, as well as the reading lights in the rear. Picture doesnt do it justice, but it's like daytime inside. Clinically white tho, like a glasses shop

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did the 666* modification to my Aero and my wifes Arc. Very easy with some spade connectors and a crimper. Took 20 minutes and that included searching around for the crimpers. I can't believe that these cars have had four halogen bulbs in there from the factory for 17 years that never once lit up. They all still work too and it was a pleasure to take the Aero for a ride on the dark back roads with a hell of a lot more light. Why would they have disabled these lights for the American market? Some government regulation? Obviously the NTSB or whatever agency enforces such things threw out that regulation or just ignores it now seeing how much light modern cars produce.

*This allows the inner, halogen bulbs to come on with the high beams in addition to the HID bulbs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did the 666* modification to my Aero and my wifes Arc. Very easy with some spade connectors and a crimper. Took 20 minutes and that included searching around for the crimpers. I can't believe that these cars have had four halogen bulbs in there from the factory for 17 years that never once lit up. They all still work too and it was a pleasure to take the Aero for a ride on the dark back roads with a hell of a lot more light. Why would they have disabled these lights for the American market? Some government regulation? Obviously the NTSB or whatever agency enforces such things threw out that regulation or just ignores it now seeing how much light modern cars produce.

*This allows the inner, halogen bulbs to come on with the high beams in addition to the HID bulbs.
did you use the relay designed for this or the wire method?

5041 - 5060 of 5070 Posts